Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy's first game under new head coach
I have always said, I want to give Andy at least a year under a new head coach before giving him boot.

Well one game in under the new scheme and new head coach, he broke his career completions and yards record. Yes, I know we lost. None of this will matter if we keep losing. However, breaking his career record in his first start under new coach ZT is not a coincidence.

Also, I haven't seen this many guys open for the Bengals in a long time. I noticed it in Pre-season, but the scheme has been excellent.

Next step-finishing drives.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I have always said, I want to give Andy at least a year under a new head coach before giving him boot.

Well one game in under the new scheme and new head coach, he broke his career completions and yards record. Yes, I know we lost. None of this will matter if we keep losing. However, breaking his career record in his first start under new coach ZT is not a coincidence.

Also, I haven't seen this many guys open for the Bengals in a long time. I noticed it in Pre-season, but the scheme has been excellent.

Next step-finishing drives.

Let's be honest, a big reason for Dalton's numbers was mostly due to the lack of rushing attempts. I guarantee you that if we run the ball 20 times a game, Dalton's numbers will be a bit lower. To be fair, we need to have rushing attack if we want to have a potent offensive attack.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's be honest, a big reason for Dalton's numbers was mostly due to the lack of rushing attempts. I guarantee you that if we run the ball 20 times a game, Dalton's numbers will be a bit lower. To be fair, we need to have rushing attack if we want to have a potent offensive attack.

Last year we probably would have run the ball about 15 more times for a total of 13 yards or something like that. Glad to see offensively we didn't let philosophy get in the way of practicality. Seems like Taylor is not afraid to throw the ball a lot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's be honest, a big reason for Dalton's numbers was mostly due to the lack of rushing attempts. I guarantee you that if we run the ball 20 times a game, Dalton's numbers will be a bit lower. To be fair, we need to have rushing attack if we want to have a potent offensive attack.

True but if you take 100 of those passing yards and make them running yards, that's still 300+ passing which comes out to 4.8k+ for the year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True but if you take 100 of those passing yards and make them running yards, that's still 300+ passing which comes out to 4.8k+ for the year. 

True and Dalton is still on pace for 32 TDs this season. Ninja
Reply/Quote

We have had plenty of games where he has had a lot of attempts. 51 was not his most attempts. He still never crossed 400 yards. I do agree though. I would be fine with 100+ rushing yards and 300+ passing. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 01:56 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We have had plenty of games where he has had a lot of attempts. 51 was not his most attempts. He still never crossed 400 yards. I do agree though. I would be fine with 100+ rushing yards and 300+ passing. 

What was his most? This one has to be pretty close.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What was his most? This one has to be pretty close.

54. Sept 18, 2016 against Pitt. 31 completions 57.4% 366 yards 1 TD 0 INT 84.3 QB rating. Interestingly enough, Dalton was only sacked once that game.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 54. Sept 18, 2016 against Pitt. 31 completions 57.4% 366 yards 1 TD 0 INT 84.3 QB rating. Interestingly enough, Dalton was only sacked once that game.

Just noticed. Dalton has thrown over 50 passes 4 times. All losses. In fact, the Bengals are 1-8 when Dalton attempts 45 or more passes in a game.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just noticed. Dalton has thrown over 50 passes 4 times. All losses. In fact, the Bengals are 1-8 when Dalton attempts 45 or more passes in a game.

Yeah, it’s probably never a good thing if your QB is throwing that much. Still, the run game was just not there. I’m totally fine with Taylor not being conservative, and airing it out. It almost worked.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, it’s probably never a good thing if your QB is throwing that much. Still, the run game was just not there. I’m totally fine with Taylor not being conservative, and airing it out. It almost worked.

Same here. It was refreshing to see a HC do something other than run-run-pass-punt in trying to force a running game to appear.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 03:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just noticed. Dalton has thrown over 50 passes 4 times. All losses. In fact, the Bengals are 1-8 when Dalton attempts 45 or more passes in a game.

A few years ago, i did a stat breakdown on his rating per number of throws...but i don't think i did win %. I should look that up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote