Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Andy the Bear.
(03-01-2020, 02:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Add up AJ on the franchise, extending Mixon, re-signing Billings, Eifert, and Vigil and you see the money will dry up quickly...You are talking about 7-8 million that could be spent on a FA.  No way in hell do I pay that...If I have to release, I would, but then the Bears have to sign Dalton to a deal...one that he will not accept 17 million for one year.  

Vigil and Eifert should certainly not break the bank, but I get what you’re saying. Retaining salary is never going to happen anyway, so it’s not really worth arguing over. I just don’t think it was such an out there suggestion that deserved to be jumped on like it was. If worked right, and we hit a home run with a higher pick it would be totally worth it. Picks are very important for a team like us as we all know. Hell, there’s still people willing to pass on Burrow for more picks...

But like I said it’s not happening.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 02:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Add up AJ on the franchise, extending Mixon, re-signing Billings, Eifert, and Vigil and you see the money will dry up quickly...You are talking about 7-8 million that could be spent on a FA.  No way in hell do I pay that...If I have to release, I would, but then the Bears have to sign Dalton to a deal...one that he will not accept 17 million for one year.  
 AJ would receive Daltons salary, Dre and Glenn money (18mil), existing cap space 27mil would give the team plenty of money for FAs and existing players. If they don't try to address the holes on the team with FAs this year then they never will.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 02:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Vigil and Eifert should certainly not break the bank, but I get what you’re saying. Retaining salary is never going to happen anyway, so it’s not really worth arguing over. I just don’t think it was such an out there suggestion that deserved to be jumped on like it was. If worked right, and we hit a home run with a higher pick it would be totally worth it. Picks are very important for a team like us as we all know. Hell, there’s still people willing to pass on Burrow for more picks...

But like I said it’s not happening.

I think Andy & 8mil for a mid second round pick would be a very good deal for the Bengals. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I don't care if we only get a 4th for Dalton, do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't care if we only get a 4th for Dalton, do it.

I'd be content with a 4th but also want them to maximize their return as long as it doesn't go too far into free agency. I think things will move quickly after Brady decides what he's doing.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:00 PM)Synric Wrote: I think Andy & 8mil for a mid second round pick would be a very good deal for the Bengals. 

Do you really think that the Bengals would go for something like that?  I mean, the team willing to trade is already getting an absolute bargain, with his $17.9M salary for the year.  I know that the Bengals are trying to do a good service to Andy, by trying to find him a good home via trade, but do you really think that they're going to be willing to pay $8M for him to play for another team?

Not that what you are proposing is a terrible deal, it just seems to be the opposite of what I've come to think of as the Bengal way of doing business.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 02:01 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bears only have 16mil in cap space so they would have to make cap space for Dalton and their draft picks not to mention for anyone they would like to sign in free agency.

A Dalton for Player trade would be more likely for the Bears...I would love to see Allen Robinson or Akiem Hicks but it would be more likely Leonard Floyd and say a 5th or 6th for Dalton. Floyd would free up 13 of the 17.7m needed for the Bears and give the Bengals another solid OLB for their hybrid 34.

Didn't they cut Gabriel and... someone to free up an additional 17.5 million?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do you really think that the Bengals would go for something like that?  I mean, the team willing to trade is already getting an absolute bargain, with his $17.9M salary for the year.  I know that the Bengals are trying to do a good service to Andy, by trying to find him a good home via trade, but do you really think that they're going to be willing to pay $8M for him to play for another team?

Not that what you are proposing is a terrible deal, it just seems to be the opposite of what I've come to think of as the Bengal way of doing business.

I can see them doing it with how they view the draft and buying a pick does happen in the NFL.

(03-01-2020, 05:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I can see them doing it the way they view the draf

Didn't they cut Gabriel and... someone to free up an additional 17.5 million?

Possibly I went by Over the Cap but I did read an article that said they have 25mil in cap space.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 02:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  AJ would receive Daltons salary, Dre and Glenn money (18mil), existing cap space 27mil would give the team plenty of money for FAs and existing players. If they don't try to address the holes on the team with FAs this year then they never will.

What about Billings, Vigil, Eifert, Dennard, and trying to extend Mixon?  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 05:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What about Billings, Vigil, Eifert, Dennard, and trying to extend Mixon?  
     $45 million should be plenty to sign existing and new FAs. Billings 700k salary, Vigils 600K, and Mixon 1.2 mil are under contract for 2020. None are players you pawn the season for because you are afraid to lose them. Eifert( 4mil) and Dennard(7.5 mil) should be happy to re-sign at little or no increase in salary. Re-signing players who fought their way to 2-14 should not be a top priority.
Reply/Quote
They are saying the Colts are also interested. I think he'd be a better fit there than the Bears. I dont care much what we get for him because we'll be lucky to get anything before we are forced to cut him anyway. We cant really play poker when everyone in the world knows we're drafting Burrow and moving on from Andy. Our biggest gain moving Andy is gaining his cap hit if he leaves. If we manage to land a pick or a player for him, thats excellent.
Reply/Quote
Here's why this is a good trade for the Bears. Mitch Trubisky is still under a rookie contract. The bears can absorb Daltons contract and still not be paying a high number for a QB. They could have a 1 year try of both QBs and make a decision on which to keep at the end of the season. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 01:24 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: If a team is only trying to acquire Dalton as a back up, then his contract is too big. If a team is looking to acquire him as their starter, he's pretty damn cheap.

Whether an option or not, there's no way the Bengals should offer to pay part of his contract to trade him. They can release him and it costs them absolutely nothing. So throwing in money to trade him would be a pretty dumb decision. Why lose any money when there's an option that would cost you zero money? I simply don't understand the that sort of thought process.

Additionally, if a team were willing to trade for Dalton but didn't want to pay him his cheap starting money there are other options. They could allow that team a window to try and work a deal with Dalton instead of just unnecessarily giving away money.

I understand that a lot of people cannot wait for Dalton to get out of town, but there's no reason to do dumb shit to make it happen.

That's a terrible take. If you can pay someone a few extra million to give you a second round pick instead of a 4th round pick for Dalton then the Bengals should jump at it.

Let's say the Bengals use that second round pick on a guard. With a second round guard you'd expect them to be a year one starter and to develop into an above average player. Under the NFL rookie wage scale you'd pay around $1.5m-$2m a year for four years with around $3.5m guaranteed.

To sign an equivalent player in free agency would cost, what, $7m-$8m a year with around $13.5m guaranteed?

That's conservatively a $5m a year saving over 4 years.

How much is $5m a year worth for 4 years?

(03-02-2020, 07:53 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:      $45 million should be plenty to sign existing and new FAs. Billings 700k salary, Vigils 600K, and Mixon 1.2 mil are under contract for 2020. None are players you pawn the season for because you are afraid to lose them. Eifert( 4mil) and Dennard(7.5 mil) should be happy to re-sign at little or no increase in salary. Re-signing players who fought their way to 2-14 should not be a top priority.

Mixon is under contract but Billings and Vigil are free agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 09:39 AM)bengaloo Wrote: They are saying the Colts are also interested. I think he'd be a better fit there than the Bears. I dont care much what we get for him because we'll be lucky to get anything before we are forced to cut him anyway. We cant really play poker when everyone in the world knows we're drafting Burrow and moving on from Andy. Our biggest gain moving Andy is gaining his cap hit if he leaves. If we manage to land a pick or a player for him, thats excellent.

I also read this morning that the Colts & Giants aren't interested in Brady. Hopefully they jump into the Dalton sweepstakes and drive up the return. Just looked up that they have their pick in every round, plus an extra 2nd rounder. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 07:53 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Billings 700k salary, Vigils 600K, and Mixon 1.2 mil are under contract for 2020. 

Billings and Vigil are both free agents this year

(03-02-2020, 07:53 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:   Eifert( 4mil) and Dennard(7.5 mil) should be happy to re-sign at little or no increase in salary.

Dennard was recovering from a season ending injury when we signed him last year.  It may take more to re-sign him this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Possibly I went by Over the Cap but I did read an article that said they have 25mil in cap space.

Don't forget the Bears have draft picks and injuries settlements too.  So you can immediately slash 18 million off their cap space for the rookie pool and injuries.

There's no way they can afford him.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 08:30 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Sorry for the obscure movie reference, but, it looks like Andy is now in play. Good sign as other teams may feel a sense of urgency to talk about a trade. Just need two interested teams competing to increase his value.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/andy-dalton-trade-bears-bengals-discussions/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverickJeff&fbclid=IwAR1lNFeSlHxiDkJ-bejCQnUntizTmS-hMI0QctQbof-8fdUrDLZB-vQ9XcY

saw Patriots and Colts also have contacted bengals…  nothing likely to happen till tom brady has a new home though....   Whole NFL is waiting on that I think
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 10:57 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't forget the Bears have draft picks and injuries settlements too.  So you can immediately slash 18 million off their cap space for the rookie pool and injuries.

they would just make a cut somewhere...
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 10:57 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't forget the Bears have draft picks and injuries settlements too.  So you can immediately slash 18 million off their cap space for the rookie pool and injuries.

Pretty sure Leonard is a cut candidate this year (13 mil, no dead money). Or maybe they restructure, but they do have some options to clear up space if they want him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: saw Patriots and Colts also have contacted bengals…  nothing likely to happen till tom brady has a new home though....   Whole NFL is waiting on that I think

If the Patriots offer more than a used jock strap for Dalton it makes me think they're quite sure his prime time and playoff woes are entirely on our coaching staff.
Reply/Quote