Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annual Free Agency Freakout
These boards are truly hilarious this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, and it seems to intensify, with every passing year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think what a lot of us see, are bad teams trying to improve themselves (Packers, Cardinals, Jets), yet the Bengals think the bad team last year just needs a new coach, all the personnel are fine. Just doesn’t mesh with what every other team in the league does coming off of a losing season(s).
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, and it seems to intensify, with every passing year.

At least it’s entertaining

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think what a lot of us see, are bad teams trying to improve themselves (Packers, Cardinals, Jets), yet the Bengals think the bad team last year just needs a new coach, all the personnel are fine. Just doesn’t mesh with what every other team in the league does coming off of a losing season(s).

So many years I hear that the Browns won free agency. And yet they only have a non-losing season about once every 10 years or so. I’m pretty sure, even with all these predictions of Browns’ greatness again for this year, that it won’t happen.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: So many years I hear that the Browns won free agency. And yet they only have a non-losing season about once every 10 years or so. I’m pretty sure, even with all these predictions of Browns’ greatness again for this year, that it won’t happen.

I don’t really care about “winning” free agency. I care about the team trying to improve and I’m not seeing it yet. So far it looks like they are content to rest on their laurels, which isn’t good for a 6-10 team. If it were one of the teams that was one and done in the playoffs, I could see just a coaching change to try and get over the hump, but this team is not close to that, personnel wise. It’s not panic or freak out, it’s disgust.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: So many years I hear that the Browns won free agency. And yet they only have a non-losing season about once every 10 years or so. I’m pretty sure, even with all these predictions of Browns’ greatness again for this year, that it won’t happen.

Greatness - not likely

Finishing ahead of us - likely
Reply/Quote
[quote='Yojimbo' pid='690994' dateline='1552431461']

I don’t really care about “winning” free agency. I care about the team trying to improve and I’m not seeing it yet. So far it looks like they are content to rest on their laurels, which isn’t good for a 6-10 team. If it were one of the teams that was one and done in the playoffs, I could see just a coaching change to try and get over the hump, but this team is not close to that, personnel wise.

At this point it’s way too early to say they’re resting on their laurels

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:59 PM)HuDey Wrote: Greatness - not likely

Finishing ahead of us - likely

At this point it’s way too early to say they’re resting on their laurels. And I don’t think it’s a given that they finish ahead of us. I’ve heard this all before.

Reply/Quote
Does anyone actually think the Cardinals are going to finish anywhere in that division but in the bottom half?

I've said it before, but I just find it so odd that people spend weeks saying "we know the Bengals aren't going to do anything right away in free agency"... and then they freak out after 24 hours of the Bengals doing nothing in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:01 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: At this point it’s way too early to say they’re resting on their laurels. And I don’t think it’s a given that they finish ahead of us. I’ve heard this all before.

It’s not a given but I really don’t like the way we match up with them at the moment and it will be hard to finish ahead of them if they take two from us.....Again.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:11 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Does anyone actually think the Cardinals are going to finish anywhere in that division but in the bottom half?

I've said it before, but I just find it so odd that people spend weeks saying "we know the Bengals aren't going to do anything right away in free agency"... and then they freak out after 24 hours of the Bengals doing nothing in free agency.

Every. Single. Year.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: At least it’s entertaining

Yes, but I worry how some people would handle true adversity in their real lives...

Here in late April, everyone will be high again when they draft their guy. It's the circle of life here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:11 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: These boards are truly hilarious this time of year.

And yet, when the team finishes between 7-9 and 5-11 in the regular season, we all remember the bargain binning that brought us lineman who can’t block, linebackers who can’t cover, and backups making marginal starter money and thus thrust into positions above their skill level. No one wants the team to blow out the cap. Rather, a reasoned FA period that nets some upside players in positions of need would be nice. The Bengals eschew this for bargain binning and over reliance on the draft. Whiff on drafts and the team sucks, as is the case now.

Stated another way: Who/when was the last FA signing of a guy who wasn’t on the team that made you say, “ Now that was an excellent move!” We don’t utter that much here. Even a move like offering the Jets a late rounder for Darron Lee would fit the shrewd definition. A player with skills that fit the modern NFL, and likely worth more than whoever the Bengals nab with a 5th/6th. Moves like that are what I’d like to see.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:11 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Does anyone actually think the Cardinals are going to finish anywhere in that division but in the bottom half?

And yet, the lowly Cardinals have multiple Playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance this century. People love to talk smack about the Browns, but they owned the Bengals last year, have been aggressive in FA again, and are likely going to finish above Cincy this year. The Browns are a legit Playoff threat now, and are run by a competent GM that makes moves to improve the team.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: So many years I hear that the Browns won free agency. And yet they only have a      non-losing season about once every 10 years or so. I’m pretty sure, even with all these predictions of Browns’ greatness again for this year, that it won’t happen.

Get your head out of the sand.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:13 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: And yet, the lowly Cardinals have multiple Playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance this century.  People love to talk smack about the Browns, but they owned the Bengals last year, have been aggressive in FA again, and are likely going to finish above Cincy this year.  The Browns are a legit Playoff threat now, and are run by a competent GM that makes moves to improve the team.

So what if the Cardinals were good years ago? Do you think these free agency moves they've made make them good now? I sure don't. It's lip service, nothing more... similar to what the Reds are doing in the hopes of finishing in 4th place this season, in all honesty.

The Browns "owned" the Bengals for one year - against Jeff Driskel at QB - and I'm supposed to be impressed? You're so confident in them you only say they're "likely" going to finish above us.

I don't care what moves they make, until they break their streak of 12 straight losing seasons - something even the Bengals of the 90s never did! - I'm not going to waste my time worrying about them. Put up or shut up, and they never do.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:14 PM)NKURyan Wrote: So what if the Cardinals were good years ago? Do you think these free agency moves they've made make them good now? I sure don't. It's lip service, nothing more... similar to what the Reds are doing in the hopes of finishing in 4th place this season, in all honesty.

The Browns "owned" the Bengals for one year - against Jeff Driskel at QB - and I'm supposed to be impressed? You're so confident in them you only say they're "likely" going to finish above us.

I don't care what moves they make, until they break their streak of 12 straight losing seasons - something even the Bengals of the 90s never did! - I'm not going to waste my time worrying about them. Put up or shut up, and they never do.

Exactly!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:14 PM)NKURyan Wrote: So what if the Cardinals were good years ago? Do you think these free agency moves they've made make them good now? I sure don't. It's lip service, nothing more... similar to what the Reds are doing in the hopes of finishing in 4th place this season, in all honesty.

You used the Cardinals as a straw man. Easy enough. What about the other 25 teams actively signing players? Will they also be terrible this year? And really, if you think the Browns deserve no worry, you’re willfully delusional or haven’t been paying attention. Their roster is pretty stacked, younger than ours, they have more draft picks of consequence, and have a legit GM. In other words, they’re the odds on favorite to win the AFC North. The Bengals are the favorites for 4th place in the Division.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:16 PM)jason Wrote: Yes, but I worry how some people would handle true adversity in their real lives...

Here in late April, everyone will be high again when they draft their guy. It's the circle of life here.

I'm guessing they handle it by crying while laying in the fetal position....
Reply/Quote