Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Annual reminder
With the free agency craziness nearly upon us, we need to remember a few things...in no particular order

1) The Bengals do not leak as a rule. If you hear something sourced as from the Bengals look to see who is reporting it. Leaks will usually come from a player's side.
2) Rumors are rumors not necessarily reality.
3) Just because you heard a player is interested in the Bengals or the Bengals interested in player, it does not mean the interest is actually mutual (for example Kevin Zeitler did NOT want to come back to Cincinnati last year...money wasn't the issue)
4) The Bengals will not overpay even with lots of cap space
5) your wish list is not the team's. Those players who were signed over the past 2 seasons weren't on many people's lists but it worked out just fine. (see item 3). Remember how many wanted Kenny Galliday last season...he was a bust for the Giants
6) Don't freak out if you hear nothing, especially in the tampering period (see item 1) about signees.
7) Don't freak out if you hear of one of our players going elsewhere. It turns out that Trey Hendrickson > Carl Lawson and Hilton and Awuzie > Wm Jackson III. But I will admit I will be sorely disappointed if CJ leaves. Seeing who moves on could give us hints as to the strategy.
8) The Bengals work on their own time...not ours

Having said that, I look forward to the rumors, freak outs, and overreactions that are bound to dominate the board next week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 01:36 PM)pally Wrote: With the free agency craziness nearly upon us, we need to remember a few things...in no particular order

1) The Bengals do not leak as a rule.  If you hear something sourced as from the Bengals look to see who is reporting it. Leaks will usually come from a player's side.
3) Just because you heard a player is interested in the Bengals or the Bengals interested in player, it does not mean the interest is actually mutual (for example Kevin Zeitler did NOT want to come back to Cincinnati last year...money wasn't the issue)
5) your wish list is not the team's.  Those players who were signed over the past 2 seasons weren't on many people's lists but it worked out just fine. (see item 3).  Remember how many wanted Kenny Galliday last season...he was a bust for the Giants
6) Don't freak out if you hear nothing, especially in the tampering period (see item 1) about signees.  
7) Don't freak out if you hear of one of our players going elsewhere.  It turns out that Trey Hendrickson > Carl Lawson and Hilton and Awuzie > Wm Jackson III.  But I will admit I will be sorely disappointed if CJ leaves.  Seeing who moves on could give us hints as to the strategy.

Having said that, I look forward to the rumors, freak outs, and overreactions that are bound to dominate the board next week

The Kevin Zeitler point is fascinating. I never heard that one, I must have missed it. Thanks for posting pally. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 01:36 PM)pally Wrote: With the free agency craziness nearly upon us, we need to remember a few things...in no particular order

1) The Bengals do not leak as a rule.  If you hear something sourced as from the Bengals look to see who is reporting it. Leaks will usually come from a player's side.
5) your wish list is not the team's.  Those players who were signed over the past 2 seasons weren't on many people's lists but it worked out just fine. (see item 3).  Remember how many wanted Kenny Galliday last season...he was a bust for the Giants
7) Don't freak out if you hear of one of our players going elsewhere.  It turns out that Trey Hendrickson > Carl Lawson and Hilton and Awuzie > Wm Jackson III.  But I will admit I will be sorely disappointed if CJ leaves.  Seeing who moves on could give us hints as to the strategy.

But it's so much fun listening to people freak.  Almost as much fun as reading back over the game day thread after a comeback win.
Reply/Quote

1) The Bengals do not leak as a rule. If you hear something sourced as from the Bengals look to see who is reporting it. Leaks will usually come from a player's side.
5) your wish list is not the team's. Those players who were signed over the past 2 seasons weren't on many people's lists but it worked out just fine. (see item 3). Remember how many wanted Kenny Galliday last season...he was a bust for the Giants
7) Don't freak out if you hear of one of our players going elsewhere. It turns out that Trey Hendrickson > Carl Lawson and Hilton and Awuzie > Wm Jackson III. But I will admit I will be sorely disappointed if CJ leaves. Seeing who moves on could give us hints as to the strategy.

The most logical and informative post that was needed to be heard by the masses. Thank you for this so I can save myself the frustration of arguing with my buddies and fellow fans when they suggest crazy signing’s because of what they heard online or tv. I can show them this post so they can see what I keep trying to tell them lol.
Reply/Quote
Kevin Zeitler going to the Ravens was hilarious. Bet he was rethinking that decision as he sat watching the play offs.
Reply/Quote
The freaking out is fantastic.  Especially when it turns into people deciding every player is the best/worst in the league when training camp hits.  We're just about to hit one of the more entertaining stretches of football, and this year with higher stakes it should be especially juicy  Popcorn
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Good post, but curious about the part on Zeitler. I had to go back and look but found the tweet about money actually being the issue. Was there something after this?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I can't believe we haven't signed ANYBODY from outside the organization yet. NOT ONE FA signing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can't believe we haven't signed ANYBODY from outside the organization yet. NOT ONE FA signing.

I hear ya.  The bengals must not want to improve.  I'm freaking out

Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can't believe we haven't signed ANYBODY from outside the organization yet. NOT ONE FA signing.

But we have kicked the tires...
Reply/Quote

Stop being such a drama queen.

No need to slit your wrists until the end of the first day of free agency.  Everything after that is just garbage time.
Reply/Quote
With the outstanding performance of the front office during the last two off seasons, I'm willing to wait to freak out until the day before the tampering period opens. Then I can't promise anything.
Reply/Quote

The Bengals Facebook just updated about Garth Brooks.  They could use him in short yardage as he isn't going down until the son comes up. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 04:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: But we have kicked the tires...

Unofficially.... can't be caught tampering with those tires.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 05:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Unofficially.... can't be caught tampering with those tires.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

Well according to Pac Man...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Good post, but curious about the part on Zeitler. I had to go back and look but found the tweet about money actually being the issue. Was there something after this?

It has been a while but it was something his wife said along the lines of it was nice to be wanted but they weren't ready to move back to Ohio.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 06:09 PM)pally Wrote: It has been a while but it was something his wife said along the lines of it was nice to be wanted but they weren't ready to move back to Ohio.  

Gotcha, appreciate that. 

Have to keep the wife happy, that is for sure.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well according to Pac Man...

Pac Man don't follow no rules!

Pac Man makes the rules!

Those rules are garbage!

[Image: InsignificantPossibleKiskadee-max-1mb.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 04:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stop being such a drama queen.

No need to slit your wrists until the end of the first day of free agency.  Everything after that is just garbage time.

You're right Fred..Wrist slitting doesn't even begin for another 15 minutes anyway..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote