Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anonymous AFC Personnel Director is not impressed with Burrow
(01-04-2022, 10:29 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: because someone has a different opinion than you or the popular opinion doesnt mean they are a dumbass just have a different opinion

Okay, dad.
Reply/Quote
Sounds salty… dudes in his 2nd season, first full season, top 10 in every statistical category top 5 in most, and to say he’s “not special by any stretch” seems pretty targeted. Oh well, probably an AFC North or Dolphins exec. Good thing opinions don’t dictate how good he is.
Reply/Quote
Sweet clickbait
Reply/Quote
Fantastic. More free motivation for Joe to tape to his locker.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 03:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-18-how-antonio-brown-s-meltdown-has-sealed-bucs-fate-joe-bur

Normally, when you give a take this ice cold, you're only doing it for the rage clicks, but this personnel director did it while remaining unnamed so what is his reason for being such a dumbass in this quote?

Can someone tweet this article to Joe? I'm sure he'd love to hear about how he's not special by any stretch.

The weird thing is the guy contradicts himself at the very end, he goes from saying he is "closer to his ceiling than people realize" but a sentence later literally says "He has dog in him and will find ways to continue to improve". In reality, the age thing is very true and was a bit of his knock coming out. That said the age thing is also an "old school" evaluation approach that expected QB's to retire around 33/34. Now with longer careers the reality is that a couple years doesn't make a ton of difference.

In terms of the evaluation, he isn't that far off the top 5 right now so he doesn't need to keep improving at the same rate. If you took Burrow right now and took away 5 interceptions without changing anything else he would be playing at an elite level. Learning to cut down on those interceptions isn't an age issue it is a reps issue you learn from playing in the league and that can improve. 

The one comment that makes no real sense to me is that he said the scheme is QB friendly, I don't see it. This isn't the Shannahan wide zone and boot scheme that we see Tannehill/Baker or half the league running. This has actually been a pretty intricate scheme with "multiple check with me's" and a heavy vertical attacking component.  I wish he would have expanded on that part a bit rather than the generic "QB friendly", because for most people anymore it just means "it doesn't suck".
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: If you took Burrow right now and took away 5 interceptions without changing anything else he would be playing at an elite level. 

I'd argue that even without taking away INTs, Joe is currently playing at an elite level. Dude is #1 in the league in comp % and yards per attempt and 2nd in qb rating.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:16 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: That dumass is evaluating arm strength only or its a trash website tryna generate clicks.

If its just a matter of system and joe really ain't shit... then why on earth don't everyone just install this magic "qb friendly" system??

If a 2nd tier qb can throw for the second most yards in 2 consecutive games in history, why wouldn't everyone run that system?

Yep. Not sure how QB "friendly" the situation is for JB considering he's been sacked over 80 times in less than 2 years which leads the NFL and been hit and pressured ranking somewhere in the top 3-4 of both. Can you imagine this kid with more protection and far fewer 3rd and long situations?
Reply/Quote
1) I don't totally disagree with his below quote since these are Super Bowl winning QBs, but if that's the only way to measure a top notch QB then there isn't much room for discussing QBs. So why bother?

Quote:He's not in the same class as (Patrick) Mahomes, (Tom) Brady or (Aaron) Rodgers.

2) The age quote is an overrated pro-sports trope. The NBA and NFL are guilty of focusing too much on an individual player's age around draft time. There often appears to be people valuing a younger player over talent at times. "So & so is good, but he's already 22 and had to play 4 years of college ball." That's not always bad thing, but some teams sure do like to get the younger guys. Being younger does not always equate to having a better career.

Anyhow, I'm good with Burrow's age and hope he joins the list of active Super Bowl winning QBs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dude is a Michigan Alum who used to be based out of SF and now LIVES in KC. Sounds like he's been butt hurt his whole life. Probably easy to guess the team based on where he lives.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Hell, didn't Kurt Warner not really show off how good he was until he came BACK to the NFL in his 30s?

Yep.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 06:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: It had credibility until right after the Rodgers/Mahommes/Brady comparison. That was a legit "criticism".

The other stuff? Age shouldn't matter as much as time in the league. I mean.....Chris Weinke was a 27 year old rookie. Remember that one dude in Cleveland? From Okla St? Being older didn't help them at all, and Weinke was a Heisman winner.

I don't get the age criticism thing at all. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 08:16 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: That dumass is evaluating arm strength only or its a trash website tryna generate clicks.

If its just a matter of system and joe really ain't shit... then why on earth don't everyone just install this magic "qb friendly" system??

If a 2nd tier qb can throw for the second most yards in 2 consecutive games in history, why wouldn't everyone run that system?

Exactly
Reply/Quote
So I guess Burrow completely outplaying Mahomes Sunday and against a better defense was meaningless…..
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: So I guess Burrow completely outplaying Mahomes Sunday and against a better defense was meaningless…..

Nah, I’m pretty sure the win still counts…

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 04:11 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mark Schlereth has been going at it with Bengals fans the past couple days on Twitter and it's gotten pretty embarrassing. 

I like Schlereth, but he does seem to be going after the Bengals players celebrating the North title a bit too hard. I don't get why he has the beef with them. I previously lived in CO and a sports talk radio show D-Mac, Schlereth, and Big Al always poked fun of the Bengals. Big Al being Alfred Williams, former Bengals DE-LB. Big Al talked about how he didn't know how to be a pro until he left the Bengals and he blamed the Bengals poor coaching staff, he'd knock Skyline, they always made fun of Lapham as radio guy for being a homer with bad calls, and they knocked living in any city as trash that wasn't a sunny Colorado city. I suppose they just like picking on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Ok so after reading this…….we should be able to insert 29yo Brandon Allen into the lineup and get the same results. Moving on now lol
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't get the age criticism thing at all. 

It's silly, I don't care how old a guy is if he's winning. Just because a guy is younger doesn't automatically mean he has a longer window to win it all.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 03:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-18-how-antonio-brown-s-meltdown-has-sealed-bucs-fate-joe-bur

Normally, when you give a take this ice cold, you're only doing it for the rage clicks, but this personnel director did it while remaining unnamed so what is his reason for being such a dumbass in this quote?

Can someone tweet this article to Joe? I'm sure he'd love to hear about how he's not special by any stretch.

in reading this as non biased as possible...there are some valid points  but there is a hint of jealousy or something in it which makes me think it is a guy from one of the AFC N teams. And can we stop trying to compare Burrow to Rodgers, Brady etc....  ?
he has along way to go before we start doing that and Im sure he feels the same way.  
But, that said...things are looking UP for Bengos....I mean give Burrow , GBs, TBs or KCs O lines and lets see what that looks like for the rest of the league for next 5 to 10 yrs.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: The weird thing is the guy contradicts himself at the very end, he goes from saying he is "closer to his ceiling than people realize" but a sentence later literally says "He has dog in him and will find ways to continue to improve". In reality, the age thing is very true and was a bit of his knock coming out. That said the age thing is also an "old school" evaluation approach that expected QB's to retire around 33/34. Now with longer careers the reality is that a couple years doesn't make a ton of difference.

In terms of the evaluation, he isn't that far off the top 5 right now so he doesn't need to keep improving at the same rate. If you took Burrow right now and took away 5 interceptions without changing anything else he would be playing at an elite level. Learning to cut down on those interceptions isn't an age issue it is a reps issue you learn from playing in the league and that can improve. 

The one comment that makes no real sense to me is that he said the scheme is QB friendly, I don't see it. This isn't the Shannahan wide zone and boot scheme that we see Tannehill/Baker or half the league running. This has actually been a pretty intricate scheme with "multiple check with me's" and a heavy vertical attacking component.  I wish he would have expanded on that part a bit rather than the generic "QB friendly", because for most people anymore it just means "it doesn't suck".

Yea, that last sentence basically turns his commentary into "He's closer to his ceiling than people realize....or maybe he isn't." It's a very unusual criticism. And plus, let's say he's very close to his ceiling right now, I still don't see how he isn't "special by any stretch." Is leading the league in completion percentage, yards per attempt, 2nd in QB rating, 5th in yards, 6th in TD and breaking records for yards and touchdowns in consecutive starts somehow not special? I just don't understand how this director came to this criticism.

If Joe Burrow stays at this exact production level for the rest of his career, he'll waltz into the Hall of Fame.

As for the system comment, I found that pretty infuriating. I think what he means is that Zac Taylor prioritized getting him weapons (top 40 pick and top 5 on outside WRs, one of the best slot WRs in the NFL, freshly signed franchise RB) but...that's not the system. That's the personnel. The system, as you said, seems pretty ***** complex. Joe is constantly making checks at the line, gathering intel, lots of option routes and yes/no calls based on the QB and the WR reading the same coverages, dissecting the defense and finding the weaknesses himself. I don't think that's a QB friendly offense at all. QB friendly offense implies the scheme is designed to make easy throws for the QB (think Texas Tech in the mid 2010s) such that the QB doesn't have to be special to rack up yards. I think that comment alone should disqualify this guy from even commenting on such things.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't get the age criticism thing at all. 

Me neither. I guess some people think you can’t grow and learn after age 25. I know I certainly have. Nobody is ever a finished product.

Brady’s passer ratings his first three full seasons never went higher than 86.5. From his age 27 season on he has never had a rating as low as any of his first three years (minus his half game in the injury shortened season).

Brady never had a passer rating over 100 for a season until he was 30. He’s had 8 since.

Age has nothing to do with a players potential.

Joe is the kind of guy who’s never going to stop improving. You can tell from the way he carries himself.
Reply/Quote