Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Casualty of Vietnam
Some of you likely know about this, but the effects of Agent Orange on veterans of Vietnam has been lasting, and in some cases has even caused medical problems for their children. My father, who first introduced me to the old forum years ago, is one of the most recent casualties of Vietnam as his fight with his exposure related illnesses took too much of a toll on his body yesterday in the early hours of the morning. He has spent the last 5 months at the VA medical center in Martinsburg, having been admitted on July 1. There have been ups and downs since then, but we were not expecting him to ever be living back home. He did get passes, though, because he was doing well enough to come visit, and he had just such a pass for Thanksgiving. He came home on Wednesday and spent a great few days with friends and family. He was expected back on Sunday but he apparently decided it was time and he wanted to go out on his own terms.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along because I want to point out that while there are many instances of things our government does that is absolutely ****** up, including exposing our military personnel to these chemicals in the first place, they still do some great things. The VA gave my father some tremendous care over the years and especially over these past 5 months. He survived 17 years with Chronic Lymphocyctic Leukemia and that is do in large part to the benefits and direct care of the VA. They catch a lot of shit, but there are example of them doing great things. It's just sad that there are times when it is as necessary as it is in cases like this.

[Image: 314772_1922661786348_924667_n.jpg?_nc_ca...e=5E42EDF1]

[Image: 215855_1632552533798_7867823_n.jpg?_nc_c...e=5E7A086F]

[Image: 50827323_653390369501_842857282101313536...e=5E441F7E]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Your father is my hero. Rest easy soldier.

As to the VA: A lot of folks like to complain about the care that they are not required to pay for. For instance, as a retiree my meds are free if I get them at a military pharmacy. Every time I go for refills there are so many people complaining about the wait. I'm quick to remind them that Walgreen's accepts Tricare and they can get their meds filled there for a price.

Although we disagree on a great many things; I admire your POV on this matter and I pray for yours and your family's comfort in this time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I'm very sorry to hear this Matt. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

This hits pretty close to home. Ive volunteered for various VA causes since I was in the 3rd grade when my mother started working their, shortly before my purple heart recipient uncle's life was saved (for the first time) through their efforts fighting cancer as well... Probably from the same root cause.

You are right. The people who work at the VA have their hearts and intentions in the right place. Heaping shit on them for political points is about as cowardly as it gets. Not to mention the fact we shouldn't be placing our young men and women in positions where their long term health is an unknown in the first place.

RIP.
Sorry for your loss, Matt. May your family find peace. I wish that I had something clever and witty to say, but I don't. So, just know that my heart goes out to you and your family tonight.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Sorry for you and your families loss. Much respect for your father.

Good thoughts to all of you Matt.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry to hear this Matt. He sounds like he was a good man who was taken too early.
I hate to hear this... I'm sorry Bels.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I am so sorry for you. My condolences.
My condolences.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Matt. I'm glad to hear he was treated so well by the VA and spent his last days surrounded by friends and family at home.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]