Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another Instance of Bungledom - Fat Randy & The Onside Kick
I can't remember ever seeing this before. Plenty of onside kicks are touched before they travel the requisite 10 yards, but very few actually die a slow and painful (and dizzy) death after traveling a mere 5 yards. I lol'd. There's entertainment to be had from this team, but you have to know where to look.

If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That was some embarrassing shit lol

Reply/Quote
I think they actually put Randy in a bad spot. They wanted him to onsides, but they didn't want NE to be able to recover and take time off clock.

Randy has been one of the better Bengals this year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think they actually put Randy in a bad spot. They wanted him to onsides, but they didn't want NE to be able to recover and take time off clock.

Randy has been one of the better Bengals this year.

wut

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:33 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I can't remember ever seeing this before. Plenty of onside kicks are touched before they travel the requisite 10 yards, but very few actually die a slow and painful (and dizzy) death after traveling a mere 5 yards. I lol'd. There's entertainment to be had from this team, but you have to know where to look.

he spun the hell out of that ball though

really even if we got that ball what we gonna do with it?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he spun the hell out of that ball though

really even if we got that ball what we gonna do with it?

I'm not qualified to answer that question. 

Reply/Quote
That was some funny shit....cue the Benny Hill Theme!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
So what that kick was supposed to do is actually slowly drift over the 10 yard mark so then a scrum of guys can just wall up and dive on the ball as soon as it makes it 10 yards versus a kick that gets 10 yards quickly. With the new rules around kick offs, the old style of pop up onside have kind of died because the kicking team can no longer get a running start hence why onside kick rates have declined. The kick Bullock was going for is tough to do, you are talking kicking an area on the ball about an inch or two wide at exactly the right angle. It's a low probability kick but so is the onside in general.

A lot of teams are trying to experiment with different approaches to onside kicks, my guess is they actually got that to work in practice he simply kicked it better to get the 10 yards he needed which really is just an inch one way or the other on ball striking. This seems pretty low on the list to get bent out of shape over.
Reply/Quote
This is more a product of the rule change where kicking team can't get a running start on onsides kicks anymore. Since the rule change, I think there have been only 2 successful onsides kicks, both of which were botched by the receiving team. It's damn near impossible to recover one anymore. Randy was trying to give his guys a chance by kicking a slow spinner. Unfortunately it didn't go 10 yards.

EDIT: Au165 beat me to it lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: So what that kick was supposed to do is actually slowly drift over the 10 yard mark so then a scrum of guys can just wall up and dive on the ball as soon as it makes it 10 yards versus a kick that gets 10 yards quickly. With the new rules around kick offs, the old style of pop up onside have kind of died because the kicking team can no longer get a running start hence why onside kick rates have declined. The kick Bullock was going for is tough to do, you are talking kicking an area on the ball about an inch or two wide at exactly the right angle. It's a low probability kick but so is the onside in general.

A lot of teams are trying to experiment with different approaches to onside kicks, my guess is they actually got that to work in practice he simply kicked it better to get the 10 yards he needed which really is just an inch one way or the other on ball striking. This seems pretty low on the list to get bent out of shape over.

This begs the question -- 

Who in this thread appears to be "bent out of shape?"

Reply/Quote
Its plays like that, and plays like Hills playoff fumble and Carsons busted knee that make words like "Bungalized" seem like they should be in a real dictionary.

One more loss and we got our dude. Go Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:39 PM)Fullrock Wrote: This is more a product of the rule change where kicking team can't get a running start on onsides kicks anymore. Since the rule change, I think there have been only 2 successful onsides kicks, both of which were botched by the receiving team. It's damn near impossible to recover one anymore. Randy was trying to give his guys a chance by kicking a slow spinner. Unfortunately it didn't go 10 yards.

Seems teams are trying to kick it and have it roll really slow for the 10 yards and break like a golf put the past 2 weeks.

I think that's what Randy was trying. He just didn't kick it hard enough.

It looks bad, but it's such a low percentage thing that oh well.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:39 PM)Fullrock Wrote: This is more a product of the rule change where kicking team can't get a running start on onsides kicks anymore. Since the rule change, I think there have been only 2 successful onsides kicks, both of which were botched by the receiving team. It's damn near impossible to recover one anymore. Randy was trying to give his guys a chance by kicking a slow spinner. Unfortunately it didn't go 10 yards.

Exactly, they’ve almost eliminated the possibility of recovering an onside kick.
Reply/Quote
We all knew Randy doesn’t have the leg for the long kicks, but this was pathetic. Fat Randy needs to be handed his walking papers this offseason. Meanwhile, the 5th round pick the Bengals burned on a kicker is a working out well.... for the Eagles.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I think it was ATL a couple weeks ago that recovered 2 in a row and almost a 3rd. Am I mistaken?

Yes, the onside kick, as well as special teams play as a whole, is being phased out of the game.

Reply/Quote
If Randy puts on another 50 pounds in the offseason he could be a decent pulling guard...
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:43 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: We all knew Randy doesn’t have the leg for the long kicks, but this was pathetic.  Fat Randy needs to be handed his walking papers this offseason.  Meanwhile, the 5th round pick the Bengals burned on a kicker is a working out well.... for the Eagles.

Yeah, he's 23-27 on FG and perfect on extra points. Such a huge problem on this 1-13 football team. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:16 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Yeah, he's 23-27 on FG and perfect on extra points. Such a huge problem on this 1-13 football team. 

You need kickers than can hit from 50+ yards.  If I read correctly, he is 2 of 7 in the last two years.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You need kickers than can hit from 50+ yards.  If I read correctly, he is 2 of 7 in the last two years.  

Have you watched kickers this year? There is a big lack of kicking talent in the league. If you have one who has only missed 4 FG and is perfect on extra points you don't complain about him, especially on a 1-13 football team with so many other glaring issues. 
Reply/Quote
Randy has been solid this year. That spinning play was dam near impossible to pull off. Our kicking game isn't near as weak as it was.
Reply/Quote