Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does the Koran say about being gay?
http://www.newsweek.com/what-does-koran-say-about-being-gay-470570

It's a rather long article (from this past summer) so I won't copy and paste the whole thing, but it was an interesting read on how people interpret things and believe the parts they want to believe.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-10-2017, 10:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.newsweek.com/what-does-koran-say-about-being-gay-470570

It's a rather long article (from this past summer) so I won't copy and paste the whole thing, but it was an interesting read on how people interpret things and believe the parts they want to believe.

As with any religious texts, interpretation is what it all boils down to. I can make arguments that the Bible does not say that being gay, and acting on it, is a sin. But that is all based on interpretation and people will disagree. When people seek to find the worst in anything like this, they will seek the interpretation that confirms their biases. Plain and simple.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-10-2017, 11:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: As with any religious texts, interpretation is what it all boils down to. I can make arguments that the Bible does not say that being gay, and acting on it, is a sin. But that is all based on interpretation and people will disagree. When people seek to find the worst in anything like this, they will seek the interpretation that confirms their biases. Plain and simple.

As a product of Catholic school I have an easier time deconstructing those beliefs and interpretations.

I find it interesting to learn about our religions and how they reached their "public opinions."  Reading that article only shows that there is not a monlyth called "Islam" anymore than there is one Christian belief system.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-10-2017, 10:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.newsweek.com/what-does-koran-say-about-being-gay-470570

Lots of interesting information there. The kind of article I wish had wider circulation, though I can think of some who would just refuse to read it.

As recently as last year, during a British televised debate on the subject of whether one could be both Muslim and gay, some Muslim guests claimed that this was a moot question because “Islam” does not ask Muslims to conform to a particular sexual orientation (another modern concept).

Muslims do believe, however, that it is their duty to seek out marriage and have children, which is not the same thing as sticking to a sexual orientation, though some have interpreted it as such.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-10-2017, 11:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: As with any religious texts, interpretation is what it all boils down to. I can make arguments that the Bible does not say that being gay, and acting on it, is a sin. But that is all based on interpretation and people will disagree. When people seek to find the worst in anything like this, they will seek the interpretation that confirms their biases. Plain and simple.

And I would add that it is not only believers who seek the interpretation that confirms their biases.

One salient feature of current US discourse about Islam is the tendency to select versions of Islam and Muslim nations which confirm their biases. I am only aware of one country in the world which bans women from driving (though no official law states this), but we often hear people ask why "They" do that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]