Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repeating History
1993:
0-10 start
Young offensive-minded HC that looked in over his head
Drafted a young hot shot QB 1st overall
That QB was pummeled behind an awful line (83 sacks in 24 starts)

2019:
0-10 start
Young offensive-minded HC that looks in over his head
About to draft a young hot shot QB 1st overall
...can you guess what happens next?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1993:
0-10 start

2019:
0-10 start

SUPER BOWL BABAY!!!
Reply/Quote
At least this time around, the hot shot rookie can co host the opening act as 1st year starters. We'll have Jonah Williams. It'll be like having two (2) first round picks in the same draft!

Bet you never heard that one before, now have ya? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least this time around, the hot shot rookie can co host the opening act as 1st year starters.  We'll have Jonah Williams.  It'll be like having two (2) first round picks in the same draft!

Bet you never heard that one before, now have ya?   Ninja

Whoo boy. Tone down the enthusiasm, Geoff. My heart can't handle the excitement.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Damn!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least this time around, the hot shot rookie can co host the opening act as 1st year starters.  We'll have Jonah Williams.  It'll be like having two (2) first round picks in the same draft!

Don't forget that Bobby Hart will have another 16 starts to add to his resume so the offensive line is looking pretty good for next year.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart only 25 years old. Entering his prime!
Reply/Quote
0-10 start

2019:
0-10 start

Didn't we sweep the Steelers on our way to a 3-13 season in 1993? So you're saying next year we're sweeping the Steelers?! SWEET!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
0-10 start

2019:
0-10 start

That QB in 1993 was from a relatively small school that used an offensive scheme similar to Chip Kelley did in college.  Burrow is from an SEC team, and playing at the highest level against the highest competition.  Joe Brady has deployed an NFL pro style offense and Burrow is making all the right decisions.  

I agree that the O-Line is a mess.  But the team can get J. Williams at OT, and draft Austin Jackson an OT prospect that if he declares will be IMO similar to Big Willie.  They could get one of the stud guards.  If Williams works out at either OT position and the Bengals can get Kindley at guard, this will fix some things on offense.  The defense is mainly backers but I think CB is now an issue.  

There is more than one pick in a draft. It is not like after the first pick there won't be OL players to pick later. There are some hidden good ones in this draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That QB in 1993 was from a relatively small school that used an offensive scheme similar to Chip Kelley did in college.  Burrow is from an SEC team, and playing at the highest level against the highest competition.  Joe Brady has deployed an NFL pro style offense and Burrow is making all the right decisions.  

I agree that the O-Line is a mess.  But the team can get J. Williams at OT, and draft Austin Jackson an OT prospect that if he declares will be IMO similar to Big Willie.  They could get one of the stud guards.  If Williams works out at either OT position and the Bengals can get Kindley at guard, this will fix some things on offense.  The defense is mainly backers but I think CB is now an issue.  

There is more than one pick in a draft.  It is not like after the first pick there won't be OL players to pick later.  There are some hidden good ones in this draft.

That's a lot of "ifs."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Don't forget John Ross has barely played so could be classed a rookie, Billy Price missed games through injury and has had to deal with learning a new position.

So basically with new #1 pick, Williams, Ross and Price we basically have four #1's - overflowing with blue chip talent  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
0-10 start

2019:
0-10 start

Zac Taylor goes to work for a Steakhouse?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That QB in 1993 was from a relatively small school that used an offensive scheme similar to Chip Kelley did in college.  Burrow is from an SEC team, and playing at the highest level against the highest competition.  Joe Brady has deployed an NFL pro style offense and Burrow is making all the right decisions.  

There is more than one pick in a draft.  It is not like after the first pick there won't be OL players to pick later.  There are some hidden good ones in this draft.

I hated that pick ALMOST as much as the Akili Smith pick.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
0-10 start

2019:
0-10 start

A franchise record number of loses over a two year period?

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least this time around, the hot shot rookie can co host the opening act as 1st year starters. We'll have Jonah Williams. It'll be like having two (2) first round picks in the same draft!

Bet you never heard that one before, now have ya? Ninja

3 when you count John Ross... Rebuild complete!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 12:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't we sweep the Steelers on our way to a 3-13 season in 1993? So you're saying next year we're sweeping the Steelers?! SWEET!

I think that was 1998 when we swept the Steelers and went 3-13. Neil O'Donnell won one and Jeff Blake won the other.

Blake actually had a better record against the Steelers than Palmer or Dalton, which makes zero sense.

This thread was kinda tongue in cheek. I just think the similarities are kinda funny/scary. I love Joe Burrow as a prospect, and hope we take him.

(11-20-2019, 03:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hated that pick ALMOST as much as the Akili Smith pick.

Well Klingler signaled the end for Boomer. Sort of.
Reply/Quote