Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another benefit of 2-14
We will have first dibs on the waiver wire for any player with 4 years or less experience who gets released. I don't think it will help us snag any big stars, but we still have a very new coaching staff and they are not bound by loyalty to all the guys who were here before they arrived. So I bet we see some guys make the final roster that are on other teams right now.

With the loss of Tupou and Glasglow I am sure they will be scouring the waiver wire for DTs. And the guys competing for the final roster spots on the O-line could easily be replaced by players released from other teams.

Fans don't realize how often bottom of the roster guys end up starting. Each of the last two years Tony McRae has started games for us at CB. Andrew Brown started a game at DT last year. In 2018 TE Matt Lengle and CB KeiVarae Russell started for us. Every year every NFL team has to deal with injuries. We usually aren't too concerned about the bottom of the roster until those guys have to play. And it is not that unusual at all for a player who is not even of the roster at the beginning of the season to be signed and start later in the year.

Some teams have extra talent at certain positions. They usually try to trade them, but many times they end up releasing good players. Not great players, but players much better than we have at the bottom of our roster.

This could end up being a big benefit to us.
Reply/Quote
I agree. Case in point, Fred Johnson 2019.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  Case in point, Fred Johnson 2019.

Exactly.  Even if Johnson does not win a starting job he still looks like a major upgrade for our depth at O-line.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We will have first dibs on the waiver wire for any player with 4 years or less experience who gets released.  I don't think it will help us snag any big stars, but we still have a very new coaching staff and they are not bound by loyalty to all the guys who were here before they arrived.   So I bet we see some guys make the final roster that are on other teams right now.

With the loss of Tupou and Glasglow I am sure they will be scouring the waiver wire for DTs.  And the guys competing for the final roster spots on the O-line could easily be replaced by players released from other teams.

Fans don't realize how often bottom of the roster guys end up starting.  Each of the last two years Tony McRae has started games for us at CB.  Andrew Brown started a game at DT last year.  In 2018 TE Matt Lengle and CB KeiVarae Russell started for us.  Every year every NFL team has to deal with injuries.  We usually aren't too concerned about the bottom of the roster until those guys have to play.  And it is not that unusual at all for a player who is not even of the roster at the beginning of the season to be signed and start later in the year.

Some teams have extra talent at certain positions.  They usually try to trade them, but many times they end up releasing good players.  Not great players, but players much better than we have at the bottom of our roster.

This could end up being a big benefit to us.

Couldn't have a better time to be the worst team in the league lol
Reply/Quote