Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another bombshell?
PFF lists top remaining free agents and trade candidates and their ideal landing spots.  Jonah and his knees to the Jets.  And to the Bengals:

RB AUSTIN EKELER, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Possible Landing Spots: Chicago Bears, Washington Commanders, Cincinnati Bengals

Ekeler may find the market for his services a weak one even if he is an underpaid asset on the Chargers. Potential landing spots have been signing running backs over the last several days, leaving obvious destinations thin on the ground. Any team that does make the move will be getting one of the most dynamic pass-catching backs in the league who can carry his weight rushing as well. Ekeler has recorded over 100 targets twice in his career and more than 50 for the last five seasons. He has gained 1.9 yards per route run over his entire career and is an excellent all-around back for today’s NFL.

Best Fit: Cincinnati Bengals

I could be down with this.
Reply/Quote
Ekeler is in the last year of his contract so it would cost a draft pick just to get him. Then you have to contend with Ekeler's demands. He is already unhappy about his pay at almost 8 million dollars this year so he wants a big raise in pay and new contract. Does anyone actually think the Bengals are going to give up a draft pick then turn around and sign another big RB contract when they may be trying to get rid of Mixon and his large contract? It would be nice to have Ekeler but he isnt worth what it would cost to get him.
Reply/Quote
Don't pay big money to RBs, and Ekeler is a RB heading into his age 28 season who wants a new deal.

Now if he's coming with the knowledge, acceptance, and willingness to be just a 1 year rental piece to try to win a SB before going to FA? I'd certainly entertain that depending on the pick needed to get him. If it's a 2nd or 3rd, I would rather just draft a RB with that pick and get him for 4 years, but a 4th or later? Sure. But if he's determined that wherever he goes he needs a new deal, no thanks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd take him for a year rental or maybe a 2 year deal. But again he's an aging RB and this draft evidently is loaded with RB's to pick from.

Maybe a 5th rounder would be enough.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Ekeler is amazing and a great player to have in fantast football, but that said he doesn't fit the Bengals at all. The team already has 3 guys who have a high target demand in Higgins, Boyd and Chase. Adding a disgruntled back who is going to see his production cut down as he'd get less targets then he wants isn't a great fit.

The best fit that was out there at RB for this team was Devin Singletary. Would have been affordable and not looking to break the bank nor would he have to be the focal point of the offense.

At this point if you want a veteran so you can let Mixon go there is still two solid options. One is Jeff Wilson Jr, and the other is D'Onta Foreman. Neither should break the bank and both would be nice to pair with a mid round rookie.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ekeler is amazing and a great player to have in fantast football, but that said he doesn't fit the Bengals at all. The team already has 3 guys who have a high target demand in Higgins, Boyd and Chase. Adding a disgruntled back who is going to see his production cut down as he'd get less targets then he wants isn't a great fit.

The best fit that was out there at RB for this team was Devin Singletary. Would have been affordable and not looking to break the bank nor would he have to be the focal point of the offense.

At this point if you want a veteran so you can let Mixon go there is still two solid options. One is Jeff Wilson Jr, and the other is D'Onta Foreman. Neither should break the bank and both would be nice to pair with a mid round rookie.

Foreman signed with the Bears
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:04 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Foreman signed with the Bears

Well hell... 

Looks like Jeff Wilson Jr would be the target.

Reply/Quote
Great points, everyone. It's too bad the Chargers have Slater at LT. Jonah for Ekeler........
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 07:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't pay big money to RBs, and Ekeler is a RB heading into his age 28 season who wants a new deal.

Now if he's coming with the knowledge, acceptance, and willingness to be just a 1 year rental piece to try to win a SB before going to FA? I'd certainly entertain that depending on the pick needed to get him. If it's a 2nd or 3rd, I would rather just draft a RB with that pick and get him for 4 years, but a 4th or later? Sure. But if he's determined that wherever he goes he needs a new deal, no thanks.

What TLL said, Ekeler would have to accept a 1 year deal chasing a ring at this point. No to paying a RB big money again.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Well hell... 

Looks like Jeff Wilson Jr would be the target.

He re-signed with the Dolphins.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He re-signed with the Dolphins.

Missing all the updates on twitter apparently.

Welp, guess Mixon stays and we draft a rookie.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Missing all the updates on twitter apparently.

Welp, guess Mixon stays and we draft a rookie.

Hard pass on the former, I think the latter was always happening.

D'Ernest Johnson was the last remaining RB I wanted to sign in FA to go with a drafted RB but he went to the Jags today. Now my opinion on RB is just cut Mixon and draft one early and another one late/Priority UDFA.

Reply/Quote
Easy pass for me
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ekeler is amazing and a great player to have in fantast football, but that said he doesn't fit the Bengals at all. The team already has 3 guys who have a high target demand in Higgins, Boyd and Chase. Adding a disgruntled back who is going to see his production cut down as he'd get less targets then he wants isn't a great fit.

Actually, as a player Ekeler fits what the Bengals are looking for to a tee, it's his contract and mileage on the body that isn't the perfect fit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 08:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, as a player Ekeler fits what the Bengals are looking for to a tee, it's his contract and mileage on the body that isn't the perfect fit.

Is there a way to cut Mixon and then use that money to give Ekeler a nice two year deal? I don't know how much Ekeler is wanting.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:06 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Is there a way to cut Mixon and then use that money to give Ekeler a nice two year deal? I don't know how much Ekeler is wanting.

I don't know either, but I'm guessing that he wants top 3 money.  The dude just produces a ton of TDs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know either, but I'm guessing that he wants top 3 money.  The dude just produces a ton of TDs.

He's likely got a couple good seasons in him but top 3 money isn't worth it unless it can be squeezed in for 1 or 2 seasons without hurting the overall roster construction.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind cutting Mixon and using the money to sign Kareem Hunt and Jerrick McKinnon to replace the Mixon/Perine dynamic
Reply/Quote
Roll with Mixon and Trayveon and draft Gibbs or Spears. True RBBC and if Joe doesn't up his productivity this year, cut next year for a smaller dead cap hit.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 12:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hard pass on the former, I think the latter was always happening.

D'Ernest Johnson was the last remaining RB I wanted to sign in FA to go with a drafted RB but he went to the Jags today. Now my opinion on RB is just cut Mixon and draft one early and another one late/Priority UDFA.

I still like McKinnon if he is still available and his neck is alright. Should be, he played in the SB with it.

(03-23-2023, 08:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, as a player Ekeler fits what the Bengals are looking for to a tee, it's his contract and mileage on the body that isn't the perfect fit.

Truth, Ekeler fits as a player perfectly for our Offense, the dough don't fit.

(03-23-2023, 10:11 AM)CincyWestside Wrote: I wouldn't mind cutting Mixon and using the money to sign Kareem Hunt and Jerrick McKinnon to replace the Mixon/Perine dynamic

Doubt we add Hunt with his character issues, yes to McKinnon.
Reply/Quote