Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another coach hired
And we thought they were done

Former Bucs and Bengals (under LeBeau) DC Mark Duffner is being added to the staff as a Senior Defensive Assistant. Lots of coaching experience including HC at the college level. Lots and lots of experience as Linebacker coach. He becomes the oldest coach on the staff

http://coachesinc.com/clients/football/professional/mark-duffner

DUFFNER AT A GLANCE
Year, Position

1972-74, William & Mary, Player
1975-76, Ohio State, Graduate Assistant
1977-1980, University of Cincinnati, Defensive Coordinator
1981-85, The College of the Holy Cross, Defensive Coordinator
1986-91, The College of the Holy Cross, Head Coach
1992-96, University of Maryland, Head Coach
1997-2000, Cincinnati Bengals, Linebackers Coach
2001-02, Cincinnati Bengals, Defensive Coordinator
2003-05, Green Bay Packers, Linebackers Coach
2006-13, Jacksonville Jaguars, Linebackers Coach
2014-15, Miami Dolphins, Linebackers Coach
2016-, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Linebackers Coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Experience and familiarity. Like it.
Reply/Quote
Sounds good
Reply/Quote
Pally. Good find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Duffner was underwhelming as a DC, but he does have experience. Not a bad hire all things considered.
Reply/Quote
Well I guess this hire will make all the Homers happy.  Ninja

[Image: 8293_Homer_Duff_Beer_ml.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Duffner was underwhelming as a DC, but he does have experience. Not a bad hire all things considered.

At least he'll know when things are not going well. hehe... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 12:42 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: At least he'll know when things are not going well. hehe... Ninja

Well...I'm hoping he brings Kwon Alexander with him!

I'd rather have Duffner than not have Duffner and I think it's atleast somewhat of an offset to hiring the DC we did. If I remember right, Duffner has some fire too. I just don't think he was that great tactically. He wasn't terrible though either.
Reply/Quote
Awesome Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 02:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...I'm hoping he brings Kwon Alexander with him!

I'd rather have Duffner than not have Duffner and I think it's atleast somewhat of an offset to hiring the DC we did. If I remember right, Duffner has some fire too. I just don't think he was that great tactically. He wasn't terrible though either.

Yes, hope Duff brings Kwon with him as you say!

BTW, reps to Shake on the Homer Duff beer pic lol
Reply/Quote
Kwon may not be what we need:

Kwon Alexander finished 2018 with an overall grade of 59.1, the second-lowest grade out of his four professional seasons. The fourth-year linebacker out of LSU played only six games due to tearing his ACL early in the year. His pass-rush grade of 78.8 ranked ninth out of 96 linebackers last season.

Pro Football Focus will be running through 50-plus pending/soon-to-be free agents between January 7, 2019 and March 8, 2019 to offer a detailed analysis of the top players bound for new contracts and (possibly) new teams in 2019. We want to house all of the important grades, advanced stats and key analysis for each player, so you know exactly what your team is getting in free agency.

To review all of our free agent profiles in one place, please visit this page.

Alexander’s overall grade of 59.1 ranked 66th among linebackers last season. Although he had below average grades in run defense (53.3) and coverage (57.1), he did excel as a pass-rusher. On only 32 pass-rush snaps in six games, Alexander recorded six pressures. His ability as a pass-rusher will be valuable to any takers this offseason.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2019-free-agency-profile-kwon-alexander
Reply/Quote
Not a bad hire at all.  Plus, if things don't work out with Capt. Lou, you have an experienced guy on staff to step in.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not a bad hire at all.  Plus, if things don't work out with Capt. Lou, you have an experienced guy on staff to step in.

That's an interesting thought.

If I remember correctly, fans didn't like Duffner as DC in the day here.
Reply/Quote
I thought that 90's era leading up to Marvin Lewis was everything we didn't want in the Bengals organization even more so than Lewis himself? I'm only speaking of the horror stories I hear from the older fans as Marvin Lewis was the coach when I became a fan.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:28 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I thought that 90's era leading up to Marvin Lewis was everything we didn't want in the Bengals organization even more so than Lewis himself? I'm only speaking of the horror stories I hear from the older fans as Marvin Lewis was the coach when I became a fan.

Well not every 90's coach was bad, and it's a good sign that almost 20 years later, Duffner has always maintained an NFL job coaching LB's somewhere.

Plus the guy was our LB coach when we drafted Takeo and Simmons. Hard to hate on that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Hopefully he can help with the LB's.

We had some decent coaches in the 90's. Lebeau was top-notch and as professional as they come.

Anderson the RB coach always produced good backs despite our offensive lines being pretty bad at times.

We always had a good #1 WR for the past 25 years or so. I can't remember a specific WR coach from the 90's, but I'm sure we had a decent one or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 02:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not a bad hire at all.  Plus, if things don't work out with Capt. Lou, you have an experienced guy on staff to step in.

Almost sounds like a bet hedging thing after the Austin debacle .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Kwon may not be what we need:

Kwon Alexander finished 2018 with an overall grade of 59.1, the second-lowest grade out of his four professional seasons. The fourth-year linebacker out of LSU played only six games due to tearing his ACL early in the year. His pass-rush grade of 78.8 ranked ninth out of 96 linebackers last season.

Pro Football Focus will be running through 50-plus pending/soon-to-be free agents between January 7, 2019 and March 8, 2019 to offer a detailed analysis of the top players bound for new contracts and (possibly) new teams in 2019. We want to house all of the important grades, advanced stats and key analysis for each player, so you know exactly what your team is getting in free agency.

To review all of our free agent profiles in one place, please visit this page.

Alexander’s overall grade of 59.1 ranked 66th among linebackers last season. Although he had below average grades in run defense (53.3) and coverage (57.1), he did excel as a pass-rusher. On only 32 pass-rush snaps in six games, Alexander recorded six pressures. His ability as a pass-rusher will be valuable to any takers this offseason.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2019-free-agency-profile-kwon-alexander

You're not looking at it from the eyes of Mike Brown....DISCOUNT!!!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 05:12 PM)pally Wrote: And we thought they were done

Former Bucs and Bengals (under LeBeau) DC Mark Duffner is being added to the staff as a Senior Defensive Assistant.  Lots of coaching experience including HC at the college level.  Lots and lots of experience as Linebacker coach.  He becomes the oldest coach on the staff

http://coachesinc.com/clients/football/professional/mark-duffner

DUFFNER AT A GLANCE
Year, Position

1972-74, William & Mary, Player
1975-76, Ohio State, Graduate Assistant
1977-1980, University of Cincinnati, Defensive Coordinator
1981-85, The College of the Holy Cross, Defensive Coordinator
1986-91, The College of the Holy Cross, Head Coach
1992-96, University of Maryland, Head Coach
1997-2000, Cincinnati Bengals, Linebackers Coach
2001-02, Cincinnati Bengals, Defensive Coordinator
2003-05, Green Bay Packers, Linebackers Coach
2006-13, Jacksonville Jaguars, Linebackers Coach
2014-15, Miami Dolphins, Linebackers Coach
2016-, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Linebackers Coach

That's 22 total coaches on this staff,the most we have ever had.Can't say this organization is cheap,they are dishing out the bucks.quit banging on this staff and this former team,its going to be all new,stay positive. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:11 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: That's 22 total coaches on this staff,the most we have ever had.Can't say this organization is cheap,they are dishing out the bucks.quit banging on this staff and this former team,its going to be all new,stay positive. ThumbsUp

Or simply spreading out the same dollars among more people.  I daresay, this coaching staff, individually, is being paid less than the person they replaced leaving more money in the pool for extra personnel.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote