Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ireland becomes first country to legalize gay marriage via pop vote
(06-23-2015, 11:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Pat,

By age

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/age-distribution/

Now look at the married vs others.  

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/marital-status/

This backs up my assertion that getting married is one of the main reasons people find religion.   This is due to a spouse typically.  

Also by age young people are alwags non religious as a whole but they mature in faith .... Whether it be getting their by spouse or other factors.    

I can't past the pics only the links atm.  

Your stance that young people are moving away from faith is flawed because traditionally young people have been less with their faith than older generations.    You would need to run this poll i. About 30 years and see whether your assertions are valid.    Until then it's all up in the air because it's hard to believe that Millennials will all of a sudden do what no other generation has done.

[Image: PF_15.05.05_RLS2_1_310px.png]

The unaffiliated are growing faster than any other group because Christians are switching as they get older at a greater rate than the unaffiliated are losing members raised in unaffiliated households.

Quote:Now where I get 50% is where we take 9.2 raised in Unaffiliated .... Then losing 4.3 ...    I stopped there to just look at the those who were raised unaffiliated.....  They are also losing people, which is consistent with raised religious .  Which could be just kids rebelling against what they were raised.

[Image: HI0hXMT.jpg]

Unaffiliated lost 4.3% while Christians lost 19.2%.  Unaffiliated gained 18% while Christians gained 4.2%.  Unaffiliated had a net gain of 13.6% while Christians had a net loss of 15%.  The damn title in big bold letters reads Unaffiliated Make Big Gains Through Religious Switching.  Do you know what big gains means?  Followed by Catholics and Mainline Protestants Suffer Large Losses.  Do you know what large losses mean?

You claimed, "I showed that non religious lost over half of their people who became religious as they got older."

4.3/9.2=.467

The unaffiliated lost 47%, not over half.  That's 5th grade math.  And I'm being generous.  It's amusing watching you call others low class, uneducated, unintelligent, lazy, and ill mannered because they use profanity, but basic math and reading and understanding a chart are above your ability level.
(06-24-2015, 12:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Getting married does not lead to religion.  Religious people are just more likely to get married

Non religious person marries a religious person. They become religious.
(06-24-2015, 02:05 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: PF_15.05.05_RLS2_1_310px.png]

The unaffiliated are growing faster than any other group because Christians are switching as they get older at a greater rate than the unaffiliated are losing members raised in unaffiliated households.

[Image: HI0hXMT.jpg]

Unaffiliated lost 4.3% while Christians lost 19.2%.  Unaffiliated gained 18% while Christians gained 4.2%.  Unaffiliated had a net gain of 13.6% while Christians had a net loss of 15%.  The damn title in big bold letters reads Unaffiliated Make Big Gains Through Religious Switching.  Do you know what big gains means?  Followed by Catholics and Mainline Protestants Suffer Large Losses.  Do you know what large losses mean?

You claimed, "I showed that non religious lost over half of their people who became religious as they got older."

4.3/9.2=.467

The unaffiliated lost 47%, not over half.  That's 5th grade math.  And I'm being generous.  It's amusing watching you call others low class, uneducated, unintelligent, lazy, and ill mannered because they use profanity, but basic math and reading and understanding a chart are above your ability level.

The 18% is going to be high since young people are more likely to be non religious. When I was young I was not religious.... this is common. If you don't know this then you must be in your 20's

If we take away the young people. Then we can discuss any older people leaving. But it's such a small amount. But I will say the amount of divorce plays into lack of faith. Families and religion are closely tied.
(06-24-2015, 02:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The 18% is going to be high since young people are more likely to be non religious.   When I was young I was not religious....   this is common.    If you don't know this then you must be in your 20's

[Image: PR_15.05.12_RLS_chapter4-00.png]

The percentages of Christians declined across every age bracket while unaffiliated increased across every age bracket.

Quote:If we take away the young people.   Then we can discuss any older people leaving.   But it's such a small amount.   But I will say the amount of divorce plays into lack of faith.   Families and religion are closely tied.

[Image: PR_15.05.12_RLS_chapter4-07.png]

The number of Christians declined among the married and the unmarried.

https://contemporaryfamilies.org/impact-of-conservative-protestantism-on-regional-divorce-rates/

Quote:Evangelicals and divorce. For a new study appearing later this month in the American Journal of Sociology, Demographers Jennifer Glass at the University of Texas and Philip Levchak at the University of Iowa looked at the entire map of the United States, going county by county, to examine where divorces occurred in 2000 and what the characteristics of those counties were. Their work confirms that one of the strongest factors predicting divorce rates (per 1000 married couples) is the concentration of conservative or evangelical Protestants in that county.

But by all means, feel free to keep making shit up.
(06-24-2015, 02:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Non religious person marries a religious person.   They become religious.

Or the exact opposite.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-24-2015, 09:30 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Or the exact opposite.

Overwhelming majority of the time it happens as I stated.
(06-24-2015, 09:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Overwhelming majority of the time it happens as I stated.

You also stated that a study with the headline "unaffiliated make big gains" and that said "people in older generations are increasingly disavowing association with organized religion" was showing us that unaffiliated are losing numbers and that you're more likely to go towards religion when you get older.

It's safe to say that you're just making everything up.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-24-2015, 09:59 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You also stated that a study with the headline "unaffiliated make big gains" and that said "people in older generations are increasingly disavowing association with organized religion" was showing us that unaffiliated are losing numbers and that you're more likely to go towards religion when you get older.

It's safe to say that you're just making everything up.

Lol

Well we will just see if religion goes anywhere I suppose. I wouldn't hold your breath
(06-24-2015, 10:37 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol  

Well we will just see if religion goes anywhere I suppose.   I wouldn't hold your breath

And no one is saying that it is going to disappear. It's just becoming less and less influential.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-24-2015, 02:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The 18% is going to be high since young people are more likely to be non religious.   When I was young I was not religious....   this is common.    If you don't know this then you must be in your 20's

I have observed the exact opposite among my friends.  Many were taken to church by their parents when they were kids, but when they went off to college and started getting more education they denounced religion.
(06-24-2015, 11:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: And no one is saying that it is going to disappear. It's just becoming less and less influential.

This.
(06-24-2015, 09:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Overwhelming majority of the time it happens as I stated.

If that were true then the numbers of Christians  marriages would be increasing rather than decreasing. Literally, every claim you have made has been proven false by your own source material because you can't comprehend what you're reading and you lack the ability to analyze data.   Even a broken clock is right twice a day which means it is more accurate than by accident.

People like you remind me why I could never be a teacher.
(06-24-2015, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have observed the exact opposite among my friends.  Many were taken to church by their parents when they were kids, but when they went off to college and started getting more education they denounced religion.

The data from the Pew survey bears that out. Each subsequent generation is less religious than the previous.  The Millenials are less religious than their parents. Their parents are less religious than their grandparents. Their grandparents are less religious than their great grandparents and etcetera.   When fewer families are religious there are fewer individuals to indoctrinate during childhood. Fewer religious individuals create fewer religious families who in turn indoctrinate fewer individuals. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.