Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Mock
(03-28-2020, 02:26 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Who's more energetic than Mixon on this team? You realize he's only 23 years old, right? If the Bengals didn't have other, more pressing needs to fill then maybe they select a Swift at 33, but they simply have to address other needs as long as what is available has pick 33 value. Drafting a guy at 33 to replace your #2 back is a luxury pick for this year. This team needs pick 33 to be a starter immediately. 

The franchise tag value for RBs is $12.4M this year, just to give you an idea of what it'll be going to cost to extend a Joe Mixon after this season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 01:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's been like 4 years since he played in college and he's not playing against joke Big 12 defenses anymore.  He doesn't put up receiving numbers because they put in Gio in obvious passing situations and the 2 minute drill because he's better at those aspects of the game than Joe.  He's not terrible as a receiver, but he's no McCafferty, Barkley, Kamara, etc.

So Gio plays in obvious passing situations because he's "better than Joe in those aspects" yet Joe has more receptions, more receiving yards, and more receiving TD's in each of the last two seasons? Makes sense lol. 
Mixon is a very good receiver. Think back to the Dolphins game a few yards ago when he actually ran a route instead of being a checkdown and adjusted to the ball to score a TD. Not many RB's make that play. 

The problem is the offensive line has been so bad that they haven't been able to utilize his ability in the pass game. Most of his catches have been screens or check downs. When they look to throw down field he has been kept in as a blocker. Hard to make much of an impact in the passing game that way. He has WELL above average pass catching ability for an NFL running back. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:26 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Who's more energetic than Mixon on this team? You realize he's only 23 years old, right? If the Bengals didn't have other, more pressing needs to fill then maybe they select a Swift at 33, but they simply have to address other needs as long as what is available has pick 33 value. Drafting a guy at 33 to replace your #2 back is a luxury pick for this year. This team needs pick 33 to be a starter immediately. 

Don't be shocked if that doesn't happen.  They're trying to build something for the long haul.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The franchise tag value for RBs is $12.4M this year, just to give you an idea of what it'll be going to cost to extend a Joe Mixon after this season.  

And if they decide not to extend him, they can draft a RB early next year. We know RB contracts are on the decline, especially second contacts for RB's, BUT Mixon entered the draft significantly younger than most players. If they can extend him on a reasonable 3-4 year deal, he would still only be 26 or 27 years old at the end of the contract. Reasonable is the key word there. The days of RB's getting huge money appear to be over. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:40 PM)McC Wrote: Don't be shocked if that doesn't happen.  They're trying to build something for the long haul.

I honestly think they think they can win now. That's why they just spent $126 million in free agency and tagged AJ Green. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:08 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I honestly think they think they can win now. That's why they just spent $126 million in free agency and tagged AJ Green. 

I'm not saying they aren't.  Just that what they want most of all is outstanding players.  The more excellent players you have, the better off you are.   I'm saying that need will take a back seat to quality.  Ideally, the two intersect.

How often does it happen that what doesn't look like a need right now can quickly become one?  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:26 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not saying they aren't.  Just that what they want most of all is outstanding players.  The more excellent players you have, the better off you are.   I'm saying that need will take a back seat to quality.  Ideally, the two intersect.

How often does it happen that what doesn't look like a need right now can quickly become one?  

Yep, as we currently sit, we're one knee injury away from being really strong at RB to instantly challenged at the position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 02:39 PM)Fullrock Wrote: So Gio plays in obvious passing situations because he's "better than Joe in those aspects" yet Joe has more receptions, more receiving yards, and more receiving TD's in each of the last two seasons? Makes sense lol. 
Mixon is a very good receiver. Think back to the Dolphins game a few yards ago when he actually ran a route instead of being a checkdown and adjusted to the ball to score a TD. Not many RB's make that play. 

The problem is the offensive line has been so bad that they haven't been able to utilize his ability in the pass game. Most of his catches have been screens or check downs. When they look to throw down field he has been kept in as a blocker. Hard to make much of an impact in the passing game that way. He has WELL above average pass catching ability for an NFL running back. 

(03-28-2020, 02:54 PM)Fullrock Wrote: And if they decide not to extend him, they can draft a RB early next year. We know RB contracts are on the decline, especially second contacts for RB's, BUT Mixon entered the draft significantly younger than most players. If they can extend him on a reasonable 3-4 year deal, he would still only be 26 or 27 years old at the end of the contract. Reasonable is the key word there. The days of RB's getting huge money appear to be over. 

Gio has 5 seasons where he had 300+ receiving yards.  Joe has none. He is not a matchup nightmare like a true duel threat RB.  

Joe is on record as saying RB's are underpaid.  What do you do if he has a prolonged holdout that runs into the regular season?  What do you do if he gets injured?  Are you going to be able to get as good of a RB next year?  Why pay a big extension for Joe when he can just split carries with Swift for a year and you can let him walk?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 05:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: Gio has 5 seasons where he had 300+ receiving yards.  Joe has none. He is not a matchup nightmare like a true duel threat RB.  

Joe is on record as saying RB's are underpaid.  What do you do if he has a prolonged holdout that runs into the regular season?  What do you do if he gets injured?  Are you going to be able to get as good of a RB next year?  Why pay a big extension for Joe when he can just split carries with Swift for a year and you can let him walk?

You are forgetting that they don't use Joe in the passing game?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 10:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are forgetting that they don't use Joe in the passing game?

So Joe is this great receiving threat and 3 different OC's have failed to recognize this, including "Mr. RB Screen" Bill Lazor?
Reply/Quote