Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another one bites the dust
http://www.chicagonow.com/politics-now/2017/07/44-years-a-republican-1-year-an-independent-today-im-joining-the-democratic-party/

Excerpts from the link above:

The Democratic Party may not agree, but they listen. The far left is rigid and dogmatic but the average Democrat may not agree with you but they will listen to what you have to say. I am pro business, and so is the Democratic Party. It is now the home of Free Trade. The GOP is now the home of trade protectionism.

This was not an easy step. In the 80s, I was an advocate of trickle- down economics as the solution to our economic ills. It is hard to admit I was wrong. The theory sounds nice, but as evidence has shown, it is a myth. Educated Republicans understand income distribution is out of whack and are seeking ways of correcting the ill. They are running up against the rank ignorance brought into the party and exploited by the party.

I believe this was an emotional decision for Mr. Schneider, and I welcome him and any other so enlightened converts to the Democratic Party.

Did you read his essay linked above?

Is he emblematic of a new wave coming over to the Dems?

What do you think?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
All fine and dandy, but it honestly frustrates me. What we are going to see with this is a further shift of both major parties to the right, especially on economic and social policy issues. I'm not talking about civil rights issues and individual liberties like we see conservatives present their frustration about most often. But the way the parties have shifted since the end of the New Deal style of Democrats has been to the right on economics and social programs. Folks like Mr. Schneider making this move are a result of this, because the GOP has shifted further to the right as well, but this just means it is going to make it harder for the Democratic party to get back to the way it was in the first half of the twentieth century.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-16-2017, 11:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: All fine and dandy, but it honestly frustrates me. What we are going to see with this is a further shift of both major parties to the right, especially on economic and social policy issues. I'm not talking about civil rights issues and individual liberties like we see conservatives present their frustration about most often. But the way the parties have shifted since the end of the New Deal style of Democrats has been to the right on economics and social programs. Folks like Mr. Schneider making this move are a result of this, because the GOP has shifted further to the right as well, but this just means it is going to make it harder for the Democratic party to get back to the way it was in the first half of the twentieth century.

I wish I did not agree 100%, but alas I do.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-16-2017, 11:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: All fine and dandy, but it honestly frustrates me. What we are going to see with this is a further shift of both major parties to the right, especially on economic and social policy issues. I'm not talking about civil rights issues and individual liberties like we see conservatives present their frustration about most often. But the way the parties have shifted since the end of the New Deal style of Democrats has been to the right on economics and social programs. Folks like Mr. Schneider making this move are a result of this, because the GOP has shifted further to the right as well, but this just means it is going to make it harder for the Democratic party to get back to the way it was in the first half of the twentieth century.

But at least some of those righties are shifting back left a little bit, towards the center so to speak.

Bernie's brush with success suggests that the Dems are also moving leftward, after their flirtation with neoliberalism, doesn't it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-16-2017, 03:10 PM)Dill Wrote: But at least some of those righties are shifting back left a little bit, towards the center so to speak.

Bernie's brush with success suggests that the Dems are also moving leftward, after their flirtation with neoliberalism, doesn't it?

As Sister Barbara used to say, "We live in hope."
Seriously? It sounds like a college kid who just finished his first civics class. 'Dad did you know Republicans hate poor people?"
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]