Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another opportunity missed by the Bengals.....
The most pressing need for this team is without a doubt the oline. I've been saying for months, call Jon Toth. Ranked the 5th best center in last years draft, graded the highest of any offensive player on the winning South team in the Senior Bowl, but went undrafted and signed to SF's practice squad, then released due to herniatated disk in his back. He had the surgery and has rehabbed, and was there for the taking for next to nothing. A 6'5", 300 lb center who can play all line positions.... ah heck, who needs him..... oh yeah, I guess the Eagles might..... I guess the know a deal when they see one....

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Eagles-sign-Jon-Toth-to-practice-squad-111497743

Now watch him excel......
Reply/Quote
I agree
Reply/Quote
Would have been a low risk high reward player. Who needs that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 06:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The most pressing need for this team is without a doubt the oline. I've been saying for months, call Jon Toth. Ranked the 5th best center in last years draft, graded the highest of any offensive player on the winning South team in the Senior Bowl, but went undrafted and signed to SF's practice squad, then released due to herniatated disk in his back. He had the surgery and has rehabbed, and was there for the taking for next to nothing. A 6'5", 300 lb center who can play all line positions.... ah heck, who needs him..... oh yeah, I guess the Eagles might..... I guess the know a deal when they see one....

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Eagles-sign-Jon-Toth-to-practice-squad-111497743

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or serious....
He was only signed to their practice squad so it’s not like other teams couldn’t sign him if they wanted to. Also he has already been cut from their practice squad on 12/27 before you even posted this, lasted less than 1 month. 
Reply/Quote
It's serious. He's a huge upgrade over Bodine and cold be had for the league minimum..... he can also back every other position on the line. But who needs that....
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 06:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The most pressing need for this team is without a doubt the oline. I've been saying for months, call Jon Toth. Ranked the 5th best center in last years draft, graded the highest of any offensive player on the winning South team in the Senior Bowl, but went undrafted and signed to SF's practice squad, then released due to herniatated disk in his back. He had the surgery and has rehabbed, and was there for the taking for next to nothing. A 6'5", 300 lb center who can play all line positions.... ah heck, who needs him..... oh yeah, I guess the Eagles might..... I guess the know a deal when they see one....

I agree with exploring all options, but don't make this out to be a HOF that the Bengals missed out on.  Herniated disks are not to be taken lightly and surgery is far from a cure.  It is a treatment, but a lot of these folks are never the same again.  Especially ones that put that much stress on their backs.  I wish him well, but I would rather see the Bengals draft Price next year.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 11:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with exploring all options, but don't make this out to be a HOF that the Bengals missed out on.  Herniated disks are not to be taken lightly and surgery is far from a cure.  It is a treatment, but a lot of these folks are never the same again.  Especially ones that put that much stress on their backs.  I wish him well, but I would rather see the Bengals draft Price next year.  

This ^ 

Just because the Bengals haven’t signed a guy (who is currently unemployed) does not mean they are stupid or missed out on something. They give us plenty of valid reasons to complain about them, we don’t need to fabricate any. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 11:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with exploring all options, but don't make this out to be a HOF that the Bengals missed out on.  Herniated disks are not to be taken lightly and surgery is far from a cure.  It is a treatment, but a lot of these folks are never the same again.  Especially ones that put that much stress on their backs.  I wish him well, but I would rather see the Bengals draft Price next year.  

I'm not saying he will be HOF. What I am saying is he was help that was available in positions that we are in dire need of, and in my opinion could be an upgrade over what we currently have. Obviously other teams were looking at him. Their needs may not be a bad as ours, yet we don't look, even though the price is low. That is my point..... 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 12:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying he will be HOF. What I am saying is he was help that was available in positions that we are in dire need of, and in my opinion could be an upgrade over what we currently have. Obviously other teams were looking at him. Their needs may not be a bad as ours, yet we don't look, even though the price is low. That is my point..... 

The price isn't low if you take in to account that you would have to create a roster spot for him.  Who leaves?  Redmond?  Westerman?  
Reply/Quote
How do you know we didn't look and decide not to just like 30 other teams?
Reply/Quote

As a guy that has been living with 2 herniated disks, for the past 16 years (one of them directly traceable to one, specific football play) I can attest that once suffering that sort of injury, a man is never quite the same.  

In my specific case, my doctor at the time strongly urged me to not have the surgery.  Reason being, at that time they were still doing the old fashioned, cut you open and fuse stuff together type of surgery.  He said men almost never recovered to their former selves from those.  However, he did speak about newer surgical techniques that were on the horizon, that would be much less invasive, and offer a much abbreviated recovery time.

My current MD says that the "new" laser surgeries have a very high success rate, and that most men are walking the same day, and back to work in less than 2 weeks.

(12-31-2017, 12:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying he will be HOF. What I am saying is he was help that was available in positions that we are in dire need of, and in my opinion could be an upgrade over what we currently have. Obviously other teams were looking at him. Their needs may not be a bad as ours, yet we don't look, even though the price is low. That is my point..... 

I've mentioned Toth in responses in various OL threads this year.  I agree, the Bengals should have made a move on him.  

Now, sure there is no guarantee that Toth will return to his full, former self.  But I feel like a team in the Bengals position should feel an obligation to leave no stone unturned, when it comes to attaining players to improve the quality of the team. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 12:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The price isn't low if you take in to account that you would have to create a roster spot for him.  Who leaves?  Redmond?  Westerman?  

Not if they put him on the practice squad first and let him work his way onto the roster.... 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 12:25 PM)Sweetness Wrote: How do you know we didn't look and decide not to just like 30 other teams?

I don't, but we haven't heard anything about them looking at him, and I think he is (or was) better than several that we have now. So it is supposition....
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not if they put him on the practice squad first and let him work his way onto the roster.... 

If they claimed the waiver he would have to go on the 53. We have no idea how many teams offered him a spot on the PS. 

Edit: Also since he signed with the Eagles who are a playoff team he has a chance at a ring.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:06 PM)Synric Wrote: If they claimed the waiver he would have to go on the 53. We have no idea how many teams offered him a spot on the PS. 

Edit: Also since he signed with the Eagles who are a playoff team he has a chance at a ring.

Yes, but I was talking about they should have picked him up off the couch prior to the Eagles.... I mean, the Eagles have three centers, we have basically none.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/12/1/16724244/philadelphia-eagles-sign-center-practice-squad-jon-toth-kentucky-harold-jones-quartey-safety-injury
Reply/Quote
Even if the eagles signed him to there practice squad we could still sign him to our 53 if we really wanted him so i don’t really see this as a missed opportunity
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 03:43 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Even if the eagles signed him to there practice squad we could still sign him to our 53 if we really wanted him so i don’t really see this as a missed opportunity

You guys are missing the point. The opportunity was when he was sitting at home. Once he signed with the Eagles PS, he would have to be on the 53 to claim him. There was a chance to bring him in with zero risk. That went away.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not if they put him on the practice squad first and let him work his way onto the roster.... 

Ok, so you think a guy with a herniated disc is going to work his way from the practice squad and jump in front of a 5th round pick (Westerman)?  He would basically have to be able to fly for this team to make such a move with their practice of never promoting to replace an absolute turd.  It just isn't a very realistic probability.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 05:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, so you think a guy with a herniated disc is going to work his way from the practice squad and jump in front of a 5th round pick (Westerman)?  He would basically have to be able to fly for this team to make such a move with their practice of never promoting to replace an absolute turd.  It just isn't a very realistic probability.  

At least we would have done something? We do absolutely nothing to improve. It's disheartening.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:06 PM)Synric Wrote: If they claimed the waiver he would have to go on the 53. We have no idea how many teams offered him a spot on the PS. 

(12-31-2017, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, but I was talking about they should have picked him up off the couch prior to the Eagles.... I mean, the Eagles have three centers, we have basically none.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/12/1/16724244/philadelphia-eagles-sign-center-practice-squad-jon-toth-kentucky-harold-jones-quartey-safety-injury

(12-31-2017, 03:43 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Even if the eagles signed him to there practice squad we could still sign him to our 53 if we really wanted him so i don’t really see this as a missed opportunity

(12-31-2017, 05:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are missing the point. The opportunity was when he was sitting at home. Once he signed with the Eagles PS, he would have to be on the 53 to claim him. There was a chance to bring him in with zero risk. That went away.

The eagles have already cut him from their PS so he is still sitting at home available on his couch just like he was before they signed him 4 weeks ago. The Bengals didn’t miss out on anything...
Reply/Quote