Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another safety with a new contract
Steeler Minkah Fitzpatrick has agreed to a 4-year extension worth $73.6 million or $18.4 per year with $36 million due at signing. We will have to see the actual breakdown for the real structure and yearly hit. This makes Fitzpatrick the highest-paid safety in the league.

Fitzpatrick was the Dolphins' #1 pick (11th)in 2018. Jessie Bates was a 2nd round pick (54th) of the Bengals in the same draft. Usually, you will see Fitzpatrick ranked higher than Bates. But, this is probably the best measure of what Bates is looking for salary-wise out of all the safety contracts we've seen recently. However, as we know, the hold-up with Bates seems to relate more to the guaranteed money and the upfront signing bonuses structure than the actual dollar amount The Bengals are very reluctant to pay really large upfront signing bonuses even if the total payout of a contract might end up being similar or in some cases larger than the sum total of the player's requested contract Players want guaranteed money. Bates has an agent who is willing and able to play hardball. So who wins...the rock or the hard place? Only time will tell.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Barf
Reply/Quote
Clearly Pittsburgh doesn't have a stud QB and generational WR to lock up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Bates as good as gone at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fitzpatrick is interesting. Racks up a ton of tackles and big plays.

But, rated below 60 on PFF! So he makes the big plays, but overall isn't that good or consistent. But, he'll make a nice tackle and get a pick 6 here and there.

I think he kind of freelances a lot looking for the big play. Not necessarily the best in a team defense concept.

On a losing team like that Dolphins...that wasn't appreciated. On a team that generally is good, that is more appreciated.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But, rated below 60 on PFF! So he makes the big plays, but overall isn't that good or consistent. 

Or maybe PFF is just complete bullshit at times.

Remember that they claimed 2018 Andy Dalton was better than 2015 Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bates as good as gone at this point.

I wonder if any team would pay Bates that much?

IF you could have Matthieu for under $10 million a year or Bates at $18 million a year, which would you pick?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Or maybe PFF is just complete bullshit at times.

Remember that they claimed 2018 Andy Dalton was better than 2015 Andy Dalton.

I can at least see where they're coming from with that though
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if any team would pay Bates that much?

IF you could have Matthieu for under $10 million a year or Bates at $18 million a year, which would you pick?

Jesse is an enigma.

2020 Bates could probably get $18 million a year.  The cap is going up and so are salaries for all positions.

2021 Bates doesn't deserve $18 million.  He was still pretty good and deserves a good contract, but nothing close to $18 million.

If he plays like 2020 then we get a bargain this year, but we look at losing him next season.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if any team would pay Bates that much?

is this really a question?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I can at least see where they're coming from with that though

I can't.  2018 Dalton looked a lot worse than 2015 Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't.  2018 Dalton looked a lot worse than 2015 Dalton.

the pieces around him were also worse

I suppose it's all about context
Reply/Quote

Fitzpatrick is very comparable to Bates.

2020 was Bates' best season, and he had 3 INTs, 15 PDs, 1 FF, and 109 tackles.
2020 was also when Fitzpatrick made the All-Pro team, where he had 4 INTs, 11 PDs, and 79 tackles.

Bates has more tackles and FFs than Fitzpatrick in their 4 seasons.
Fitzpatrick only has 1 more PD and 3 more INTs in the regular season than Bates.
Bates also has 2 postseason INTs and 6 PDs whereas Fitzpatrick has none. Bates also has 20 postseason tackles compared to Fitz's 12.

So I think if a team is willing to give someone like Fitzpatrick $18 mill a year, (at least) one will (or should) be willing to give Bates around the same.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: is this really a question?

Since the Bengals tagged Bates and didn't sign Matthieu it is.
Reply/Quote

A bad team will likely overpay for Bates... or a team with a QB on a rookie contract. 

Bengals did what they had to do... they prepared for him to be gone. So he either sticks around on a team friendly deal or enjoy being on another rebuild.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I think one thing that people don't talk enough about is that Jessie hasn't really been the same guy since his neck injury in 2021...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fitzpatrick is very comparable to Bates.

2020 was Bates' best season, and he had 3 INTs, 15 PDs, 1 FF, and 109 tackles.
2020 was also when Fitzpatrick made the All-Pro team, where he had 4 INTs, 11 PDs, and 79 tackles.

Bates has more tackles and FFs than Fitzpatrick in their 4 seasons.
Fitzpatrick only has 1 more PD and 3 more INTs in the regular season than Bates.
Bates also has 2 postseason INTs and 6 PDs whereas Fitzpatrick has none. Bates also has 20 postseason tackles compared to Fitz's 12.

So I think if a team is willing to give someone like Fitzpatrick $18 mill a year, (at least) one will (or should) be willing to give Bates around the same.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but Fitzpatrick seems to make more "splash" plays.

I don't think the necessarily means he is a better player, but I think he helps his reputation and contract value.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:52 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals did what they had to do... they prepared for him to be gone.

This is exactly how the franchise tag is supposed to work.  Keep the big star around for a year while you develop the guy you drafted to replace him.

Good teams lose good players.  They can't pay everyone.  We just aren't used to seeing much of that around here.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think one thing that people don't talk enough about is that Jessie hasn't really been the same guy since his neck injury in 2021...

He was our best player during the playoffs by far!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
People are underestimating Bates value to the team. All the leaders of the team from Reader and Hilton to Burrow have pleaded with FO to sign him.
Not to mention the dude was the best player on the team during the playoffs last season and we do not make it to the Superbowl without him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote