Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another school shooting...more children dead.
(03-30-2023, 09:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: I do really get a kick out of people who a) KNOW what *I* meant and b) can't admit they were wrong.

It was odd that the shooter was a female because over 99% of these shooters are male.  Then I proceeded to list all the other excuses made for these shootings and how they weren't valid in this case.  You used it to make a point(?) about how to identify her as a he or a she which didn't matter at all.

Just take the L.  It's okay to admit you were wrong.

Oh the irony of you saying this.  :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:08 AM)basballguy Wrote: What "fear mongering" do you think you are seeing on this board?  

(03-28-2023, 05:24 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Let's rephrase the topic.

This was a "Hate Crime" against Christians at a Catholic School by a Transgender He/She. 
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One of the other reasons this could be an issue goes down to motive. The likelihood that this was a hate crime against Christians is damn near zero. What has a high potential, though, given the mental health situation that seems to have some support to it, is that there may have been some sort of perceived trauma from this individual's time at the school related to their gender identity. Of course, any discussion of motive is purely speculative at this point and we should ensure that we keep that in mind. Not enough information has been made public regarding the motive in order for us to have a good understanding.

mental illness and hate crimes are not mutually exclusive
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:52 AM)basballguy Wrote: mental illness and hate crimes are not mutually exclusive

No, they aren't. But it still isn't a likelihood that these people were shot for being Christian. Were that the motive there would have been many other opportunities for the shooter to carry out such an attack. The selection of the target speaks to different motivations. Again, though, this is based on assumptions we have without the information the shooter left behind.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, they aren't. But it still isn't a likelihood that these people were shot for being Christian. Were that the motive there would have been many other opportunities for the shooter to carry out such an attack. The selection of the target speaks to different motivations. Again, though, this is based on assumptions we have without the information the shooter left behind.

I'm no expert, but I'd say the targeting of people who attended a school with which the shooter had a prior affiliation would muddy the hate crime waters, so to speak.  I wouldn't call this "christian on christian violence" either, though.  Both labels would help agendas, though.

I have some loathsome memories associated with my time in high school, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to lash out at the current occupants of the building, either.  But yea, if it weren't for the trans aspect we'd probably be filing this shooting under the same ol' nothing to see here as most of the others.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm no expert, but I'd say the targeting of people who attended a school with which the shooter had a prior affiliation would muddy the hate crime waters, so to speak.  I wouldn't call this "christian on christian violence" either, though.  Both labels would help agendas, though.

I have some loathsome memories associated with my time in high school, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to lash out at the current occupants of the building, either.  But yea, if it weren't for the trans aspect we'd probably be filing this shooting under the same ol' nothing to see here as most of the others.

Maybe the investigation will show that she had been abused when she attented the school ( it happens quite often in catholic schools ) and that was her motive, who knows ? 
In France, an investigation had shown that more than 330 000 kids has been abused by churches on the last 70 years ... It's 13 times a day )

Because as someone once said :  "If kids got raped by clowns as often as they get raped by priests it would be against the law to take your kids to the circus."

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, they aren't. But it still isn't a likelihood that these people were shot for being Christian. Were that the motive there would have been many other opportunities for the shooter to carry out such an attack. The selection of the target speaks to different motivations. Again, though, this is based on assumptions we have without the information the shooter left behind.

Why isn't it a liklihood?  What insider knowledge do you have that the rest of us don't? Because based on the evidence BengalYankee sees, it's a hate crime. Y'all have access to the same information. Why are you right and he wrong?

Note: I still fail to see where the fear mongering is. Saying something is a hate crime isn't fear mongering.

I personally think this shooter clearly had some sort of resentment towards the school. Was it because she was mad at christians? Was she mad at the school? I don't know.

What I can tell you is you probably know just as little as the rest of us and your opinion is not fact.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:09 AM)basballguy Wrote: Oh the irony of you saying this.  :)

You're "new" here so I'll let it pass.  One of things I will do is admit I'm wrong.  Sometimes it takes longer than other times for me to get it, but I'll gladly admit I  was mistaken and learned something.

Sadly it is something on these boards and in the real world that more people won't do.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
It's not progressive to murder 6, especially because of hatred and bigotry because of their religion, whether the murderer was a he, she or he/she.

Btw, I am not a Conservative. 

[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: Why isn't it a liklihood?  What insider knowledge do you have that the rest of us don't? Because based on the evidence BengalYankee sees, it's a hate crime. Y'all have access to the same information. Why are you right and he wrong?

Note: I still fail to see where the fear mongering is. Saying something is a hate crime isn't fear mongering.

I personally think this shooter clearly had some sort of resentment towards the school. Was it because she was mad at christians? Was she mad at the school? I don't know.

What I can tell you is you probably know just as little as the rest of us and your opinion is not fact.

Calling something a hate crime without evidence and it falling in line with a wider message in right-wing media is something that seems a lot like "deliberately arousing fear or public alarm." Maybe that's just me. But that is the sort of thing I expect from people getting the basic facts of the incident wrong.

As for my opinion, I never said it was anything other than that. I just base my opinion on the logic that if someone were to be intentionally targeting people for being Christians there would be many more likely ways for that to be done. The choice of a target with personal ties to the shooter's childhood speaks much more to a personal motive rather than one based on general prejudices. This is just basic psychology applied through critical thinking skills.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 01:05 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: It's not progressive to murder 6, especially because of hatred and bigotry because of their religion, whether the murderer was a he, she or he/she.

Btw, I am not a Conservative. 

Who is making this about political leanings? No one called you conservative as far as I can tell. No one said anything about the shooter's political leanings that I saw.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: I do really get a kick out of people who a) KNOW what *I* meant and b) can't admit they were wrong.

It was odd that the shooter was a female because over 99% of these shooters are male.  Then I proceeded to list all the other excuses made for these shootings and how they weren't valid in this case.  You used it to make a point(?) about how to identify her as a he or a she which didn't matter at all.

Just take the L.  It's okay to admit you were wrong.

Can't admit I was wrong? I literally said I was wrong. I'm beyond confused.

Also, me being wrong about what word you used doesn't negate the point I was making.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 01:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Who is making this about political leanings? No one called you conservative as far as I can tell. No one said anything about the shooter's political leanings that I saw.

These are the quotes you posted.

[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 02:20 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: These are the quotes you posted.

Those are quotes in my signature and have nothing to do with the thread itself. They are on all of my posts and come from speeches by Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt.

Reply/Quote
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does this go down in the records as a male mass shooting or a female mass shooting?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Sorry if this has already been asked, but does this go down in the records as a male mass shooting or a female mass shooting?

This may vary by source honestly. It depends on how the source wants to define things (gender vs. sex). Statista has this shooter listed as a female. Only the 4th mass shooting by a female since 1982. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This may vary by source honestly. It depends on how the source wants to define things (gender vs. sex). Statista has this shooter listed as a female. Only the 4th mass shooting by a female since 1982. 

That's pretty one sided, particularly in a society where women are believed to lack the mental stability to be president.  Lordy. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This may vary by source honestly. It depends on how the source wants to define things (gender vs. sex). Statista has this shooter listed as a female. Only the 4th mass shooting by a female since 1982. 

Doesn’t that point to transgenderism being a mental disorder?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doesn’t that point to transgenderism being a mental disorder?

Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder, yes. Not all trans people experience gender dysphoria, though. For some, it is simply an expression and makes them just feel more comfortable. For others, the gender mismatch causes genuine distress and anxiety, which is where gender dysphoria begins. 

Transgenderism, by itself, is not a mental disorder but there are transgender individuals who experience gender-related mental disorders. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doesn’t that point to transgenderism being a mental disorder?

Statistically, being born a male is more of a mental disorder if we are talking about violent crime. 
Reply/Quote