Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another school shooting...more children dead.

T’s and P’s
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 05:06 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote:
T’s and P’s

I'd say our white male privilege is showing pretty hard here.  We are responsible for most sex offenses and 99.9 (edit....well, take the white part out for this one I guess but it's still totally our thing) or so percent of mass shootings and we get to sit back and watch people go after drag queens and trans people.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 04:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doesn’t that point to transgenderism being a mental disorder?

To the same degree that white male shooters establish white maleness as a mental disorder, yes. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, they aren't. But it still isn't a likelihood that these people were shot for being Christian. Were that the motive there would have been many other opportunities for the shooter to carry out such an attack. The selection of the target speaks to different motivations. Again, though, this is based on assumptions we have without the information the shooter left behind.

You obviously do not follow Tucker Carlson.

As Tucker explains, a "deranged and demonic ideology" is the real cause of the tragedy, which Biden and the rest of liberals "lie" about. 

Trans people claim they have been discriminated against, beaten, and killed, while all along THEY have been the real threat to society.

They are angry and deranged because they want to play "GOD" by changing their natural god given identities. But Christians know that identity and sex are decided by God. And this is why Trans ideology is incompatible with Christianity, and why Trans people must therefore war on Christianity. 

Why else would the police withhold the shooter's manifesto, if not to prevent us from learning that the shooter was targeting Christians?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8Ab-xYig0

You'd probably counter-argue that the shooter had maps of other schools and we should wait to  more before jumping to conclusions etc. 
For that and other reasons I have say you'd make a pretty lousy Fox host. You just lack that skill set and probably nothing you can do to fix that now.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 06:02 PM)Dill Wrote: To the same degree that white male shooters establish white maleness as a mental disorder, yes. 

I try to be socially liberal but I'll admit when I heard trans shooter my initial feeling was it was exceedingly unlikely it was a F to M situation. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 06:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I try to be socially liberal but I'll admit when I heard trans shooter my initial feeling was it was exceedingly unlikely it was a F to M situation. 

Same, actually. Was very much expecting AMAB.

I was going to say that it was statistics because there were more MtF than FtM, but a study published in 2020 has countered that conventional wisdom: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7906237/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Come get your lunatics.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 11:25 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote:
Come get your lunatics.

Tennessee is a red state, that's not part of our divorce settlement. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 06:02 PM)Dill Wrote: To the same degree that white male shooters establish white maleness as a mental disorder, yes. 

We should compare body counts of the transgender community versus white males throughout history.

I'm betting one is significantly higher than the other.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:42 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: We should compare body counts of the transgender community versus white males throughout history.

I'm betting one is significantly higher than the other.

Someone is going to start a rumor that Harry S Truman was trans, now. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Someone is going to start a rumor that Harry S Truman was trans, now. 

Truman is a helluva good last name for it.
Reply/Quote
Remember:  We should defend the second amendment at all costs!  Unless the people we hate have them and committed a crime once, I guess?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 07:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Remember:  We should defend the second amendment at all costs!  Unless the people we hate have them and committed a crime once, I guess?

Saying the quiet part out loud again.

It's Ronald Reagan all over again!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 10:49 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Saying the quiet part out loud again.

It's Ronald Reagan all over again!

If gun-grabbing to make people safe is the goal, only women should be legally allowed to own firearms.  They have equal access to them, and yet the vast majority of gun-related crime comes from men.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 11:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If gun-grabbing to make people safe is the goal, only women should be legally allowed to own firearms.  They have equal access to them, and yet the vast majority of gun-related crime comes from men.

Oh the meltdowns across the ranks of the gravy seals would be HILARIOUS to watch.

Also I don't hate the idea.
Reply/Quote
So anyway...

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't have kids, but I know if you do too much for them people say you are a bad parent, and if you don't do enough for them people say you are a bad parent.  I'm from a rural area, so for years people my age would complain that parents these days are way too involved in their kids lives, because when they were kids they were allowed to go off on their own and actually experience things.  I feel like the whole "parents need to be involved" thing coming from these same folks is in response to the recent political assertions that grooming and indoctrination is everywhere.

I had a bit of a "both sides" feeling when I spent a few hours at a lake with my buddy and his young kids and his wife and she had the kids in UV blocking shirts, and hats, and we had 3 adults watching 2 kids in 1 foot of water.  I thought...geez, this seems pretty extreme.  And then I looked over and saw a bunch of kids around the same age with no parents terribly close with no protection practically trying to see which one could drown the others first.  I guess the universe balances out.

Anywho, how many Americans need to use a gun to shoot someone else or themselves before we stop acting like an American would have to be ultra nuts to do such a thing?  These shootings happen so often that we don't even mention them unless there is some aspect that makes it stand out from the mundane shootings, and yet we still want to just look at it and say "Crazy...flat out crazy."

Americans shooting stuff just doesn't seem crazy to me, anymore.  

I used to think that "better parenting" was a good argument for when these types of things happen, but id say within the last two years I've kinda ditched this. Not that the argument has no validity but I feel like most people use it as a knee jerk reaction, but I've come to realize the argument is flawed for several reasons.

1. It assumes the parents weren't "good" parents.

2. It assumes that the individual is mentally stable.

3. It assumes the individual is receptive to "good parenting" even if the individual is mentally healthy.

4. Lastly, it assumes "good parenting" would have actually prevented the event from happening.

1. To the first point, I don't think it's fair for us who are outside looking in to be declaring that people are "bad parents" or that they could have been "better parents" when we know almost nothing about these people's lives. I mean heck, 99% of the time we don't even know who their parents are, yet we like to stand on our soap box and preach that if their parents were better, then this wouldn't have happened. Why do we believe this? We weren't there when these people were being raised, yet somehow we convince ourselves that we "know" what kind of parents these people have/had. 

2. To the second point, we don't know the mental health of these individuals. Nevermind the fact that the majority of us aren't even trained psychologists anyway, "better parenting" doesn't guarantee that a mentally unstable individual won't kill someone.

3. To the third point, just as with the second point, "good parenting" doesn't guarantee that a mentally healthy individual won't kill people either. You kind of relate to this point at the end of your post, which I agree with. Just as you said, people don't need to be complete nut jobs to commit murder. I also don't believe that "bad parenting" is a prerequisite for mass murder. Parents teach their kids all the time not to do bad things like drugs for example, yet you will find innocent Sally under a bridge cracked out from the very thing her parents taught her not to do.

4. Which brings me to the last point that "good parenting" doesn't equate to "peaceful harmony". This is a fantasy land way of thinking. And that's not a shot at people who use the "better parenting" argument, because again, this used to be a huge belief of mine. I just think the argument is a bit unrealistic. We don't really know these people's lives and blanket statements like "better parenting" ignores the nuances of it all. 

And to be completely honest, I think the same could be said about the "more mental health access" argument.  Not that I don't think that's a good thing, but both arguments are similar in the fact that they make a lot of the same assumptions about the individuals life and what becomes of it based on what they had access too.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I used to think that "better parenting" was a good argument for when these types of things happen, but id say within the last two years I've kinda ditched this. Not that the argument has no validity but I feel like most people use it as a knee jerk reaction, but I've come to realize the argument is flawed for several reasons.

1. It assumes the parents weren't "good" parents.

2. It assumes that the individual is mentally stable.

3. It assumes the individual is receptive to "good parenting" even if the individual is mentally healthy.

4. Lastly, it assumes "good parenting" would have actually prevented the event from happening.

1. To the first point, I don't think it's fair for us who are outside looking in to be declaring that people are "bad parents" or that they could have been "better parents" when we know almost nothing about these people's lives. I mean heck, 99% of the time we don't even know who their parents are, yet we like to stand on our soap box and preach that if their parents were better, then this wouldn't have happened. Why do we believe this? We weren't there when these people were being raised, yet somehow we convince ourselves that we "know" what kind of parents these people have/had. 

2. To the second point, we don't know the mental health of these individuals. Nevermind the fact that the majority of us aren't even trained psychologists anyway, "better parenting" doesn't guarantee that a mentally unstable individual won't kill someone.

3. To the third point, just as with the second point, "good parenting" doesn't guarantee that a mentally healthy individual won't kill people either. You kind of relate to this point at the end of your post, which I agree with. Just as you said, people don't need to be complete nut jobs to commit murder. I also don't believe that "bad parenting" is a prerequisite for mass murder. Parents teach their kids all the time not to do bad things like drugs for example, yet you will find innocent Sally under a bridge cracked out from the very thing her parents taught her not to do.

4. Which brings me to the last point that "good parenting" doesn't equate to "peaceful harmony". This is a fantasy land way of thinking. And that's not a shot at people who use the "better parenting" argument, because again, this used to be a huge belief of mine. I just think the argument is a bit unrealistic. We don't really know these people's lives and blanket statements like "better parenting" ignores the nuances of it all. 

And to be completely honest, I think the same could be said about the "more mental health access" argument.  Not that I don't think that's a good thing, but both arguments are similar in the fact that they make a lot of the same assumptions about the individuals life and what becomes of it based on what they had access too.

Have to agree here.  

I've seen kids from all sorts of backgrounds have all sorts of outcomes interchangeably with parenting situations.  Some kids that grow up rough with what you consider irresponsible parents actually become successful out of a desire not to re-live their childhood.  Some kids who grow up with great parents and tons of resources fall apart when the go out into the real world for the first time. I knew several kids receiving mental health treatment that continued to act out, many even showing worsening behavior.

If you know or have kids, you know that prodding from an authority figure isn't exactly likely to lead to a better outcome.  Sometimes the kids themselves have to be aware of a need for change on an internal level, not just because people constantly tell them.  If a kid doesn't realize or believe that behavior should change, it likely won't until a consequence takes it's toll.   It's pure assumption to believe that all kids receiving mental health treatment are actually going through the process because they desire change.  Some are just plain forced by parents or at the recommendation of school figures, etc.

If someone is truly mentally ill, they don't always have the faculties to realize that there's something wrong with their thought process.  It's all they know, and self awareness isn't always at a high level.  
Reply/Quote
I searched and cannot find if we discussed this shooting (there are so many) but I wanted to update everyone that Virginia believes the risk of getting shot by a 6 year old is just "part of the job".

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 12:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: I searched and cannot find if we discussed this shooting (there are so many) but I wanted to update everyone that Virginia believes the risk of getting shot by a 6 year old is just "part of the job".

How callous has society gotten that getting shot by a 6 year old is considered a normal hazard of the job?

Can you imagine the outrage, if she had been armed and shot that child before he shot her?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote