Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another statue downed by a mob
It was a statue of Columbus in Baltimore near their little Italy area apparently.

I don't have a problem if statues come down. Most that have come down should have, mainly the Confederate ones in public areas imo.

But I am 100% against these statues coming down by a protesting mob. Let them come down by a vote of a city council, or by legal means, but there needs to be some serious push back against these mobs that are getting away this.

Unfortunately that pushback probably wont come from Democrats in these cities or elsewhere, nor will they try to stop it because, well, nevermind this part. But give that kind of mob mentality an inch, they will just keep wanting more & more.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/05/887423624/baltimore-protesters-topple-columbus-statue
This lawlessness cannot be allowed to continue. I posted this in another thread:
https://www.newsweek.com/armed-black-demonstrators-challenge-white-supremacist-militia-georgias-stone-mountain-park-1515494
Quote:About 1,000 heavily armed militia, all of whom were Black, marched through Georgia's Stone Mountain Park on Saturday, challenging white nationalist groups in the area to either come out and fight or join them in demonstrating against the government.

Folks are going to get hurt.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

We are called Mobtown. As an Italian American and history teacher who lives in Baltimore (County), I am supportive of this statue being removed. We need a better folk hero.

[Image: R8dkXL4.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-05-2020, 06:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It was a statue of Columbus in Baltimore near their little Italy area apparently.

I don't have a problem if statues come down. Most that have come down should have, mainly the Confederate ones in public areas imo.

But I am 100% against these statues coming down by a protesting mob. Let them come down by a vote of a city council, or by legal means, but there needs to be some serious push back against these mobs that are getting away this.

Unfortunately that pushback probably wont come from Democrats in these cities or elsewhere, nor will they try to stop it because, well, nevermind this part. But give that kind of mob mentality an inch, they will just keep wanting more & more.

I agree.

On the other hand, I live in a county where a commissioner recently dedicated a new Confederate flag raising as a "Confederate Civil War veterans memorial" on our court square. It came down after weeks of protest, but there's still that mindset in some areas. As other places are taking things down the right way, you've got places looking to put up more.
I don't have a lot of knowledge about law, but there is one concept in law that I find interesting and that is the difference between Malum In Se and Malum Prohibitum crimes.

Malum In Se, literally "Evil in itself," are crimes that are, by their very nature, evil or bad. Like murder or rape.

Malum Prohibitum, literally "wrong as prohibited," are crimes that are considered illegal because of the laws that are in place. Underage drinking or hunting without the correct permit are examples of Malum Prohibitum crimes (though there are more severe Malum Prohibitum crimes as well, such as resisting arrest or prostitution).

When it comes to taking down statues that likely should be taken down if you consider them ethically or morally compromised persons of history, I find myself asking whether the illegality of it is Malum In Se or Malum Prohibitum.

On the one hand, tearing down property that does not belong to you very likely would be considered Malum In Se...but on the other, removing a monument to one of the worst people in American history is...I dunno. It's pretty ethical and moral if you ask me. So even though it is illegal, I don't think you can call the act of removing the statue evil in itself.

I guess I fall into the camp of "I would prefer they go through the proper channels to get it removed, but I'm not upset that it has been taken down, regardless of how that result occurred."

After all, I understand that our governing bodies are notoriously slow to actually do what's right until it's trendy or absolutely required (or, more accurately, absolutely required years ago).
(07-05-2020, 08:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I am supportive of this statue being removed. We need a better folk hero.

(07-05-2020, 09:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote:  I'm not upset that it has been taken down, regardless of how that result occurred."

After all, I understand that our governing bodies are notoriously slow to actually do what's right until it's trendy or absolutely required (or, more accurately, absolutely required years ago).

This is troubling. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]