Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another terrorist attack in France
(07-15-2016, 12:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is no feasible solution.
Thunder DOME!!!!!!!!
(07-15-2016, 12:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Eliminate religion and jealousy from the human being.

Yet... France is the most secular-oriented country in Europe. They have they have the strictest laws to keep religion out of politics and public life. 

To a certain degree, that is part of the problem for the French and part of the reason they have been targeted by Muslims. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-15-2016, 02:39 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yet... France is the most secular-oriented country in Europe. They have they have the strictest laws to keep religion out of politics and public life. 

To a certain degree, that is part of the problem for the French and part of the reason they have been targeted by Muslims. 

I'm saying no religion at all.  Not that it could ever happen.  The state doesn't have to sanction it for people to have it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-15-2016, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: Japan doesn't really exclude Muslims.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/17/viral-image/viral-graphic-says-japan-keeps-out-radical-islam-t/
http://www.snopes.com/muslims-in-japan/
www. allthatmemestuffismadeup. com

For a variety of reasons (language, cost of living, immigration laws, job opportunities, cuisine, not having many like-minded people) not many Muslims end up in Japan. Muslims make up less than .1% of Japanese population. Historically they haven't had many.

Who said they exclude them?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-15-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't forget ending all aid to Israel.

You must be in favor of that also, right?

Sure, if we think it will reduce Terrorism. Why wouldn't I be.

(07-15-2016, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They have identified the Terrorist:

More:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/07/15/france-nice-attack/87115358/

Quote:French prosecutor Francois Molins said Friday that the driver of a truck that plowed into a crowd of seaside spectators in Nice, killing 84 people, was a Tunisia-born Frenchman who had a petty criminal record but was not known to any intelligence services, local or national, as having links to radicalism.

Molins, the anti-terrorism prosecutor, identified the suspect, who was shot and killed by police during the attack, as Mohamed Bouhlel, 31, a local delivery man. He said Bouhlel's house had been searched and that his wife was detained for questioning.

Speaking to reporters hours after an update by French President Francois Hollande, Molins said 202 people were injured in the melee at the Bastille Day celebration Thursday evening, and that 52 remained in critical condition, half of them still in a coma and 25 on life-support. He said 10 children were among the dead, which included two Americans.

Molins said Bouhlel, driving a large, white refrigerated truck, mowed down scores of people along a one-mile stretch of the Promenade des Anglais during an annual fireworks display. He said police eventually shot and killed him in the truck's cab as he continued to run down people along the walkway.

[Image: 636041801371849197-AP-France-Truck-Attack.jpg]
Parents of victims embrace each other near the scene of a truck attack in Nice, southern France, Friday, July 15, 2016. (Photo: Luca Bruno, AP)

Molins said police recovered a cellphone, identification papers, and a bank card in the cab of the truck along with a handgun, ammunition and a gas grenade, along with replicas of other weapons.

He said Bouhlel was identified through his fingerprints and was known to local courts and police. He had been convicted on charges of theft and making violent threats between 2010 and 2016, and received a six-month suspended sentence in March on a weapons charge.

Molins said suspect, who was born in Tunisia, was "entirely unknown" by French intelligence services at the local and and national level, and that there had "never been any indication of radicalism" associated with him.

The prosecutor said surveillance video showed that the truck had been parked on a Nice street on Wednesday and that Bouhlel, arriving on a bicycle, picked it up on Thursday, putting the bike in the back.

He said officials were investigating how Bouhlel obtained the truck and whether he had any accomplices in the attack.

[Image: 636041629177321393-AFP-554025351.jpg]
This picture taken on July 15, 2016, with a mobile phone, shows forensics officers and policemen looking for evidence near a truck on the Promenade des Anglais seafront in the French Riviera town of Nice, after it drove into a crowd watching a fireworks display. (Photo: Valery Hache, AFP/Getty Images)

It was the worst terrorist attack in France since 130 people were killed in Paris in November and is likely the deadliest rampage ever by a lone attacker.

Hollande, who flew to Nice on Friday, said earlier that the attack was carried out "to satisfy the cruelty of an individual, maybe a group" and called on the French people to maintain their "unity and cohesion" in the face of the tragedy.

"We are dealing with a struggle that will take a long time, because we have an enemy who will continue to strike all peoples, all countries that have freedom as a fundamental value," he said.

Hollande, who described the attack as "despicable," extended the nation's state of emergency, due to expire this month, for another three months, and will supplement the 7,000 troops securing critical sites around France with a call up of reserves tasked with tightening border security.

"We can overcome this evil because we are France, as one," he added..

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls announced three days of national mourning, starting Saturday.

"We will not give in to terrorist threats," he said. "We are in a new era. France has been struck once again in her flesh. They wanted to harm the very idea of national unity."
(07-15-2016, 01:55 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Meh....There's a lot of terrorism tied to the drug trade in Central America and Mexico also. I prefer liberties over securities.  I guess my question was more rhetorical and asked in frustration.

I'll take securities, but taking liberties sounds better until the Devil's at the door.

(07-15-2016, 02:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm saying no religion at all.  Not that it could ever happen.  The state doesn't have to sanction it for people to have it.

I understand. 

I'm just saying that the path to secularizing public life and politics in a society (one that I generally support because it is good for the society AND the religions) is filled with danger from blowback from the extremists. Extremism in anything is a danger.
(07-15-2016, 02:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I understand. 

I'm just saying that the path to secularizing public life and politics in a society (one that I generally support because it is good for the society AND the religions) is filled with danger from blowback from the extremists. Extremism in anything is a danger.

Agree 100%.
(07-15-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't forget ending all aid to Israel.

You must be in favor of that also, right?

I'm not sure that the Israel issues play so much of a part in the conflict between the West and radical Islam anymore. During the past four or five decades, they surely did and are part of the reason we got to this place. But we have a new history of relations since 9/11 that supersedes that old history: the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, the Arab Spring, etc. I believe we could cut off aid to Israel today, and the war radical Islam seeks to wage against the West would continue unabated. 

The fact is that most Muslims in the world really aren't that concerned about the plight of the Palestinians. Some Muslim nations have even used them as pawns in their own power struggles.  
(07-15-2016, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll take securities, but taking liberties sounds better until the Devil's at the door.

I think the devil is already at the door, knocking like Sheldon Cooper on Penny's door.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(07-15-2016, 07:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I really didn't "want to", but happened across a link and...... the whole train wreck scenario and all.

Speaking of train...there's a vid on liveleak where a woman is standing at a train station and as soon as the train is pulling up, she runs over and lays across the tracks.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-15-2016, 01:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Over the course of human history all religions lead to bad sooner or later.

Some are worse than others.  But all bad.

Do you always try to put bandaides on severed limbs?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-15-2016, 10:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: He went to a place where the police presence would be at a higher density than normal and made them an easier target than in other places. That's a tactic for just about every mass shooting I know of. You could argue that his tactics were modified because of the presence of firearms, but it was not a deterrent and he was still effective.

The use of the SC incident in comparison to the Pulse shooting does not provide enough evidence to show the Pulse incident could have been prevented, or even had a smaller body count, with someone carrying. Too many variables to draw that direct comparison.

I absolutely will. Mostly because I respect the law and I respect the rights of private property owners. But also because I don't live in a constant state of irrational fear.

I don't live in a state of irrational fear either.  Being armed and avoiding places that prevent me from being armed is not irrational fear as much as it is prudence.

Since you are so brave, just walk down the streets of Chicago waving money around.  Do you think yourself brave or foolish if you did that?
(07-15-2016, 01:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Over the course of human history all religions lead to bad sooner or later.

Some are worse than others.  But all bad.

Over the course of history everything humans have done has led to bad sooner or later.

Some things humans do are worse than others but all bad.

We can't single out religion... For the 1% religious freaks there are 99% that choose to believe and that is what gets them through their day to day.

The radical religions... Different story.
(07-15-2016, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who said they exclude them?

Your link.

Quote:Japan is practically closed to Muslims.

Quote:As a result, Japan is “a country without Muslims”.

Quote:And the most  interesting thing in the Japanese approach to Muslims is the fact that the Japanese do not feel any guilt for such a “discriminatory” approach to Islam...

As far as who said that, I have no idea. Poorly written article where the author "randomly" uses quote marks "throughout" the story without attribution. Unless it's not "random" and instead used to seem like he's quoting "sources."
(07-15-2016, 04:09 PM)Benton Wrote: Your link.

As far as who said that, I have no idea. Poorly written article where the author "randomly" uses quote marks "throughout" the story without attribution. Unless it's not "random" and instead used to seem like he's quoting "sources."

Quote:Officially, immigration to Japan is not closed to Muslims.

You might be reaching here and speaking in absolutes to try to disprove a point. Would we agree that Muslim immigration is limited in Japan and those that do come must accept a high degree of assimilation?

(07-15-2016, 01:55 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Meh....There's a lot of terrorism tied to the drug trade in Central America and Mexico also. I prefer liberties over securities.  I guess my question was more rhetorical and asked in frustration.

You could always try putting the French Flag over your Facebook avatar; that might work.

(07-15-2016, 03:45 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Over the course of history everything humans have done has led to bad sooner or later.  

Some things humans do are worse than others but all bad.

We can't single out religion... For the 1% religious freaks there are 99% that choose to believe and that is what gets them through their day to day.  

The radical religions... Different story.

More bad than good in every religion when you consider why they were started in the first place (the real reason they were started)
(07-15-2016, 04:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You could always try putting the French Flag over your Facebook avatar; that might work.

I'm not on Facebook.