Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another win for the little guy!
(06-28-2018, 03:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'll take that as a 'yes'. 

Good.

What is your answer?
(06-28-2018, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good.

What is your answer?

Isn't it obvious?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-28-2018, 01:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Question: if a lobbyist improves a group of peoples lives in some way, should all those people be forced to pay the lobbyist?

Well, typically, lobbyists are paid by the groups/businesses they are benefiting. It would be difficult to operate a non-profit bribery operation.

But I get what you're trying to say. And, in my experience with industrial plants, even the non-union employees at unionized plants make more than strictly open hire places. Like security guards. At our local chemical plants (that were all union) you could start out around $20 as a security guard. At the two non-union plants, security guards started out around $12. Office staff, similarly, made 30-50% more at union plants.

Labor unions tend to bump up the wage scale for everyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-28-2018, 04:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Isn't it obvious?

So why do you support a system that rewards freeloaders?
(06-28-2018, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why do you support a system that rewards freeloaders?

Because I believe in FREEdom.  ThumbsUp
(06-28-2018, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So why do you support a system that rewards freeloaders?

Have you ever represented a client pro bono?  You know, someone that deserved fair representation but did not qualify for a public defender, yet was financially challenged as to not be able to afford legal fees?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you ever represented a client pro bono?  You know, someone that deserved fair representation but did not qualify for a public defender, yet was financially challenged as to not be able to afford legal fees?

Yes.  But non-union workers make the same as union workers.  I don't ask my paying clients to pay me more to cover the cost of my pro bono work.
(06-28-2018, 05:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because I believe in FREEdom.  ThumbsUp

[Image: freedom_isnt_free_quote_mousepad.jpg?hei...=460&qv=90]
(06-28-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: freedom_isnt_free_quote_mousepad.jpg?hei...=460&qv=90]

It is for SOME people.  ThumbsUp
(06-28-2018, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you ever represented a client pro bono?  You know, someone that deserved fair representation but did not qualify for a public defender, yet was financially challenged as to not be able to afford legal fees?

(06-28-2018, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes. 

Great, so you are part of a system that supports freeloaders.   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 05:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, so you are part of a system that supports freeloaders.   Cool

I help the disadvantaged.  I don't do pro bono work for people who have the money to pay.

Non-union workers are not disadvantaged.

You want to do away with the welfare system, too?  Smirk
(06-28-2018, 05:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You want to do away with the welfare system, too?  Smirk

I have no problem with helping people who are disadvantaged.

Non-union workers are not disadvantaged.  They get all the benefits of union members without paying anything.
(06-28-2018, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem with helping people who are disadvantaged.

Non-union workers are not disadvantaged.  They get all the benefits of union members without paying anything.

But aren't the unions' goals to help the "disadvantaged" workers? Why are only the disadvantaged union workers able to receive benefits but not the disadvantaged non-union workers?
(06-28-2018, 05:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, so you are part of a system that supports freeloaders.   Cool

Do they have welfare queens in any of those evil countries we are trying to turn into a democracy like us?
(06-28-2018, 06:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do they have welfare queens in any of those evil countries we are trying to turn into a democracy like us?

I don't know.  Do totalitarians believe in welfare?

Oh, and we're a representative republic.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know.  Do totalitarians believe in welfare?

Oh, and we're a representative republic.

Well according to Dubya we were bringing democracy to the middle east .whoops .
(06-28-2018, 06:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well according to Dubya we were bringing democracy to the middle east .whoops .

Either way, as long as we can get them to join unions, or not.  Just can't make 'em pay dues if they don't want to.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 06:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Either way, as long as we can get them to join unions, or not.  Just can't make 'em pay dues if they don't want to.

Ringo Starr once said that gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues. 
(06-28-2018, 06:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: But aren't the unions' goals to help the "disadvantaged" workers? Why are only the disadvantaged union workers able to receive benefits but not the disadvantaged non-union workers?

The unions want to help ALL workers, but in order to do that they need ALL workers to join and support the union.  The only way the union has any power is in numbers.  Every non-union worker gives more power to management and takes power away from labor.