Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anquan Boldin
We've watched Steve Smith still be relevant late in his career and Boldin has always been a possession receiver with a skill set that you'd imagine wouldn't decline as quickly. He'd be the most reliable 3rd down target we've had in Cincy since Houshmanzadeh.

Here are his stats for this season...

14 GP, 69 REC, 110 TGTS, 789 YRDS, 11.4 AVG and 4 TDs

Keep in mind Kapernick wasn't too impressive this season and Gabbert was the other guy at the helm.
Reply/Quote
I'd take Boldin over Sanu, but I'd like to also add a true speedster who can also play the slot in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of getting someone like Boldin.

We need more /bigphysical WR's. He would fit nice with AJ Green & company.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:15 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I'd take Boldin over Sanu, but I'd like to also add a true speedster who can also play the slot in the draft.

We have one. Drafted in the 7th round last year: Mario Alford...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Are you saying the Bengals should trade for Boldin? He's still under contract for three more years, all of which are cap friendly.
http://overthecap.com/player/anquan-boldin/1360

What would you trade for Boldin?

If he didn't cost more than a 4th, I'd be for a trade. The team would have to be a pure win-now mode though, as Boldin is already 35 years old and might not even play through the rest of his current contract.

Boldin on the same field as Green and Eifert would be sick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you saying the Bengals should trade for Boldin? He's still under contract for three more years, all of which are cap friendly.

If he didn't cost more than a 4th, I'd be for a trade. The team would have to be a pure win-now mode though, as Boldin is already 35 years old and might not even play through the rest of his current contract.

Everything Ive seen says he's a free agent.
Reply/Quote
I would take Bolden and hope that Alford and Kummerow both get shots and then maybe look to draft a good WR in the mid - late rounds
Reply/Quote
I would like seeing Boldin. He is a solid vet and like already mentioned, he would be the most reliable hands since Housh.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you saying the Bengals should trade for Boldin? He's still under contract for three more years, all of which are cap friendly.

You smokadacrack? Boldin is 5 years older and has way worse stats over the last 6 years than Brandon Marshall who was traded for a 5th round pick last year.

Boldin is 35 and made a living being a possession receiver taking NFL hits. Pass on that all day. Even as a a veteran minimum free agent acquistion that would cost us nothing i would be weary of giving him a roster spot. 

The andre johnson and dwayne bowe flops come to mind.
Reply/Quote
With Sanu "virtually gone" it would create a void Boldin could fill for a year or 2 if needed. I'd be willing to bet he'd be better.
Reply/Quote
Shocked by the Boldin love on this board. Not sure what people have been watching with him the last couple years. Hate to break it to folks but Boldin is done. Name value only.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 04:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shocked by the Boldin love on this board. Not sure what people have been watching with him the last couple years. Hate to break it to folks but Boldin is done. Name value only.

Steve Smith is a year older (16th season.) then Boldin and isn't nearly as fast and as quick as he used to be but is still good enough to start for Baltimore and has pretty good numbers over his last 2 years...

7 Games Played, 46 Rec, 670 yards, 14.6 avg and 3 TDs (Obviously he was injured.)

16 Games Played, 79 Rec, 1,065 yards, 13.5 avg and 6 TDs

Boldin is a year younger (14th season.) and has never been known for his quickness or speed. He's big and physical and has sure hands. That usually translates easier into older age then speed and quickness. Last season he still put up good numbers with Gabbert at QB (Who looked better then Kaep.) and an atrocious 49ers offense.

14 Games Played, 69 Rec, 789 yards, 11.4 avg and 4 TDs

16 Games Played, 83 Rec, 1,062 yards, 12.8 avg and 5 TDs

So you don't have to look far to see how adding a veteran wideout can workout for your team look at the Ravens. Steve Smith is their primary target all we need Boldin to do is get third downs and be a possession guy. We have AJ Green and Eifert (maybe Jones too.) for yards and TDs. You want to say Boldin is all about name recognition. What do you have to support that?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 04:45 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Steve Smith is a year older (16th season.) then Boldin and isn't nearly as fast and as quick as he used to be but is still good enough to start for Baltimore and has pretty good numbers over his last 2 years...

7 Games Played, 46 Rec, 670 yards, 14.6 avg and 3 TDs (Obviously he was injured.)

16 Games Played, 79 Rec, 1,065 yards, 13.5 avg and 6 TDs

Boldin is a year younger (14th season.) and has never been known for his quickness or speed. He's big and physical and has sure hands. That usually translates easier into older age then speed and quickness. Last season he still put up good numbers with Gabbert at QB (Who looked better then Kaep.) and an atrocious 49ers offense.

14 Games Played, 69 Rec, 789 yards, 11.4 avg and 4 TDs

16 Games Played, 83 Rec, 1,062 yards, 12.8 avg and 5 TDs

So you don't have to look far to see how adding a veteran wideout can workout for your team look at the Ravens. Steve Smith is their primary target all we need Boldin to do is get third downs and be a possession guy. We have AJ Green and Eifert (maybe Jones too.) for yards and TDs. You want to say Boldin is all about name recognition. What do you have to support that?

and how did Johnson work out this year for Indy ?  In the past couple years veteran WRs as a whole have not done that well moving to a different team for the price you pay... Smith seems like the exception the last few years as a whole.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and how did Johnson work out this year for Indy ?  In the past couple years veteran WRs as a whole have not done that well moving to a different team for the price you pay... Smith seems like the exception the last few years as a whole.

Johnson may not have worked out, but there were high expectations for him.

I would have no problem with Boldin coming here. The team would clearly lay out his role in the free agency meeting. Boldin would know that he's not going to get top dollar here, and he will probably play mostly slot along with being the #3 or #4 option. He very well could be a mentor to whatever rookie we bring in along with Alford and Wright.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and how did Johnson work out this year for Indy ?  In the past couple years veteran WRs as a whole have not done that well moving to a different team for the price you pay... Smith seems like the exception the last few years as a whole.

LOL!!! No one worked well in Indy last year.  That team was a mess from the top down. I would be all for the bengals taking a boldin, Andre, colston as their number 2/3 for the next 2 years at 3m/year.  

All you need is a guy to produce 60/800/6 Stat line (give or take)

Any of those three would be able to put up similar numbers. ( colston being the least likely) 

And back to Indy... lol with hasselbeck at qb.  He is already a bad qb and was hurt more than he was healthy last year.  Plus Indy doesn't have anyone close to green, eifert, or gio that will draw coverage from all over the field.  

As our #2 with eifert, green, gio, and a burner wr that can stretch the field (Henry, martavius Bryant, Etc) our passing game would be better than most in the league
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 04:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shocked by the Boldin love on this board. Not sure what people have been watching with him the last couple years. Hate to break it to folks but Boldin is done. Name value only.

Boldin would easily replace the production of Sanu at a fraction of the cost. This would be a bandaid for a year or two but maybe the wr FA market would be better next year... Or more than likely they wouldn't be forced to draft a Wr high this year and be able to wait another year while focusing on other areas of need

sanu- Regular Season

Marvin Regular Season

boldin regular Season

Colston Regular Season

Andre Johnson
Regular Season

Out of those 3, 2 by far had a worse qb situation. If We lose sanu and jones and we are able to land a guy like this and also draft a guy in the 3-4 range our passing game shouldn't take that big of a step back. If any. But the last thing the bengals can afford to do is not do anything and go into the season with AJ and a bunch of unproven
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:43 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Boldin would easily replace the production of Sanu at a fraction of the cost. This would be a bandaid for a year or two but maybe the wr FA market would be better next year... Or more than likely they wouldn't be forced to draft a Wr high this year and be able to wait another year while focusing on other areas of need

sanu- Regular Season

Marvin Regular Season

boldin regular  Season

Colston Regular Season

Andre Johnson
Regular Season

Out of those 3, 2 by far had a worse qb situation.  If We lose sanu and jones and we are able to land a guy like this and also draft a guy in the 3-4 range our passing game shouldn't take that big of a step back.  If any.  But the last thing the bengals can afford to do is not do anything and go into the season with AJ and a bunch of unproven

we need more speed at WR if we lose Jones.. I would pass on Boldin if we lose Jones and look for more speed.  As for fraction of the cost.. Boldin was paid 2.2 million this year I believe.. Sanu around 650,000
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 06:38 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: LOL!!! No one worked well in Indy last year.  That team was a mess from the top down. I would be all for the bengals taking a boldin, Andre, colston as their number 2/3 for the next 2 years at 3m/year.  

All you need is a guy to produce 60/800/6 Stat line (give or take)

Any of those three would be able to put up similar numbers. ( colston being the least likely) 

And back to Indy... lol with hasselbeck at qb.  He is already a bad qb and was hurt more than he was healthy last year.  Plus Indy doesn't have anyone close to green, eifert, or gio that will draw coverage from all over the field.  

As our #2 with eifert, green, gio, and a burner wr that can stretch the field (Henry, martavius Bryant, Etc) our passing game would be better than most in the league

i just feel been many more misses than hits of late with veteran WRs... couple more bust or under achievers last year Bowe, S. Johnson, Harvins, Hartline, Britt, Douglas.. all veteran WRs that I think did not perform to their price tag.. the one success was Crabtree
Reply/Quote
I miss Laverneus Coles
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If we feel we can;t sign Jones.. I would go hard after Benjamin .. he has speed to get behind safeties and was a big play guy for the Browns last year
Reply/Quote