Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anquan Boldin
(03-05-2016, 08:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I've never claimed to want to replace Jones with Boldin. I want to replace Jones with Rishard Matthews.

I want Boldin to replace Housh for one year until the drafted rookie is ready to step in for 2017. I say replace Housh because he's never been replaced ever since he left. They need someone with good hands and good routes who can get you that third down conversion. Sanu doesn't have the physicality, routes, or hands to be that great 3rd down chain mover.

If I have to watch one more 3rd & 6 or 7 where the WR runs a 4 or 5 yard route, I will throw something. The draft is slow, so you pick up Rishard Matthews (15.4 avg) to be your #2, and then you look at the draft for the guy with hands/routes/physicality, and then you get him to learn from Anquan Boldin (who could possibly be a better candidate to teach that style of WR play?) for a year.

Amen.  Clapping

Coles
Bryant
TO
Simpson
Caldwell
Binns
Sanu
MLJ
?

MLJ was the only decent (long term) answer out of the whole bunch. It's not that #2 WRs are incredibly difficult to find, it's that the Bengals have made some really poor decisions (Coles, Bryant, Simpson, Binns) and at times they haven't taken the spot seriously (spending mid round picks or filling the position with some undrafted scrub).

As for Boldin though, I don't think he's going to go for being the 4th WR and 5th-6th option in an offense. He still has too much left to offer. I'd be ok with using Boldin as our #2 with a good draft pick waiting and learning behind him. For the people who think Boldin can't get deep, I'd advise looking at the video I posted. Also, Boldin had 10 catches if 20+ yards last season. MLJ had 13. Not much difference there. In this offense with these weapons, I imagine Boldin could get behind the defense even more.

Keeping MLJ and replacing Sanu with Boldin would be ideal, but I think Boldin would do just fine opposite AJ Green. People are still stuck on this whole "Sanu = Boldin" thing and the truth is that Sanu isn't fit to shine Boldin's cleats. Still.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Looks like James Jones is going to hit the open market. He is 4 years younger than Anquan and serves a similar purpose.

BTW: I didn't know until just now that his full name is James Earl Jones. Hell I'd sign him for that alone.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like James Jones is going to hit the open market. He is 4 years younger than Anquan and serves a similar purpose.

BTW: I didn't know until just now that his full name is James Earl Jones. Hell I'd sign him for that alone.

If the Bengals are serious about not jeopardizing their future comp picks, then you can scratch Jones off the list.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 08:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I've never claimed to want to replace Jones with Boldin. I want to replace Jones with Rishard Matthews.

I want Boldin to replace Housh for one year until the drafted rookie is ready to step in for 2017. I say replace Housh because he's never been replaced ever since he left. They need someone with good hands and good routes who can get you that third down conversion. Sanu doesn't have the physicality, routes, or hands to be that great 3rd down chain mover.

If I have to watch one more 3rd & 6 or 7 where the WR runs a 4 or 5 yard route, I will throw something. The draft is slow, so you pick up Rishard Matthews (15.4 avg) to be your #2, and then you look at the draft for the guy with hands/routes/physicality, and then you get him to learn from Anquan Boldin (who could possibly be a better candidate to teach that style of WR play?) for a year.

Might cost a comp pick to get Rishard but this is what i want as well. Want Rishard more than anybody in FA right now.

If we can bring back MLJ, Iloka/Reggie, Adam and get Rishard in FA this team is set going into the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 12:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Amen.  Clapping

Coles
Bryant
TO
Simpson
Caldwell
Binns
Sanu
MLJ
?

MLJ was the only decent (long term) answer out of the whole bunch. It's not that #2 WRs are incredibly difficult to find, it's that the Bengals have made some really poor decisions (Coles, Bryant, Simpson, Binns) and at times they haven't taken the spot seriously (spending mid round picks or filling the position with some undrafted scrub).

As for Boldin though, I don't think he's going to go for being the 4th WR and 5th-6th option in an offense. He still has too much left to offer. I'd be ok with using Boldin as our #2 with a good draft pick waiting and learning behind him. For the people who think Boldin can't get deep, I'd advise looking at the video I posted. Also, Boldin had 10 catches if 20+ yards last season. MLJ had 13. Not much difference there. In this offense with these weapons, I imagine Boldin could get behind the defense even more.

Keeping MLJ and replacing Sanu with Boldin would be ideal, but I think Boldin would do just fine opposite AJ Green. People are still stuck on this whole "Sanu = Boldin" thing and the truth is that Sanu isn't fit to shine Boldin's cleats. Still.

Winning!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Might cost a comp pick to get Rishard but this is what i want as well. Want Rishard more than anybody in FA right now.

If we can bring back MLJ, Iloka/Reggie, Adam and get Rishard in FA this team is set going into the Draft.

I would take Benjamin over Mathews.

Benjamin has put up better numbers on a terrible team in the Browns than Matthews has with a decent team in Miami.  Granted depends on the contract difference but I just think Benjamin is better and adds more to the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 08:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would take Benjamin over Mathews.

Benjamin has put up better numbers on a terrible team in the Browns than Matthews has with a decent team in Miami.  Granted depends on the contract difference but I just think Benjamin is better and adds more to the team.

I get why you would. I like Travis tons as well. Benjamin was pretty much the #1 in Cleveland though.

Rishard was a #2 in Miami. Both have great speed, i just think that Rishard is more under the radar.

Benjamin is more of a polished route runner and also adds the Returner element.

Both are on the top of my list especially if we don't get MLJ back.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 08:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get why you would. I like Travis tons as well. Benjamin was pretty much the #1 in Cleveland though.

Rishard was a #2 in Miami. Both have great speed, i just think that Rishard is more under the radar.

Benjamin is more of a polished route runner and also adds the Returner element.

Both are on the top of my list especially if we don't get MLJ back.

Well we know #1 in Cleveland is a #2 everywhere else Hilarious   but you might be right in that Benjamin price might be a bit high so Rishard could be the replacement for Jones... 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 08:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would take Benjamin over Mathews.

I'd take him (Benjamin) over Marvin Jones.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2016, 10:10 PM)jason Wrote: I'd take him (Benjamin) over Marvin Jones.

I would not if the money is close there's just too much proven chemistry with dalton.
Reply/Quote