Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antarctica Gaining More Ice Than Losing, says NASA
NASA says Antarctica is actually gaining ice not losing it as previously thought.

I don't think this ends the Climate Change debate (nor should it) but it should bring more thought and open the floor back up to discussions and inspections.

This was a fairly large chunk of the climate debate.
I would then have the question of what is the deal with the ice loss in the northern regions? Is the ice volume in the north decreasing? Between the two polar regions is it a net gain or a net loss? Then we have to look at the climate as a whole with this year, from what I'm given to understand, being the hottest on record to date. So is this a case of just the southern polar region's climate patterns being less affected than other areas?

Lots of questions this can bring up. Definitely is not an end to the climate change discussions, but brings some new information to it and some interesting questions to think of.
(11-02-2015, 04:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would then have the question of what is the deal with the ice loss in the northern regions? Is the ice volume in the north decreasing? Between the two polar regions is it a net gain or a net loss? Then we have to look at the climate as a whole with this year, from what I'm given to understand, being the hottest on record to date. So is this a case of just the southern polar region's climate patterns being less affected than other areas?

Lots of questions this can bring up. Definitely is not an end to the climate change discussions, but brings some new information to it and some interesting questions to think of.

It seems that questions aren't generally welcome to the climate debate, so I hope this brings them back into it. That's all I want is healthy debate and room for dissent without mockery or anything.

I think skepticism is necessary in science.
Even if it ends up being wrong, it has to be allowed.
So far I've only finished the first paragraph and I'm already snickering because Ted Cruz believes NASA should be conducting studies on space; not the Earth, even though the Earth is a part of space, obviously.

Smirk
(11-02-2015, 05:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So far I've only finished the first paragraph and I'm already snickering because Ted Cruz believes NASA should be conducting studies on space; not the Earth, even though the Earth is a part of space, obviously.

Smirk

Well, he's not exactly a bright man...outside of constitutional law apparently
(11-02-2015, 04:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: NASA says Antarctica is actually gaining ice not losing it as previously thought.

I don't think this ends the Climate Change debate (nor should it) but it should bring more thought and open the floor back up to discussions and inspections.

This was a fairly large chunk of the climate debate.

I saw this this morning, and it's interesting to say the least.  Super good news, since most thought that the continent was losing its ice exponentially.  
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am not sure I understand what is happening here.

Part of the ice is melting, but in other places it is getting thicker? Is that right?

Where does the new ice come from? Is it just rain and snow that freezes when it lands on the cold parts that are not melting? If so it could have to do with increased precipitation instead of any change in temperature.
I agree it is interesting. It is unfortunate the scientific debate has been turned into a political football.
(11-02-2015, 08:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree it is interesting. It is unfortunate the scientific debate has been turned into a political football.

Agreed on that. The things recommended are things that would be good for us to do in general to reduce our environmental impact and be good stewards of this world we have been given. Sad that it has all been politicized to the point where not being wasteful is seen as such a bad thing by so many.
(11-02-2015, 08:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Agreed on that. The things recommended are things that would be good for us to do in general to reduce our environmental impact and be good stewards of this world we have been given. Sad that it has all been politicized to the point where not being wasteful is seen as such a bad thing by so many.

Sad too that some don't believe we have an impact on the environment. 
(11-02-2015, 04:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would then have the question of what is the deal with the ice loss in the northern regions? Is the ice volume in the north decreasing? Between the two polar regions is it a net gain or a net loss? Then we have to look at the climate as a whole with this year, from what I'm given to understand, being the hottest on record to date. So is this a case of just the southern polar region's climate patterns being less affected than other areas?

Possibly something to do with the northern hemisphere emitting more pollution than the southern, you think ?
Not sure.
(11-02-2015, 08:04 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I saw this this morning, and it's interesting to say the least.  Super good news, since most thought that the continent was losing its ice exponentially.  

I'd be willing to bet it never was and that was the first political football made of the climate change debate to be honest. 
(11-03-2015, 02:52 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'd be willing to bet it never was and that was the first political football made of the climate change debate to be honest. 

Strange to see people who regularly post about the idiocy of climate change "deniers" sayings "hmmm, this is interesting".

It's bush league science, or at least what's been reported isn't nearly the same as what academic studies are concluding.  They don't even know what they don't know, which is why they continue to be so frickin' wrong again and again and again and again.

Yes, the left picked up this political football to run it down the field...everyone else is like "what science?...this isn't science this is conjecture"  Somehow understanding science in this case gets one branded as anti-science.  You can't make-up that level hypocrisy.
(11-03-2015, 03:16 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Strange to see people who regularly post about the idiocy of climate change "deniers" sayings "hmmm, this is interesting".

It's bush league science, or at least what's been reported isn't nearly the same as what academic studies are concluding.  They don't even know what they don't know, which is why they continue to be so frickin' wrong again and again and again and again.

Yes, the left picked up this political football to run it down the field...everyone else is like "what science?...this isn't science this is conjecture"  Somehow understanding science in this case gets one branded as anti-science.  You can't make-up that level hypocrisy.

I think there may be six other posters who have commented thus far besides yourself. So which "people" (plural) specifically posted about the idiocy of climate change "deniers"?
(11-03-2015, 08:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think there may be six other posters who have commented thus far besides yourself. So which "people" (plural) specifically posted about the idiocy of climate change "deniers"?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about previous threads and in other public discussion arenas as well.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(11-03-2015, 12:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about previous threads and in other public discussion arenas as well.

And I would like to know who specifically he is accusing of being the "people who regularly post about the idiocy of climate change "deniers" sayings "hmmm, this is interesting.""
(11-02-2015, 10:44 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Possibly something to do with the northern hemisphere emitting more pollution than the southern, you think ?
Not sure.

maybe the tilt of the earth has changed slightly?
(11-03-2015, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: maybe the tilt of the earth has changed slightly?

I was considering suggesting that, as well.
Good thought !
I think it rather valid.
(11-03-2015, 03:58 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I was considering suggesting that, as well.
Good thought !
I think it rather valid.

Could also be a natural thing of ice "shifting" there or something along those lines. 
(11-03-2015, 04:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Could also be a natural thing of ice "shifting" there or something along those lines. 

There is also actually more water in the southern hemisphere, which dissipates the heat more.
Antarctica also has a much higher altitude and is colder than the north pole.

That could play a factor with the ice formation.