Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anthem Protest Bengals
(09-07-2017, 11:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The anti police rhetoric is disgusting.   Why these people are not afforded common courtesy and respect is beyond me.

Police are afforded common courtesy and respect.

They also have the ability to take away your freedom or your life based on how you look and if they are "nervous".

So they get held to a higher standard.  Comes with the job.

I can't sell a product that I know will harm someone.  I will be held responsible for that.  Someone who sells another, less dangerous item is not held to thtat standard.

Pretty easy to understand, really.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-07-2017, 11:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Police are afforded common courtesy and respect.

They also have the ability to take away your freedom or your life based on how you look and if they are "nervous".

So they get held to a higher standard.  Comes with the job.

I can't sell a product that I know will harm someone.  I will be held responsible for that.  Someone who sells another, less dangerous item is not held to thtat standard.

Pretty easy to understand, really.

Except we're not talking about an "A" and "B" outcome.  There is a range of possibilities in between a totally lawful and properly conducted arrest and what happened to Sterling.  The issue at hand is a certain segment of our populace treating all members of the same profession like they're the latter.  You're a big fan of not treating a whole group, or judging them, based on the actions of their worst members.  Or, I should say, you're usually a big fan of that but seem ok with it in some instances.  When .00001% of interactions between LEO's and everyday citizens goes as it should, meaning no misconduct occurred, you have to wonder about the mindset of the people who are hyperfocused on that .00001%.
(09-07-2017, 12:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Except we're not talking about an "A" and "B" outcome.  There is a range of possibilities in between a totally lawful and properly conducted arrest and what happened to Sterling.  The issue at hand is a certain segment of our populace treating all members of the same profession like they're the latter.  You're a big fan of not treating a whole group, or judging them, based on the actions of their worst members.  Or, I should say, you're usually a big fan of that but seem ok with it in some instances.  When .00001% of interactions between LEO's and everyday citizens goes as it should, meaning no misconduct occurred, you have to wonder about the mindset of the people who are hyperfocused on that .00001%.

I wonder what the percentage is when a minority is the everyday citizen?

Because it seems THAT is what gets the most attention because it happens more often than with a non-minority.
(09-07-2017, 12:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: I wonder what the percentage is when a minority is the everyday citizen?

I don't know and neither do you.  I can say it will happen more often in a high crime area by simple fact that a high crime area will generate more police contact. 

Quote:Because it seems THAT is what gets the most attention because it happens more often than with a non-minority.

There's zero chance it happens more to non-minorities by dint of sheer numbers.  More white people are killed by police than non-whites, again by dint of sheer numbers.  What you're actually trying to describe is the fact that racial tension sells, therefore interracial shootings receive more media attention.  If being a minority were such a determinant factor then why are Hispanics proportionately represented in the criminal justice system and Asians are significantly under represented?
(09-07-2017, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2017/09/06/michael-bennett-police-incident-protest-seattle-seahawks/640041001/

Quote:I didn’t need to see the video to believe Michael Bennett.

I have no reason not to believe,

It might be nice if the author would give some reason as to why he or she and consequently, we the readers should just accept Bennett's account as 100% factual.
(09-07-2017, 02:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It might be nice if the author would give some reason as to why he or she and consequently, we the readers should just accept Bennett's account as 100% factual.

I assumed it was because they have heard/seen/experienced similar encounters.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/07/police-union-asks-nfl-take-appropriate-action-against-seahawks-michael-bennett/642983001/

Quote:The NFL says there is "no basis" for a personal conduct investigation against Michael Bennett after the head of the union that represents Las Vegas police officers asked NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to investigate and "take appropriate action" against the Seattle Seahawks defensive end for alleging officers racially profiled him in an incident after the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight on Aug. 26.

The letter written by Steve Grammas, president of the Las Vegas Police Protective Association, on Thursday comes a day after Bennett said he was detained "for doing nothing more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“I hope to have a discussion with Commissioner Goodell so we can have a conversation about these allegations that our officers are racist and racially profiled Mr. Bennett,” Grammas said in a phone interview with USA TODAY Sports. “We don’t like players from the National Football League making false allegations, which, I feel, is a violation of the NFL’s personal conduct policy.”

The NFL concluded there was no cause to launch any probe.

"There is no allegation of a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy and therefore there is no basis for an NFL investigation," league spokesman Brian McCarthy wrote in an email to USA TODAY Sports.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in a tweet
 that there are "no grounds" for an investigation.
(09-08-2017, 12:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/07/police-union-asks-nfl-take-appropriate-action-against-seahawks-michael-bennett/642983001/

I liked how the Las Vegas Police have pointed out a couple of times, in the presser and the letter to NFL, that the arresting officers in question were latino. As if somehow that excuses their actions against Bennett because they weren't 'white'. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-08-2017, 12:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I liked how the Las Vegas Police have pointed out a couple of times, in the presser and the letter to NFL, that the arresting officers in question were latino. As if somehow that excuses their actions against Bennett because they weren't 'white'. 

I guess the implication is only white people are racist which is racist.

I kid. I kid.

I think the funny part is the police union reached out to Goddell to punish Bennett.
It is all going to be known what happened. Vegas has plenty of cameras if the police don't release anything of it.
(09-08-2017, 12:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/07/police-union-asks-nfl-take-appropriate-action-against-seahawks-michael-bennett/642983001/

I hate to say it, but I think the league is correct here. Even if Bennett made up the whole event, I'm not so sure that warrants an investigation by the NFL.

(09-08-2017, 12:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I liked how the Las Vegas Police have pointed out a couple of times, in the presser and the letter to NFL, that the arresting officers in question were latino. As if somehow that excuses their actions against Bennett because they weren't 'white'. 

To be fair, many of those who are vehemently anti-police have made the claim that only whites are racist (or heavily implied it). But, I think it was just this dude's misguided attempt at defending his officers.
(08-27-2017, 07:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If someone considers the flag to be more than a thing, than yeah, I would consider that hypernationalist idolatry. That picture, or any picture, is just a thing.

As for the last bit, that's just called being a criminal.

Just to clarify, you are saying showing any respect for the flag, because it's only a thing, is hypernationalist idolatry?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Looks like Bennett lied. And Video to prove it

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21730/watch-new-arrest-video-shows-nfls-michael-bennett-ryan-saavedra

Quote:WATCH: New Arrest Video Shows NFL's Michael Bennett Lied About Why He Was Detained

Ryan SaavedraSeptember 29, 2017

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images
New video evidence appears to suggest that Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett lied about why police officers took him down in Las Vegas in late August.

Bennett claimed that he was the victim of racial profiling when police officers detained him outside the Cromwell Hotel following the Mayweather vs. McGregor fight as they were searching for a possible active shooter.

TMZ previously reported that everyone in the club was told by the police to get down and not move, at which point Bennett reportedly took off running.

On September 6, Bennett said that police “singled me out and pointed their guns at me for doing nothing more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

However, newly-released footage shows that Bennett did not tell the truth about why he was detained.

“The footage shows a 3-man police team — made up of 2 Hispanic officers and 1 black officer — identify Bennett as a suspicious person who did not get down on the ground as ordered during the hotel sweep,” TMZ reported Friday.

During the incident Bennett screamed, “I wasn't doing nothing man! I was here with my friends! They told us to get out, everybody ran!”

Bennett also claimed that one of the police officers threated to “blow my f**king head off,” of which there is no proof.

Follow Ryan Saavedra on Twitter
(09-29-2017, 09:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Looks like Bennett lied. And Video to prove it

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21730/watch-new-arrest-video-shows-nfls-michael-bennett-ryan-saavedra

Umm, did you see the three men run right past the police at the very beginning of the video?

There's shooting. You're running away. You understand how that looks?

That's brilliant ***** police work right there. Do you understand what it looks like when you're running away from gun fire? LMFAO
(09-29-2017, 11:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Umm, did you see the three men run right past the police at the very beginning of the video?

There's shooting. You're running away. You understand how that looks?

That's brilliant ***** police work right there. Do you understand what it looks like when you're running away from gun fire? LMFAO

When the police clearly instructed people to get down? Sounds pretty obvious when the police tell you to something you do it. There job is hard enough.
(09-30-2017, 12:05 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When the police clearly instructed people to get down? Sounds pretty obvious when the police tell you to something you do it. There job is hard enough.

If the police clearly instructed people to get down why did three men run right past them?
(09-30-2017, 12:24 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If the police clearly instructed people to get down why did three men run right past them?

Shouldn't the question you should be asking is why weren't these theee morons doing what the several others in area were doing.
(09-11-2017, 09:17 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Just to clarify, you are saying showing any respect for the flag, because it's only a thing, is hypernationalist idolatry?  

In my opinion? Yeah. The way the flag is revered is hypernationalist idolatry.
(09-30-2017, 12:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Shouldn't the question you should be asking is why weren't these theee morons doing what the several others in area were doing.

Once again you obviously haven't watched the video. Shouldn't you watch the video before you make any more asinine suggestions?