Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anthem Protest Bengals
It's their right to protest, I may not necessarily agree with where and how they're protesting but I won't chastise anyone for it. Because at the end of the day... It's just football. I watch because I love the game of football. I honestly don't care what happens a few minutes prior to kickoff. It doesn't affect the game. Hell, before this even became a cultural phenemon the national anthem was only shown on tv prior to special occasions. I simply refuse the let it bother me. I'm here to watch football. That's it.
The flag stands for a lot of different things to a lot of different people so I think it's a poor choice to protest because regardless of your point people are emotional and your message won't come through and it's fair for that to bother people imo. How can you protest the flag and not have it come across as disrespectful to vets and other values even if you don't mean it that way? I'm not sure that you can.

I guess my bottom line is I don't think the protest is effective it just riles people up but it wouldn't upset me if Bengals players did it as long as their intentions are noble even if I disagreed with the intent.
(08-22-2017, 01:14 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: How will you feel if Bengal Players start kneeling during the Anthem?  

I'll just tell myself they are praying for a playoff win.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-22-2017, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You might want to go back 1 WW

Why would I want to go there? Carnage, and gas, and trenches, and barbwire... No thank you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-22-2017, 03:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's their right to protest, I may not necessarily agree with where and how they're protesting but I won't chastise anyone for it. Because at the end of the day... It's just football. I watch because I love the game of football. I honestly don't care what happens a few minutes prior to kickoff. It doesn't affect the game. Hell, before this even became a cultural phenemon the national anthem was only shown on tv prior to special occasions. I simply refuse the let it bother me. I'm here to watch football. That's it.

That's the way to take it. I can't believe the hysteria that people get whipped into via social media and the "news".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Remember that the anthem was written during the Battle of Baltimore. The resistance of Baltimore’s Fort McHenry during bombardment by the Royal Navy inspired Francis Scott Key to compose the poem "Defence of Fort McHenry", which later became the lyrics for "The Star-Spangled Banner", the national anthem of the United States of America. This was not composed during any social protest, but during a battle at which American servicemen were dying in defense of the country. This is why kneeling or sitting during the anthem is so disrespectful to anyone that has served the country. I saluted that flag everyday for 21 years and myself find it insulting for anyone to disrepect what the flag and anthem represent to the military. Servicemen did not fight, and many die for social injustice, but to defend the country and each players right to protest against social injustice, so why disrespect them when there are many other ways to protest.

This is one of the best responses I've read on this topic. I'm not sure what's going on with this hatred people suddenly have for their Country. When the media portrays a group of people waving a communist flag as "the good guys" while allowing our flag to be burned, spit on, ridiculed, and dare I say flown in pride without being considered a racist is insane. I love my country, and I love my football. I just don't think the Anthem is the proper time to decide to make a statement. Athletes have a mic in their face whenever they want, say your peace on your own time. If someone runs on the field with a sign during the game they don't show them. These players are doing this on the NFL's dime, stop showing them. Or just start playing the Anthem before these clowns come out on the field. I will be very disappointed if any of our players participate in this.
(08-22-2017, 01:30 PM)corpjet Wrote: I would be embarrassed, as the Bengals and my employees the players, this would be discussed prior in a closed door meeting.

Every employee is entitled to their beliefs, religions, etc however the playing field isn't the place to voice that concern.

Honestly no different than if one of my employees at work did something like this to tarnish our business, they would be looking for a job elsewhere.

Well stated corpjet!  The workplace is not a place to promote your political position.  

These idiots are doing nothing more than grandstanding to bring attention to themselves, not a cause.  If they truly cared they'd be out trying to make their communities better every day.  They need to use their public platform to do something positive rather than doing something they know is controversial.  Young and dumb!
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
I wouldn't even notice if the media wasn't making a circus of it. I'm personally not looking around to make sure people are behaving "properly" during the anthem. I'm a vet and I don't stand before the anthem because it's a tradition that makes no sense to me. I play some Tom Petty and stare at a Ford pick-up to show my patriotism.
(08-22-2017, 04:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I wouldn't even notice if the media wasn't making a circus of it. I'm personally not looking around to make sure people are behaving "properly" during the anthem. I'm a vet and I don't stand before the anthem because it's a tradition that makes no sense to me.

But what does your love of animals have to do with it?  Ninja
I've supported this team through all sorts of clownish and even reprehensible behavior by players. W'eve had drunk drivers, lady punchers, dudes spitting on nurses, solicitors of underaged girls, various assaults on citizens, wannabe date rapists, and a plethora of other questionable to abhorrent activities perpetrated by players while in stripes. A few of these crimes could have literally gotten someone killed. Why would a protest move me any more than these actual criminal acts? If I'm willing to overlook all that, which apparently I am, wouldn't it be hypocritical for me to bail on them for kneeling?
(08-22-2017, 03:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'll just tell myself they are praying for a playoff win.

lol!!!!!  
Im a peace officer in California so obviously i think its all B.S. . But thats my opinion. I think its disrespectful but its their right. They can do as they please.
I thought the guys kneeling during the anthem were showing their support for Tim Tebow. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-22-2017, 01:14 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: How will you feel if Bengal Players start kneeling during the Anthem?  

(Sorry if this has been posted)

It does not bother me, because during the national anthem, the rush of patriotic pride that flows through my body is so intense that I can only focus on the inspiring words of the song, the beauty of our flag and the honor that I feel to live in a country where these players are guaranteed their freedom of speech.
I served my country for 25 years. During that time, I have seen stuff that I don't wish anyone to ever see. Yes these players kneeling do upset me somewhat but that is their right. Hating and killing people has got to stop.
I honestly couldn't care less. Frankly, I doubt anyone would even notice the players doing this if the drama queens over at ESPN didn't go out of their way to talk about it week after ***** week.
Everything in this post is my fault.
(08-22-2017, 03:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'll just tell myself they are praying for a playoff win.

LMAO Ok this might be the best response. Nice one.
(08-22-2017, 03:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's their right to protest, I may not necessarily agree with where and how they're protesting but I won't chastise anyone for it. Because at the end of the day... It's just football. I watch because I love the game of football. I honestly don't care what happens a few minutes prior to kickoff. It doesn't affect the game. Hell, before this even became a cultural phenemon the national anthem was only shown on tv prior to special occasions. I simply refuse the let it bother me. I'm here to watch football. That's it.

it is there right to protest but it is also the right of the Owners to say don't do it on my field... 
A couple of things in regard to the Anthem protests. As far as I can tell, there are rules and procedure for observance of the flag and National Anthem. However, there is no punishment for failure to observe the flag code. So, if a player or fan in attendance wishes to make a statement by not observing flag code, that is basically their choice. Who are we to attempt to know what's going on in the hearts and minds of people that we don't even know? If any Bengals chose that route, I would be disappointed, but they may have good reason. Not for me to judge. Personally, I choose to observe the flag code. (unless of course I've pregamed a little too hard, and forget what I'm doing)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/national-anthem-etiquette-what-to-do-at-a-sporting-event-or-political-rally/

Quote:The Flag Code leaves out a punishment for violating its requirements, so there are no legal consequences for those who break its rules. And according to the National Anthem Project, improper etiquette might not be the worst "Star Spangled" faux pas Americans make.

The actual flag code, if anyone wishes to observe proper procedure.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

Quote:36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem
US Code
Notes
prev | next
(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1)when the flag is displayed—
(A)individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B)members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
©all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2)when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Notice how the official flag code always says "should", and not "must". Meaning to me, that they left room for just this sort of situation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23