Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Bourdain has the greatest freaking job in the world.
Not only does he get to travel to the most exotic, diverse, and interesting countries on earth, but as soon as he get there he hooks up with cool locals who turn him on to the best food and party spots.

He is a famous chef, but his current show "Parts Unknown" is more about people, history, and culture than just food. And he handles it very well. He discusses the political history without taking sides. His main point seems to be to show how people everywhere are pretty much the same once you get down to the basics. The best example I can give is the episode where he went to Israel. It is hard to discuss the problems in Israel with out taking a stand on one side or the other, but Bourdain spent time with Jew who basically said "I love to have good times with my friends and family; I love to eat this type of food; and the situation here is all messed up." Then he spent time with a Palestinian who basically said "I love to have good times with my friends and family: I love to eat this type of food; and the situation here is all messed up".

Another thing I like about his show is that he puts a lot of emphasis on what the common man eats in these countries. He spends a lot more time eating "street food" than food from top restaurants. And he always treats the poor people and their food with as much respect as anyone else. He doesn't concentrate on how miserable their lives are. Instead he shows them having fun and enjoying food with their friends and family.

And the guy LOVES to drink and party. He constantly jokes about how much he drinks. One episode he was in Hawaii at a huge house party being thrown by Shep Gordon (arguably the coolest guy on earth), and he talked about how as the evening progressed "attitudes were adjusted by means indigenous to the Island".

I highly recommend everyone check out his show on CNN. It is always fun, but at the same time educational about history and different cultures. He is cool and very smart without being preachy.

And, of course, he also talks a lot about food.
Reply/Quote
I also like Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. He does much the same thing, and talks about how food is the common denominator that everyone loves. But this dude will eat absolutely anything. It doesnt matter what they put in front of him, brains, eyes, live grubs, whatever, he eats it with the people.
Reply/Quote
I've always thought that AB and Sarah Brown(I think that's her name) had the best jobs on Earth. She gets to go to all kinds of exotic resorts and eat the finest meals. Bourdain kind of does the same thing, but has a much more refined delivery while describing it.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 11:10 PM)Harmening Wrote: I've always thought that AB and Sarah Brown(I think that's her name) had the best jobs on Earth.  She gets to go to all kinds of exotic resorts and eat the finest meals.  Bourdain kind of does the same thing, but has a much more refined delivery while describing it.

Samantha Brown...yes, she has a great job also.
Reply/Quote
The first time I saw "No Reservations" I said the same thing. I can't think of a better job on the planet. Andrew Zimmern creeps me out though. He's a weirdy.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 11:10 PM)Harmening Wrote: I've always thought that AB and Sarah Brown(I think that's her name) had the best jobs on Earth.  She gets to go to all kinds of exotic resorts and eat the finest meals.  Bourdain kind of does the same thing, but has a much more refined delivery while describing it.

(06-28-2015, 12:11 AM)Beaker Wrote: Samantha Brown...yes, she has a great job also.

Yeah she sure has a good time, but I like Bourdain's show a lot more.  He gets more down and dirty instead of just doing the tourist travel thing.

I can't see Samantha traveling down the Congo River on a primitive cargo boat or getting trapped under gunfire in Beirut.   
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not only does he get to travel to the most exotic, diverse, and interesting countries on earth, but as soon as he get there he hooks up with cool locals who turn him on to the best food and party spots.

He is a famous chef, but his current show "Parts Unknown" is more about people, history, and culture than just food.  And he handles it very well.  He discusses the political history without taking sides.  His main point seems to be to show how people everywhere are pretty much the same once you get down to the basics.  The best example I can give is the episode where he went to Israel. It is hard to discuss the problems in Israel with out taking a stand on one side or the other, but Bourdain spent time with Jew who basically said "I love to have good times with my friends and family; I love to eat this type of food; and the situation here is all messed up."  Then he  spent time with a Palestinian who basically said "I love to have good times with my friends and family: I love to eat this type of food; and the situation here is all messed up".

Another thing I like about his show is that he puts a lot of emphasis on what the common man eats in these countries.  He spends a lot more time eating "street food" than food from top restaurants.  And he always treats the poor people and their food with as much respect as anyone else.  He doesn't concentrate on how miserable their lives are.  Instead he shows them having fun and enjoying food with their friends and family.

And the guy LOVES to drink and party.  He constantly jokes about how much he drinks.  One episode he was in Hawaii at a huge house party being thrown by Shep Gordon (arguably the coolest guy on earth), and he talked about how as the evening progressed "attitudes were adjusted by means indigenous to the Island".

I highly recommend everyone check out his show on CNN.  It is always fun, but at the same time educational about history and different cultures.  He is cool and very smart without being preachy.

And, of course, he also talks a lot about food.

You keep changing your mind Fred. Last month you said the greatest job in the world was working in a laundry mat so you could sniff women's soiled panties. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 12:22 AM)GodFather Wrote: You keep changing your mind Fred. Last month you said the greatest job in the world was working in a laundry mat so you could sniff women's soiled panties. Ninja

No, that was me.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 11:16 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No, that was me.

you took my dream job

jerk :angry:
Reply/Quote
I always thought Ron Jeremy had the greatest job in the world?????? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Been watching Anthony for awhile. One of my favorite shows ever was "No Reservations". I think they stopped filming it a year or two ago, but it was pretty much the same show just with a different name and on the Travel Channel. Fascinating show.

Another cool, similar show is called "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman". I might even like it better than Bourdain's show.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote