Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Lynn (likely to be fired) has more wins this year than Zac does in his career
I think that this is an unforeseen (by most fans at the time) consequence of hiring a young, less-experienced coach. Dude has no connections but bad ones like Turner, Lou, and Callahan (the lesser Callahan). Taylor is a meh play caller and a the jury is out on his input in player evaluation. His group had a great draft this year and a real dogshit one in 2019. An experienced staff was badly needed for him to succeed here, and he didn't really get one, or at least not a good one. he got the "toaster leavins'", as Al Bundy would call them, of NFL assistants.

You get energy and a fresh outlook with a young head coach, but you're sacrificing the rolodex that comes with a connected longtime HC or assistant. Idk if this is the FO's failure, or Zac's. On one hand, the FO is certainly ignorant enough to overlook the importance of an experienced assistant to guide a guy like Zac. However, I get more of an impression that Zac really didn't think he needed a guy with clout and a solid track record siphoning off a chunk of his authority. He, like most guys in that line of work had a plan (not a very coherent one), and he was going to implement it with absolute control, then take credit for it. This was IMO, along to injuries and a fading group of declining Marvin-era veterans soaking up cap and roster spots, sabotaged Taylor from day 1.

In short, Zac wasn't smart or experienced enough to know that he needed help when he obviously did.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 12:08 PM)samhain Wrote: I think that this is an unforeseen (by most fans at the time) consequence of hiring a young, less-experienced coach.  Dude has no connections but bad ones like Turner, Lou, and Callahan (the lesser Callahan).  Taylor is a meh play caller and a the jury is out on his input in player evaluation.  His group had a great draft this year and a real dogshit one in 2019.  An experienced staff was badly needed for him to succeed here, and he didn't really get one, or at least not a good one.  he got the "toaster leavins'", as Al Bundy would call them, of NFL assistants.  

You get energy and a fresh outlook with a young head coach, but you're sacrificing the rolodex that comes with a connected longtime HC or assistant.  Idk if this is the FO's failure, or Zac's.  On one hand, the FO is certainly ignorant enough to overlook the importance of an experienced assistant to guide a guy like Zac.  However, I get more of an impression that Zac really didn't think he needed a guy with clout and a solid track record siphoning off a chunk of his authority.  He, like most guys in that line of work had a plan (not a very coherent one), and he was going to implement it with absolute control, then take credit for it.  This was IMO, along to injuries and a fading group of declining Marvin-era veterans soaking up cap and roster spots, sabotaged Taylor from day 1.  

In short, Zac wasn't smart or experienced enough to know that he needed help when he obviously did.

It was quite easy to see that the McVay hype was why he was hired. He had no success as even an OC at college or pro level. When he couldn't hire a DC that was an obvious huge red flag.

Fans wanted Marvin out and saw what they wanted to see with Taylor.

When I pointed out all the red flags, people called me bitter. When we played Seattle close, that was the pinnacle of people telling me how wrong I was. Reality is, I want the team to win. I just knew Taylor wasnt the guy. He has failed much worse than I thought he would though. I thought an average coach could win 6-7 games Year 1.
Reply/Quote