Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Munoz Voted Best Tackle Of All-Time!
ESPN asked 50 experts, reporters and analysts to name the NFL's greatest player of all time at every position, and Munoz was voted the GOAT at tackle!

Quote:Voting results: Munoz earned 27 of 50 votes (54%)

Career: Cincinnati (1980-1992)
Hall of Fame: 1998
Pro Bowl selections: 11
Career stats: 185 games, 184 starts

Why he's the GOAT offensive tackle: Munoz was named to the NFL's 100th anniversary team, the 75th anniversary team and the 1980s All-Decade team, all after having three surgeries on his knees in his college career. He was an All-Pro in 11 consecutive seasons. Munoz had incredible traits and almost unfailing consistency at an elite level. -- Legwold

Stat to know: From 1981 to '90, the Bengals' offense ranked in the top 10 in scoring seven times and in the top 10 in yards nine times, thanks in part to Munoz's protection at left tackle.

What our voters said

Munoz has long been considered one of the best offensive linemen to play the game. In 2000, he was voted to the NFL All-Time Team by the Hall of Fame selection committee, and former Bengals tight end Bob Trumpy told NFL Network that Munoz "absolutely devastated defensive ends in this league." -- Ben Baby, Bengals reporter

It's pretty simple for me: He was as dominant a player at his position as there has been in the NFL. A mauler with the feet of a dancer, he could overpower guys or beat them with his mobility. Munoz is the standard against which all offensive tackles are measured. -- Michael DiRocco, Jaguars reporter

He dominated his era with a staggering nine first-team All-Pro selections. And he's arguably the most identifiable icon from the Bengals' 1981 and 1989 Super Bowl teams, which is rare air for an offensive lineman. He just set the bar too high for all the other elite candidates who followed. -- Mike Triplett, Saints reporter

I love that he played his entire career here and he definitely helped us to some damn good seasons!

It's sad that we couldn't win a Super Bowl with him but I love that a Bengals player is getting this kind of recognition!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ESPN asked 50 experts, reporters and analysts to name the NFL's greatest player of all time at every position, and Munoz was voted the GOAT at tackle!

I love that he played his entire career here and he definitely helped us to some damn good seasons!

It's sad that we couldn't win a Super Bowl with him but I love that a Bengals player is getting this kind of recognition!

He played a hot second in Tampa (preseason only I believe), but yeah... Numero uno of all time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
He was always #1 in my heart even before the vote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Munoz was just in a league by himself. Well deserved
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 04:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Munoz was just in a league by himself. Well deserved

Absolutely. Great man.. great tackle. He's the standard.
Reply/Quote
I’d love a 30 mins long Muñoz highlight. He’s a generation before me and Willie Anderson is the best Iv ever seen a Bengals lineman play
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 09:05 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d love a 30 mins long Muñoz highlight. He’s a generation before me and Willie Anderson is the best Iv ever seen a Bengals lineman play

Blocked by the NFL on here but here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qBLO2Z_7o

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I did some work at his house once and he is just as amazing as a person as he was as a player.
Reply/Quote
He had it all. Size, mobility, work ethic, leadership, and class. The golden standard for NFL tackles.

His pinky finger still creeps me out though!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 02:52 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: He had it all. Size, mobility, work ethic, leadership, and class. The golden standard for NFL tackles.

His pinky finger still creeps me out though!

Torry Holt's is pretty bad too.
Holt's is the middle finger.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I totally didn't know Munoz was with the Bucs. Looks like he got hurt in the preseason and retired.
Reply/Quote
His highlights are hilarious. Defensive ends getting blocked and thrown around like rag dolls.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 09:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Blocked by the NFL on here but here's a link.

Finally getting around to watching this.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:40 AM)Earendil Wrote: I did some work at his house once and he is just as amazing as a person as he was as a player.

Agree.  I've met him also.
Reply/Quote
Should of been unanimous.

That is how good Munoz was.

The best ever at his position of LT by far IMO. Best all around blocker in both run and pass with the best technique.

Willie might be the best RT, saw his quote today about him and Bobbie running their Power 24 and just doing it till
guys like McGinest's back of his head hit the field. It didn't even matter if they knew the play was coming is what
Willie said and it wasn't good enough to just block the guy good enough either.

Something like that, just read it on bengals.com.

We have had some great Tackles, I hope Jonah and La'el can play something like these guys in the years to come.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:40 AM)Earendil Wrote: I did some work at his house once and he is just as amazing as a person as he was as a player.

That is a great thing to hear Earendil. Thanks for that. Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ESPN asked 50 experts, reporters and analysts to name the NFL's greatest player of all time at every position, and Munoz was voted the GOAT at tackle!

Just an incredible athlete. 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 09:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Blocked by the NFL on here but here's a link.

His strength and positioning off snap was amazing in those highlights. A defender never really caught him out of position. If you were gonna beat him you were gonna have to put moves on him. He must’ve knew the playbook like the back of his hand
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2022, 07:17 PM)Housh Wrote: His strength and positioning off snap was amazing in those highlights. A defender never really caught him out of position. If you were gonna beat him you were gonna have to put moves on him. He must’ve knew the playbook like the back of his hand

Yes, maybe Bruce Smith or Reggie White would get him once in a great while, that is how great Anthony was.
Reply/Quote
Also, that is a crazy damn highlight where Kenny throws the pick after Munoz knocks 2 D-lineman down and then goes
and lays the wood on the Jet or Eagle Corner that got the pick lol

If I was one of his QB's or RB's he would be a guy I could rely on as a friend in life that is for sure.

No one ever gave more effort in their job than Anthony Munoz to protect his QB and open holes for the RB in football IMHO.
Reply/Quote