Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antonio Brown
(09-18-2018, 08:34 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Well they’re definitely not giving in to Bell or kissing his backside, that’s for sure

My bet is they will let him come back when he wants getting away with HIS way!

I doubt Billy B and the Pats would have put up with him.
Reply/Quote
Next man up. Stop giving into these greedy jerks.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 03:09 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Luckily the Steelers are great at drafting receivers. Browns replacement is already on the roster in James Washington. He and Juju are the future. They won't pay AB what he wants when his contract is up.

What you guys are overlooking in the article is the real problem. The thing that should make you giddy. And that is this quote from Tomliin in 2015 when asked about AB's celebration antics.

“It’s funny to me sometimes that people think I can stop a grown man from doing something like that,” he said. “What do you want me to do? Not play him …

Yep, he said that. Could you imagine Bill Belichick uttering those words? Or even Bill Cowher? Tomlin is over his head. There's no discipline and the inmates run the asylum. As long as he's there this team will underachieve. Honestly, the Steelers win in spite of him. They've got so much talent that they can overcome his ineptitude to win enough regular season games to keep his seat cool. Until the playoffs and the talent level evens out that is. Im also beginning to think that the Rooney's are enamoured with their image of being a coach friendly place and we're stuck with Omar Epps for many more seasons. Which of course is good news for you all and what this thread should truly be about. AB is temporary. Tomlin is forever.  AB is merely a case of crabs. Tomlin is herpes.  Sick

Tomlin sucks, but in fairness, there is very little a head coach can do to a superstar player to enforce discipline.  What is going to do?  Have him run gassers?  Brown would laugh in his face and walk out if he tried.  Is he seriously going to bench Brown for a game while he's sitting at 0-1-1?  The media and fans would crucify him.

Last year, Brown signed a 4 year extension that makes him the highest paid WR in the NFL.  The Steelers will be dealing with cap hell if they cut or trade him.  There's no way Tomlin can go up against Brown and win.  Even if the Rooney's agree with him on principle, they can't do anything to Brown because they've handcuffed himself with his contract and Ben only has a couple of years left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 12:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tomlin sucks, but in fairness, there is very little a head coach can do to a superstar player to enforce discipline.  What is going to do?  Have him run gassers?  Brown would laugh in his face and walk out if he tried.  Is he seriously going to bench Brown for a game while he's sitting at 0-1-1?  The media and fans would crucify him.

Last year, Brown signed a 4 year extension that makes him the highest paid WR in the NFL.  The Steelers will be dealing with cap hell if they cut or trade him.  There's no way Tomlin can go up against Brown and win.  Even if the Rooney's agree with him on principle, they can't do anything to Brown because they've handcuffed himself with his contract and Ben only has a couple of years left.

Hopefully Bengals management learned their lesson with Chad Johnson.

He created a lot of ' low grade just under the surface' animosity in the locker room with his antics

Teammates didn't bluntly point the finger, but, reading between the lines you could see the insinuations.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 09:58 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: My bet is they will let him come back when he wants getting away with HIS way!

I doubt Billy B and the Pats would have put up with him.
They have to take him back when he signs, so it is up to him. Nothing that they can do about that other than to release him or rescind the tag, which he would love. Free Agency with zero touches. They may as well use him up in someway and get some production from him when he finally does come in. Plus they're going to save almost $9M ( I wonder how that will square with the cap? Will they get extra to spend next year?) assuming that he holds out until week 10. If it were up to me, he'd be 3rd string and I would make him return punts and play the gunner position on STs. But knowing Coach Limp Dick, you're probably right. He'll be the starter and get just enough reps to get back into game shape for the offseason. 

(09-19-2018, 12:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tomlin sucks, but in fairness, there is very little a head coach can do to a superstar player to enforce discipline.  What is going to do?  Have him run gassers?  Brown would laugh in his face and walk out if he tried.  Is he seriously going to bench Brown for a game while he's sitting at 0-1-1?  The media and fans would crucify him.

Tell that to Bill Belichick. He benched Wes Welker for making foot jokes about Rex Ryan. And just last February he went too far and sat Malcolm Butler the whole SB. 

And yes, make him run gassers. Maybe not bench him the whole game, but make him miss the first series, or the first quarter, or the first half of a game. And if he laughs at you, sit him even more. Your logic is exactly why Brown is where he is today. This should have been nipped in the bud 5 years ago. Excessive celebrations? Meh, what can I do? He's a grown man. Facebook Live in the locker room? Meh, do nothing until its too late and he's embarrassed you. Pouting on the sideline? He's just competitive. But instead it's allowed to fester and he's become what he is today. 

And who cares what the fans and the media say. They should be of no consideration to him. His job is to win championships, not make the fans and media happy. 

Can't say that Im surprised though. You lead by example and this is the example that he sets......

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/pittsburgh-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-breaks-all-new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-rules
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 06:20 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: They have to take him back when he signs, so it is up to him. Nothing that they can do about that other than to release him or rescind the tag, which he would love. Free Agency with zero touches. They may as well use him up in someway and get some production from him when he finally does come in. Plus they're going to save almost $9M ( I wonder how that will square with the cap? Will they get extra to spend next year?) assuming that he holds out until week 10. If it were up to me, he'd be 3rd string and I would make him return punts and play the gunner position on STs. But knowing Coach Limp Dick, you're probably right. He'll be the starter and get just enough reps to get back into game shape for the offseason. 

Tell that to Bill Belichick. He benched Wes Welker for making foot jokes about Rex Ryan. And just last February he went too far and sat Malcolm Butler the whole SB. 

And yes, make him run gassers. Maybe not bench him the whole game, but make him miss the first series, or the first quarter, or the first half of a game. And if he laughs at you, sit him even more. Your logic is exactly why Brown is where he is today. This should have been nipped in the bud 5 years ago. Excessive celebrations? Meh, what can I do? He's a grown man. Facebook Live in the locker room? Meh, do nothing until its too late and he's embarrassed you. Pouting on the sideline? He's just competitive. But instead it's allowed to fester and he's become what he is today. 

And who cares what the fans and the media say. They should be of no consideration to him. His job is to win championships, not make the fans and media happy. 

Can't say that Im surprised though. You lead by example and this is the example that he sets......

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/pittsburgh-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-breaks-all-new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-rules

You think this is the beginning of the end of the Ben, Bell, Brown era ?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 06:20 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Tell that to Bill Belichick. He benched Wes Welker for making foot jokes about Rex Ryan. And just last February he went too far and sat Malcolm Butler the whole SB. 

Thing is, the Patriots win largely because of Belichick.  The Steelers win largely in spite of Tomlin.  Bob Kraft is going to have Bill's back in any player-coach dispute except probably Brady.  The Rooney's aren't going to have Tomlin's back if he butts heads with Brown.  It would be career suicide.  There's not an owner in the league that's backing Wes Welker over Belichick.  Belichick is the greatest NFL HC of all time.  Tomlin is a glorified Barry Switzer.

When it comes to player discipline in the NFL, the head coach is just middle management.  He can huff and puff all he wants, but he has to have the support of the GM and the owner to blow the house down.  It's not like high school or college.  The only motivation for an NFL player taking discipline from a coach is that they might lose their job if they don't.  If you're a fringe player or aren't living up to your contract, that threat is real.  If you just became the highest paid player at your position and are one of the NFL's poster boys, that threat is completely empty.  I mean, look at the precedent the Steelers have set.  Bell is as much or more of a problem child as Brown and the Steelers are doing everything in their power to hold onto him for as long as possible.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 06:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You think this is the beginning of the end of the Ben, Bell, Brown era ?
Bell is definitely out. Who knows what will become of Brown. My guess is that Coach Limp Dick will have a post-emptive talking to with him and he'll play nice the rest of the year. Not sure after the season of of the cap implications of a cut or trade. According to Over the Cap, a post June 1, 2019 trade would really soften the blow dead money wise. But that would just delay getting a good return (assuming draft picks) until the 2020 draft. Also, Im not even sure if Im reading the chart right. But Im getting way ahead here. This will probably smooth over for the foreseeable future. 

As far as Ben? You have to wonder how much more of this bullshit he can take. Who knows what he's thinking. He probably doesn't even know and he'll probably let you know everytime his mind changes. One thing for sure is that I get the vibe that he really doesn't care too much for Tomlin. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Whatever
(09-19-2018, 07:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing is, the Patriots win largely because of Belichick.  The Steelers win largely in spite of Tomlin.  Bob Kraft is going to have Bill's back in any player-coach dispute except probably Brady.  The Rooney's aren't going to have Tomlin's back if he butts heads with Brown.  It would be career suicide.  There's not an owner in the league that's backing Wes Welker over Belichick.  Belichick is the greatest NFL HC of all time.  Tomlin is a glorified Barry Switzer.

When it comes to player discipline in the NFL, the head coach is just middle management.  He can huff and puff all he wants, but he has to have the support of the GM and the owner to blow the house down.  It's not like high school or college.  The only motivation for an NFL player taking discipline from a coach is that they might lose their job if they don't.  If you're a fringe player or aren't living up to your contract, that threat is real.  If you just became the highest paid player at your position and are one of the NFL's poster boys, that threat is completely empty.  I mean, look at the precedent the Steelers have set.  Bell is as much or more of a problem child as Brown and the Steelers are doing everything in their power to hold onto him for as long as possible.  

I think you're wrong about having Tomlins back. The Rooneys are hands off owners, actually to a fault. They're infamous for letting coaches coach and giving them leeway. Again to a fault. One thing for sure is that they keep coaches around too long. I do like that they're not Cleveland, but they keep Noll a few years too long and I think they're keep Tomlin too long as well. He should have been relieved of his duties after last years playoff debacle, especially in light of the embarrassing comments that I posted in the link above. That was such an egregious mistake and really shows you what kind of coach that he is. 
Reply/Quote