Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Chance We Go After A FA LT?
(06-26-2019, 11:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are any other players that were involved in bullygate free agents?

A 29 year old 2nd RD LT is available. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 12:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A 29 year old 2nd RD LT is available. 

I doubt it in 2019.  The new coaches like the new #1 Draft Pick.  He impressed them at LT in practices so far.  They also have the LT from Buffalo Bills who came over in 2018.  I think THAT is what they go into July 27th looking at.  The #1 pick impressed them huge, and I'm an old enough fan that I remember when top pick Munoz impressed coaches.   With a F/A, you are getting somebody nobody else wants at this point, not good qualifications for defending franchise QB blind side.  You also have to build chemistry on O-Line. It's not like MLB All-Star Game. An NFL O Line has to practice the plays together and work as a unit. 

So a 29 year old LT that nobody else wants should be somebody Cincy doesn't want either.  If nobody else wants him, why should we ?   Plus the new coaches very impressed with who they drafted in Round 1 and they are now talking about him at LT, not RT.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Number 1 pick here we come.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 12:52 AM)kevin Wrote: I doubt it in 2019.  The new coaches like the new #1 Draft Pick.  He impressed them at LT in practices so far.  They also have the LT from Buffalo Bills who came over in 2018.  I think THAT is what they go into July 27th looking at.  The #1 pick impressed them huge, and I'm an old enough fan that I remember when top pick Munoz impressed coaches.   With a F/A, you are getting somebody nobody else wants at this point, not good qualifications for defending franchise QB blind side.  You also have to build chemistry on O-Line. It's not like MLB All-Star Game. An NFL O Line has to practice the plays together and work as a unit. 

So a 29 year old LT that nobody else wants should be somebody Cincy doesn't want either.  If nobody else wants him, why should we ?   Plus the new coaches very impressed with who they drafted in Round 1 and they are now talking about him at LT, not RT.  

I guess you haven't heard that that #1 pick at LT is now on the shelf and won't be playing in 2019.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 01:25 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess you haven't heard that that #1 pick at LT is now on the shelf and won't be playing in 2019.

[Image: bird.jpg?w=593]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'd say they have no choice if Boling truly is done, be it for his career or just even just the season. There's no way in hell that they can go into September with Hart, Glenn, and as the brilliant Jim Turner says "John Jerry played 5 games at tackle in his career" as your plan. That's a joke. John Jerry couldn't make a roster last year, and he sure as shit couldn't pass as a NFL OT at this point if he couldn't in his prime. The fact that Turner even said that is pretty discouraging as far as putting faith in this reject staff goes.

My guess would be that they will wait until camp cuts come around and hope something materializes for them. Penn and Parnell are apparently available, and neither are good. That said, Penn in an Eric Winston or Andre Smith-type of role might not be awful.

If they don't add a tackle, you're looking at Bobby Hart at LT if/when Cordy goes down, which he does kind of a lot. Then you get John freaking Jerry at RT, lol. If that's not the worst tackle combination in the league, then I have no idea what is.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 03:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd say they have no choice if Boling truly is done, be it for his career or just even just the season.  There's no way in hell that they can go into September with Hart, Glenn, and as the brilliant Jim Turner says "John Jerry played 5 games at tackle in his career" as your plan.  That's a joke.  John Jerry couldn't make a roster last year, and he sure as shit couldn't pass as a NFL OT at this point if he couldn't in his prime.  The fact that Turner even said that is pretty discouraging as far as putting faith in this reject staff goes.  

My guess would be that they will wait until camp cuts come around and hope something materializes for them.  Penn and Parnell are apparently available, and neither are good.  That said, Penn in an Eric Winston or Andre Smith-type of role might not be awful.  

If they don't add a tackle, you're looking at Bobby Hart at LT if/when Cordy goes down, which he does kind of a lot.  Then you get John freaking Jerry at RT, lol.  If that's not the worst tackle combination in the league, then I have no idea what is.

Relax, we've got Kent Dorfman, err I mean Perkins, Kent Perkins waiting in the wings..   Ninja 

But yeah, they need to be working on a move of some sort, and quickly..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 12:52 AM)kevin Wrote: I doubt it in 2019.  The new coaches like the new #1 Draft Pick.  He impressed them at LT in practices so far.  They also have the LT from Buffalo Bills who came over in 2018.  I think THAT is what they go into July 27th looking at.  The #1 pick impressed them huge, and I'm an old enough fan that I remember when top pick Munoz impressed coaches.   With a F/A, you are getting somebody nobody else wants at this point, not good qualifications for defending franchise QB blind side.  You also have to build chemistry on O-Line. It's not like MLB All-Star Game. An NFL O Line has to practice the plays together and work as a unit. 

You are aware that our 1st Round pick is out for the season, correct?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 06:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With the injury to Williams, is there any chance we go after a LT in free agency?

I haven't done much research, but, on a quick look, it did appear that there were some older free agent left tackles that weren't horrible and were up there in age, meaning they probably wouldn't be looking for long-term deals and could be brought in as a one-year stopgap.

Or will we wait for first cuts or even cuts into summer or up until just before the first game?

I know that we're not normally known for making moves like that, but would Taylor make that kind of move if given the opportunity?

Do you think Turner can make do with what we have?

What's our move?
Simple move.. they signed Glenn last year.. quality tackle.. was hurt last year.. he will be your LT this year... Stay healthy my Friend.. we need you
Reply/Quote

Well he asked was there anyone available from Bullygate and I stated there is a former 2nd RD LT available that was part of Bullygate:

[Image: 4987348100000578-5428331-Ex_Miami_Dolphi...726149.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 09:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he asked was there anyone available from Bullygate and I stated there is a former 2nd RD LT available that was part of Bullygate:

All joking aside, Richie Incognito will likely be cut from the Raiders.
Reply/Quote
It sounds like we're entertaining any and every idea? OK, so just for fun below I've listed the four offensive linemen of the Albany Empire, the team leading the AFL right now with an 8-1 record. I'm sure any of them would be ecstatic to get called up to the NFL.

Name............Height.....Weight..Age...Exp....School

Cave, Ryan..........6'5"....345.......31......8.......Hampton
Love, Damian......6'4".....320.......24......1.......Alabama State
Mudge, Jordan.....6'4".....330.......29......3.......Nevada
Ruffins, Moqut.....6'5".....365.......35......8.......Louisiana Tech

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 09:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he asked was there anyone available from Bullygate and I stated there is a former 2nd RD LT available that was part of Bullygate:

I dont think he's available...Isnt he on trial for taking a gun to a school and threatening people in social media with pictures or something along those lines? Last I heard he was in a mental hospital because he had completely went off the deep end.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 09:37 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We should be on the phone with Donald Penn already. Closest thing out there to a proven capable NFL LT.

Not ideal to be signing a 36 year old LT who seems to be in the process of washing out of the league. But losing our 1st round pick was not ideal to begin with.

Lets take care of the 7 P's. Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Its not a question of if, it is when will Cordy miss games.

Is Boling really done? He was emergency tackle depth.

It is early. Time to do something and address this situation to the best of our abilities. That would be signing the multi time pro bowl OT that is sitting on the market.

Would MUCH rather have Glenn than an overrated Penn.

Easily the most overrated LT in the game the past decade (after Ryan Clady).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This franchise isn't creative enough to fix this problem proactively. If anything, it's a ready-made excuse for failure in 2019.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 09:53 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Here's a list that could be used for potential LT's, granted some are G's and would have to make a conversion so I doubt they're in consideration. I'm meh on most of it.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/gallery/jonah-williams-season-ending-injury-free-agents-trades-bengals/

I would think Trent Williams would be the best move we could do, as long as the contract issue remains a problem with him and Washington.
give him a new 3 year high $$ contract and move Jonah to right tackle for next year with the thought that when Williams contract is up, that Jonah moves back to LT, that would give us time to draft and train a new RT for that move.

Maybe offer John Ross and give up a later round draft pick since they were the worst in the league last year as a deep threat. That would be a way for a win-win for both teams.
Reply/Quote
Here's a list of available free agents.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/13/18262627/nfl-free-agents-2019-best-available-new-league-year

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 07:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sure the Bills or the Giants have someone on their OLs they want to get rid of. Why does the front office keep signing rejects from bottom feeder teams and expect to be anything but a sub-bottom feeder?

because thats what this team is owned by. SUB BOTTOM BROWN!!!

Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin should have added another FA OT
before they even drafted Williams.
Tobin whiffed on 2 OT a couple drafts back.
they acquired Glenn but hes not been exactly a picture of health.
so now 3 OTs you've. drafted in the past 5 years
will not be on the field for the Bengals,in 2019.
go get Trent Williams.
its not rocket science
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 11:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are any other players that were involved in bullygate free agents?

just the one that cried himself out the league
Reply/Quote