Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Good FA Centers?
Are there any free agent centers that would be worthwhile to bring in?

Bodine looks like shit and we can't do anything up front if our center is getting blown up every play.

Andre Smith coming back at tackle should help the line as a whole, but I think we need something better at center or our team isn't going anywhere.

With Dalton blowing up on him, Dalton obviously doesn't trust him and I'm sure that it disheartens the entire offense, so why haven't the coaches looked elsewhere? Do they think it's just a funk that he'll snap out of? Do they know something that we don't? Is he sick? Is he hurt?

I'm freaking out because our season will go down the drain if our offensive line plays like it did against the Bucs.

Am I the only one wigging out? Am I overreacting?
Reply/Quote
Dalton was blowing Dalton?
You REALLY need some time off the boards, Brad...

Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
See what T.J. does against first stringers a little, probably nothing better but worth a look.
Reply/Quote
AD shouting at him may not be a trust or like issue, it may just be Dalton's overall frustration with the team getting it's stuff together. I wouldn't read too much into it.

To the OP, nope. Not much in FA.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dalton was blowing Dalton?
You REALLY need some time off the boards, Brad...

Ninja

Um.....  I can't tell if you're joking or just trolling because I could have used "he" for the second Dalton, but I obviously meant "Dalton was blowing up on him, he (Dalton) obviously doesn't trust him........"

Ninja

Or maybe you just misread it because I never said "blowing him," unless you were making a joke.........  I'm so confused.
Reply/Quote
Lol it was indeed a horrid joke :p
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Lol it was indeed a horrid joke :p

lol  Rock on  ThumbsUp

(I didn't think you'd be trolling, please don't think that I thought that, but the joke was pretty bad!)
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are there any free agent centers that would be worthwhile to bring in?

Bodine looks like shit and we can't do anything up front if our center is getting blown up every play.

Andre Smith coming back at tackle should help the line as a whole, but I think we need something better at center or our team isn't going anywhere.

With Dalton blowing up on him, Dalton obviously doesn't trust him and I'm sure that it disheartens the entire offense, so why haven't the coaches looked elsewhere? Do they think it's just a funk that he'll snap out of? Do they know something that we don't? Is he sick? Is he hurt?

I'm freaking out because our season will go down the drain if our offensive line plays like it did against the Bucs.

Am I the only one wigging out? Am I overreacting?

They've given reps to Boling at centerin the past, maybe they revisit this and slide Hopkins in at guard. This team is supposed to be trying to win a ring so no matter how much you want Bodine to succeed you need a solid backup option even in case of injury.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With Dalton blowing up on him, Dalton obviously doesn't trust him and I'm sure that it disheartens the entire offense, so why haven't the coaches looked elsewhere?  Do they think it's just a funk that he'll snap out of?  Do they know something that we don't?  Is he sick?  Is he hurt?

To be fair, the entire offense might feel the same way about having Andy Dalton as their QB. With either player, they'll say all the right things in public, but it absolutely does affect team morale to constantly be having the same problems over and over again (from a leadership perspective, which is why you can't dismiss the idea out of hand like some people do). There's an "Oh, here we go again..." feeling that trickles down, and like everything else, it starts with the QB.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:03 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: To be fair, the entire offense might feel the same way about having Andy Dalton as their QB. With either player, they'll say all the right things in public, but it absolutely does affect team morale to constantly be having the same problems over and over again (from a leadership perspective, which is why you can't dismiss the idea out of hand like some people do). There's an "Oh, here we go again..." feeling that trickles down, and like everything else, it starts with the QB.

That would make sense if the player in question was somewhat good to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:03 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: To be fair, the entire offense might feel the same way about having Andy Dalton as their QB. With either player, they'll say all the right things in public, but it absolutely does affect team morale to constantly be having the same problems over and over again (from a leadership perspective, which is why you can't dismiss the idea out of hand like some people do). There's an "Oh, here we go again..." feeling that trickles down, and like everything else, it starts with the QB.

If the team felt this way you would undoubtedly see the W/L record go down as it has with several other teams with QB issues.  The fact that this team has won more than most over the past four seasons (despite the alleged QB issue the Bengals have - alleged because it lives in fantasy more than reality), makes your premise flawed at best but, more than likely, it is just baseless trash.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:28 PM)Benton Wrote: AD shouting at him may not be a trust or like issue, it may just be Dalton's overall frustration with the team getting it's stuff together. I wouldn't read too much into it.

To the OP, nope. Not much in FA.

I know we had Winston in @ LG for a bit.... is there a chance that dude could play center?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are there any free agent centers that would be worthwhile to bring in?

With Dalton blowing up on him, Dalton obviously doesn't trust him and I'm sure that it disheartens the entire offense, so why haven't the coaches looked elsewhere?  Do they think it's just a funk that he'll snap out of?  Do they know something that we don't?  Is he sick?  Is he hurt?

Am I the only one wigging out?  Am I overreacting?
Yes. 100% yes, as usual.

It's the preseason. No one on the entire team looked good on Monday. He looked awful last camp and preseason with snapping issues, but they didn't really manifest into the regular season. I don't think he is that great by any means, but our line is fine and I highly doubt some guy can come off the street this late into the offseason and do any better for the year.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bring back Rich Braham!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals can't give up on Bodine. They gave up way too much to trade up and get him.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 06:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Bengals can't give up on Bodine.  They gave up way too much to trade up and get him.

In reality, no they didn't but in their minds they probably did. 
Reply/Quote
I'd say they are committed to Bodine at least for now, which makes me think looking to sign someone is probably not something that's on the table. Maybe backup help, nothing more than that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 06:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: In reality, no they didn't but in their minds they probably did. 

Yeah, complete sarcasm on my end.  Everytime I read an article about Bodine they talk about how the Bengals thought he was the best Center in the draft and they moved up to get him - like it's this huge excuse to not replace him.

He was a frickin 4th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I know we had Winston in @ LG for a bit.... is there a chance that dude could play center?

Would his center of gravity be too high?  Centers tend to be shorter, don't they?  I'm just guessing.  Maybe blocking is blocking and a good blocker can play anywhere on the line.  Isn't it usually G's who get moved to C?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 06:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, complete sarcasm on my end.  Everytime I read an article about Bodine they talk about how the Bengals thought he was the best Center in the draft and they moved up to get him - like it's this huge excuse to not replace him.

He was a frickin 4th round pick.

It was such an obvious panic move when centers started to go off the board. 
Reply/Quote