Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas On How To Keep My Place Warm?
A lot of people know that my brother built an apartment off the side of his house for me and now my sister and brother-in-law live there with their kids, but it's FREEZING in my place!

My brother-in-law said the heat on their side is at 70, but, other than no wind, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between my place and outside. The weather app says it's 39 and feels like 37.

The insulation in here is horrible.

I have a space heater and heated blanket and I'm still freezing at night.

Right now, I'm in winter socks, sweats, and a wool jacket and I'm pretty damn cold.

Anyone know any tricks to help keep my place warm?
Reply/Quote
[Image: e27b3100804164f206241e5d4e5dbe4d.jpg]

Sorry, Brad, couldn't help myself  Tongue  

Sadly, I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest, but we have some folks here who are and they'll no doubt be able to help.   Good luck.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 06:48 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: [Image: e27b3100804164f206241e5d4e5dbe4d.jpg]

Sorry, Brad, couldn't help myself  Tongue  

Sadly, I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest, but we have some folks here who are and they'll no doubt be able to help.   Good luck.

I don't have an oven!

Rant

I like your style ThumbsUp

My brother-in-law did find two vents that were covered, so he uncovered those and that helped, but then like I'm sitting here watching football in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and I'm freezing.

I wanted to roll down the Tavern to watch the games because it's so cold in here but it's too even get ready.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 05:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: A lot of people know that my brother built an apartment off the side of his house for me and now my sister and brother-in-law live there with their kids, but it's FREEZING in my place!

My brother-in-law said the heat on their side is at 70, but, other than no wind, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between my place and outside. The weather app says it's 39 and feels like 37.

The insulation in here is horrible.

I have a space heater and heated blanket and I'm still freezing at night.

Right now, I'm in winter socks, sweats, and a wool jacket and I'm pretty damn cold.

Anyone know any tricks to help keep my place warm?

Check the insulation (calking) around the windows.  Make sure there are no leaks.  

In college we'd cover the windows with thick opaque plastic due to the single pane window leaking into the apartment.  You know - the mafia murder plastic that comes in a big roll.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thermal weight base layers are a godsend for clothes.

I'd echo the plastic for windows.
Reply/Quote
Plastic Wrap on the windows will help(they sell at walmart).. Also if there is space under or around the door something to block that will help. (can get do it yourself things for cheap)

Outside of that Blankets....
Reply/Quote
I would ask him if he bothered to insulate the duct work for said heating. If not, it's likely just blowing in cold air..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like I said, my brother-in-law and sister always said my place was warm when they came over, but I was freezing.

I'd be watching TV in my kitchen/living room and be bundled up in long underwear tops and bottoms, sweatshirt, a jacket, gloves, gloves, and a winter hat and I'd still be freezing.

My sister came over today and found out my window has been slightly cracked for who knows how long, so that's why it was always cold.

Here's to warm days and nights!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 10:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I said, my brother-in-law and sister always said my place was warm when they came over, but I was freezing.

I'd be watching TV in my kitchen/living room and be bundled up in long underwear tops and bottoms, sweatshirt, a jacket, gloves, gloves, and a winter hat and I'd still be freezing.

My sister came over today and found out my window has been slightly cracked for who knows how long, so that's why it was always cold.

Here's to warm days and nights!

And likely some lower utility costs?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 09:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And likely some lower utility costs?

Not really because they would kept it their side and just would say that they're warm, so I should be too.
Reply/Quote