Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any draft trade back scenarios you would like?
I do not pay attention to details regarding the cap situation but if the Bengals trade back into the second round does that slightly help them manage player salaries if they never have to pay a '23 first round pick? Since they have to sign, or try to sign, Burrow, Chase, Tee, and other talented players the dollars will be tight.

Does trading back save a buck? If yes and trading back is a good option, what should the Bengals expect to get in return?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 10:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I do not pay attention to details regarding the cap situation but if the Bengals trade back into the second round does that slightly help them manage player salaries if they never have to pay a '23 first round pick? Since they have to sign, or try to sign, Burrow, Chase, Tee, and other talented players the dollars will be tight.

Does trading back save a buck? If yes and trading back is a good option, what should the Bengals expect to get in return?

In short term, yes. Any lower pick saves money. But you will pay for it long term if the player turns out how you hope. Say we draft a RT and they turn into Wirfs (extreme example). You get that one extra year of cost control. Say the OT market goes to 25M a year, the 5th year means you get him for another year at like 15M (by that point, and based on incentives). Its why Higgins and Wilson's cap increases will likely be felt before Burrow's (that extra year of cost control)
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 10:52 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: In short term, yes. Any lower pick saves money. But you will pay for it long term if the player turns out how you hope. Say we draft a RT and they turn into Wirfs (extreme example). You get that one extra year of cost control. Say the OT market goes to 25M a year, the 5th year means you get him for another year at like 15M (by that point, and based on incentives). Its why Higgins and Wilson's cap increases will likely be felt before Burrow's (that extra year of cost control)

I speculate then we shouldn't be shocked if a trade back happens. Heck, it might even be a good idea if it can net some additional picks to fill holes on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Being our pick is at the end of round one, I've seen some say... keep it.. because that 5th year is important. However the other side of the argument is, the pick could be valuable to teams trading there for that 5th year also. It could conceivably net more than the usual trade point chart values. If the player we want isn't there anymore I'd certainly listen to offers.
Reply/Quote
My dream trade back scenario is having New Orleans move up one spot to secure tanner McKee. He may move higher up the board after the combine but who knows. The saints offer 29 and either 115, 146 or 165. 165 being the closest to fair based on the trade value chart.

The saints, as usual are in a cap mess. They’ve already restructured ramcyck with more to follow. They will need to create room to sign all their picks. We still get the guy we want with the 5th year option and gain a pick.

The colts at 35, rams at 36, Seattle at 37, raiders at 38 and panthers at 39 would all be trade up possibilities depending on what they do at qb prior to the draft or in rd 1. Hence the saints move to get their guy before one these teams swoop in front of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
If picking so late in the 1st round, I'm almost always ok with trading back to the early 30's if it means picking up an extra Rd 2 or Rd 3 pick (or multiple).
Bengals really need some upgrades on depth and the early-mid rounds are a great way to do it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think trading up is more likely than trading back.

Depending on how FA plays out, I could see us valueing quality over quantity in terms of picks. We MAY not really have that many holes, and freaking fixing theones we do have may be more of a priority. We traded up twice last year. Though not in the first.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 05:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think trading up is more likely than trading back.

Depending on how FA plays out, I could see us valueing quality over quantity in terms of picks. We MAY not really have that many holes, and freaking fixing theones we do have may be more of a priority. We traded up twice last year. Though not in the first.

I would say our starters (minus RT and TE) are pretty much solid. I could see us trading back actually to accrue picks to improve our depth in a big way with rookie salaries.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:02 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I would say our starters (minus RT and TE) are pretty much solid. I could see us trading back actually to accrue picks to improve our depth in a big way with rookie salaries.

Fair. I think LT is also a problem in need of a solution. But we can probably muddle through with Jonah & Carman for another year. 

Trading up for a LT would be costly, and we'd need to be top 15. Next year, with a deeper OT class, we would not have to move up as much to get a guy who can play. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 09:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Fair. I think LT is also a problem in need of a solution. But we can probably muddle through with Jonah & Carman for another year. 

Trading up for a LT would be costly, and we'd need to be top 15. Next year, with a deeper OT class, we would not have to move up as much to get a guy who can play. 

We either replace Jonah this year or next as he only has one more year on his contract.  Waiting until next year to address the LT position is probably going to cost more because salaries keep rising every year.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 12:38 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We either replace Jonah this year or next as he only has one more year on his contract.  Waiting until next year to address the LT position is probably going to cost more because salaries keep rising every year.

Why is replacing Jonah this year even an option?

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 12:10 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: My dream trade back scenario is having New Orleans move up one spot to secure tanner McKee.  He may move higher up the board after the combine but who knows.  The saints offer 29 and either 115, 146 or 165.  165 being the closest to fair based on the trade value chart.  

The saints, as usual are in a cap mess.  They’ve already restructured ramcyck with more to follow.  They will need to create room to sign all their picks.  We still get the guy we want with the 5th year option and gain a pick.  

The colts at 35, rams at 36, Seattle at 37, raiders at 38 and panthers at 39 would all be trade up possibilities depending on what they do at qb prior to the draft or in rd 1.  Hence the saints move to get their guy before one these teams swoop in front of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of things:

Why in the world would the Saints trade up to get McKee?  They know we are not taking him... that makes zero sense to me, I'll need help trying to figure out this strategy.

Moving up one spot late in the 1st Round doesnt even qualify for pick 165, much less 115 or 146.

Like you said, the Saints are in cap hell, thus they need MORE draft picks, not less.

This sounds more like an acid trip than a dream.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 08:22 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why is replacing Jonah this year even an option?

Because he is a liability at LT and we need someone better protecting Burrow's blind side.  We can either replace Jonah this year or next as he will be a free agent after this season anyway.  I would rather put that 12.6 million toward locking up legit LT for 4 or 5 years now instead of wasting it on Jonah and then having to turn around and worry about getting a good LT again next year when Jonah is a free agent.  Fix the problem now instead of letting it go on for another year when we will all be back on here talking about what are we going to do about the LT position.  Why push that off another year?  I dont see why some people think replacing Jonah isnt an option this year.  The only reason would be if we just couldnt find anyone that wanted to trade for him.
Reply/Quote
Actually the opposite. What if we traded tee higgins if we cant keep him, one of our edge players and our first with chicago and take Will Anderson. He is the best player and will kill Patricia Mahomes!

https://www.draftdive.com/will-anderson-jr-scouting-report/
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 12:12 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Because he is a liability at LT and we need someone better protecting Burrow's blind side.  We can either replace Jonah this year or next as he will be a free agent after this season anyway.  I would rather put that 12.6 million toward locking up legit LT for 4 or 5 years now instead of wasting it on Jonah and then having to turn around and worry about getting a good LT again next year when Jonah is a free agent.  Fix the problem now instead of letting it go on for another year when we will all be back on here talking about what are we going to do about the LT position.  Why push that off another year?  I dont see why some people think replacing Jonah isnt an option this year.  The only reason would be if we just couldnt find anyone that wanted to trade for him.

"I would rather put that 12.6 million toward locking up legit LT for 4 or 5 years now instead of wasting it on Jonah"

Really?  Well, none of us want to pay him that amount, but the thing is, 5th year extensions are guaranteed so WTH are you talking about?

How does this make any sense?  Jonah is getting 12.6M whether he plays or not, there is NO OPTION  to "put that 12.6 million toward locking up legit LT"... it is all going to Jonah.

Seriously, what are you saying?  You just made a Mr. Obvious comment to me saying the same I'm saying to you?

"The only reason would be if we just couldnt find anyone that wanted to trade for him."  No team is that stupid.

Jonah is starting LT this year.  He isnt going anywhere.  RT is the #1 concern.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 11:09 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I speculate then we shouldn't be shocked if a trade back happens. Heck, it might even be a good idea if it can net some additional picks to fill holes on the roster.

If the team felt confident that they could move back a few positions and still get a guy they were targeting then it would provide even more value in the selection of that player and as well would allow them to add another selection or two in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 12:38 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We either replace Jonah this year or next as he only has one more year on his contract.  Waiting until next year to address the LT position is probably going to cost more because salaries keep rising every year.

The draft will be rookie scale. We are not signing a top tier LT in FA. This year ir next. 

Jonah is on the team next year. He and Carman will likely battle for LT. Though if Carman wins it, Jonah could play RT while Collins is on the mend. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 01:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The draft will be rookie scale. We are not signing a top tier LT in FA. This year ir next. 

Jonah is on the team next year. He and Carman will likely battle for LT. Though if Carman wins it, Jonah could play RT while Collins is on the mend. 

I don’t think this scenario is being discussed much but I’ve been wondering if the team might go this route as well. Having Carman start at LT and moving Jonah to RT. Then they can reassess when Collins is healthy.
Reply/Quote
I traded back in a mock and liked the look of it:

39. Dawand Jones, RT, OSU.
60. Steve Avilia, OG/C, TCU
61. Tucker Kraft, TE, SDSU
92. DJ Turner, CB, Michigan
114. Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn State
131. Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton
165. Iasuah McGuire EDGE, Missouri
206. Davis Allen, TE, Clemson
248. Michael Turk, P, Oklahoma

Fixed the OL with a RT and IOL. Avila can play right away. Jones may have to wait a bit. Move Jonah to RT while Collins heals up.

Got 2 TEs. CB & S help. An EDGE. Plus upgraded the punter.
Reply/Quote