Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any explanations yet?
Any plausible explanations yet for why Mixon and WJ3 aren't playing more? Mixon has shown time and again, he's the best running back we have. And WJ3 just showed us he can cover Brown pretty well. Why are these 2 young guys (or others you might think of) not playing more or even starting?

Or are they playing a lot and I'm just not seeing it?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
At this point? So Mixon doesn't die behind this o Line.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 03:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Any plausible explanations yet for why Mixon and WJ3 aren't playing more? Mixon has shown time and again, he's the best running back we have. And WJ3 just showed us he can cover Brown pretty well. Why are these 2 young guys (or others you might think of) not playing more or even starting?

Or are they playing a lot and I'm just not seeing it?

I would say part of Mixon not playing more is his 3.2 YPC average, while Gio is a 4.3 YPC. Gio also averages aver twice as many yards per reception.

As to WJIII, they are playing Dennard over him.

Yesterday was a "breakout game" for WJIII and Mixon, so we may see more going forward.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gio is a much better blocker than Mixon. That is why. As to Radio, I think he will be great, but like all rookies he's flashing greatness and making boneheaded mistakes in the same game.
Reply/Quote
Strange how Gio's YPC has dropped from 4.9 to 4.3 over the last couple weeks.

I could swear someone on here said that Gio's YPC would come down to earth the more carries he gets.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would say part of Mixon not playing more is his 3.2 YPC average, while Gio is a 4.3 YPC. Gio also averages aver twice as many yards per reception.

As to WJIII, they are playing Dennard over him.

Yesterday was a "breakout game" for WJIII and Mixon, so we may see more going forward.

A breakout game so astoundingly amazing that Mixon didn't even get a carry in the second half  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Gio is a much better blocker than Mixon. That is why. As to Radio, I think he will be great, but like all rookies he's flashing greatness and making boneheaded mistakes in the same game.

Agreed, and when you decide to chuck it, with this line, you need all the help you can get blocking.

As for Radio.....you're going to have that with rookie CBs, this is why folks were upset that they left him on IR and brought back The Running Reverand in a lost season.  It would have been better for WJIII to get his growing pains going last season.  As it stands now, let the kid play and learn.  I think he'll be a good one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:27 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: A breakout game so astoundingly amazing that Mixon didn't even get a carry in the second half  Whatever

I think I read somewhere that was the QBs fault. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would say part of Mixon not playing more is his 3.2 YPC average, while Gio is a 4.3 YPC. Gio also averages aver twice as many yards per reception.

(10-23-2017, 04:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Gio is a much better blocker than Mixon. That is why. As to Radio, I think he will be great, but like all rookies he's flashing greatness and making boneheaded mistakes in the same game.

Great. Then why is Gio not starting?  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Because they drafted Mixon and have no clue what to do with him.
Mixon ran 0 times from under center in college.
He should never be asked to run from under center in the pros.

Why the hell are we so set on trying to change players to fit our mold instead of just drafting players that fit?
It's stupid. It hurts players. It kills the offense.

This was a problem under Gruden.
This was a problem under Hue.
This was a problem under Zampese.
This is a problem under Lazor.
Maybe it's not always the OC....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because they drafted Mixon and have no clue what to do with him.

Why the hell are we so set on trying to change players to fit our mold instead of just drafting players that fit?

.....or once we draft these guys, why don't we adjust philosophy to match their strengths?

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....or once we draft these guys, why don't we adjust philosophy to match their strengths?

Because Marvin is bad at his job tbh. 

Why did we run Gio under center so much early on?
Why are we still giving Michael Johnson DE reps? 
Why didn't we just move Hunt to DT? 
Why did we ask Eifert to be an inline TE? 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Great. Then why is Gio not starting?  Whatever

Gio is on pace for the fewest touches of his career...by far.

2013: 226
2014: 211 (in 13 games)
2015: 203
2016: 130 (in 10 games)
2017: 91 (full 16 games)

He's really been phased out of the offense. Even in the passing game, he's only on pace for 29 catches this year after averaging 54 for every 16 games played prior to this season.

Keep in mind, we're talking about the 11th best paid RB in the NFL.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Great. Then why is Gio not starting?  Whatever

Personally, I think it is because Lewis is afraid if he doesn't start Hill, he will throw a hissy fit, and he knows Gio is more of a team player. But yes, Gio should be starting with Mixon and Hill should be gone.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gio is on pace for the fewest touches of his career...by far.

2013: 226
2014: 211 (in 13 games)
2015: 203
2016: 130 (in 10 games)
2017: 91 (full 16 games)

He's really been phased out of the offense. Even in the passing game, he's only on pace for 29 catches this year after averaging 54 for every 16 games played prior to this season.

Keep in mind, we're talking about the 11th best paid RB in the NFL.

yeah the play calling has gotten a little better but the personel packages are still baffling at some points.

For WJIII   I would say Kirk and Jones are trusted more on D     And they are given snaps to Dennard (  we need to know if the 5th year option will be worth keeping)  And Dennard has been playing okay for the most part.

Gio should be used more especially in the passing game.      Hill should be traded.     We don't have enough touches for 2 backs let alone 3.   

Bottom line they Turtled in the Second half... and the Steelers DL owned our OL which severly impacted everything.  We got down by 6 and either forgot to run the ball or how to run the ball.. I thought the run game was working in the 1st half for the most part.. Steelers adjusted we either didn't or did so poorly. 
Reply/Quote
Why do we care if Hill throws a hissy fit? :)
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because they drafted Mixon and have no clue what to do with him.

Couldn't agree more. I've said this many times myself. We draft guys who are good at one thing, but then try to force them to do another thing because???

We draft receiving tight ends, but our tight ends have to be blockers (though we keep several other tight ends that could be used to block). We turn tight ends into full backs, but then phase full backs out of our offensive scheme after giving them extensions. We draft 3-4 defensive ends when we run a 4-3 base. We talk about needing our linebackers to be able to cover, but draft slow run thumpers. I'll stop there, we all know the story.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 06:38 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Why do we care if Hill throws a hissy fit? :)

I sure as shit don't.  This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed.  Fuggin 2 yard Jeremy starting....wtf for?  He should be a reserve.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: I sure as shit don't.  This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed.  Fuggin 2 yard Jeremy starting....wtf for?  He should be a reserve.

So Mixon can watch and learn. 
No really. That's what Marvin Lewis said. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: So Mixon can watch and learn. 
No really. That's what Marvin Lewis said. 

Oh....I know!  I'd LOVE to wake up tomorrow and see the whole staff shitcanned just because....pipe dream, I know.

Reply/Quote