Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any good 2nd round Wrs this year?
(01-18-2021, 01:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will add Anthony Schwartz from Auburn.  I think he is a better hands catcher than Toney from FL and has speed to burn as well.  If he didn't play for that pathetic HS offense under Malzaan, he would probably be targeted Day 2.  For some reason, there is a lot more hype around Toney, but watching them both a LOT, I like Schwartz better.

Even if the Bengals end up with Chase out of Rd 1, I still want a speedster like Schwartz in Rd 4.  Depth of talent at WR.  Need more than one speed merchant and Schwartz would be a rotational nightmare.  I love the idea of having a WR corps that looks like this:

Chase
Higgings
Boyd
Schwartz
Tate
Erickson

Plus, I can yell "May the Schwartz be with you" whenever he catches a pass.  Stupid, I know.  

My rationalization might be flawed but I stay away from any WR
From Auburn U. That school.just doesnt produce NFL quality WRs.I go way  back to Lawyer Tillman drafted by the Browns
Decades ago. Recently Ricardo Louis drafted by the Browns
He has done nothing at the NFL level.
Some schools just have a really good track record at cultivating
Talent at certain positions. 
Goes back decades.....USC RBs.....Penn St...RBs LBers
Tennessee. WRs and DBs.....Ohio St..WRs...RBs
Florida WRs....Auburn RBs...LBers....Clemson WRs...

Schwartz might be that guy that proves wrong.
I think Toney is more electric and is better making guys,
Miss in open field
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 01:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will add Anthony Schwartz from Auburn.  I think he is a better hands catcher than Toney from FL and has speed to burn as well.  If he didn't play for that pathetic HS offense under Malzaan, he would probably be targeted Day 2.  For some reason, there is a lot more hype around Toney, but watching them both a LOT, I like Schwartz better.

Even if the Bengals end up with Chase out of Rd 1, I still want a speedster like Schwartz in Rd 4.  Depth of talent at WR.  Need more than one speed merchant and Schwartz would be a rotational nightmare.  I love the idea of having a WR corps that looks like this:

Chase
Higgings
Boyd
Schwartz
Tate
Erickson

Plus, I can yell "May the Schwartz be with you" whenever he catches a pass.  Stupid, I know.  

Yeah but if they pick Toney you can yell "Toney, Toney, Toney has done it again!!!" so...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Chris Olave has announced he is returning for his senior season.

https://twitter.com/chrisolave_/status/1351292550699618310/photo/1
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 09:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Chris Olave has announced he is returning for his senior season.

https://twitter.com/chrisolave_/status/1351292550699618310/photo/1

Trying to up his stock into the first round?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 09:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Trying to up his stock into the first round?

That is my guess. I have also seen some people saying that he really took the NC hard and wants to win a ring. Probably a combination, but I would lean more towards upping his draft stock. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 09:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Trying to up his stock into the first round?

(01-18-2021, 09:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That is my guess. I have also seen some people saying that he really took the NC hard and wants to win a ring. Probably a combination, but I would lean more towards upping his draft stock. 

One of my buddies actually knows him and he’s just a down to earth loyal guy who just wants to get his scholarship and help his team win. Plus he’s pretty maxed out in terms of where he can go. He’s not a top 15 pick type of wr. He’s gonna be a damn good wr2 for the next decade but he’ll go end of 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 11:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: One of my buddies actually knows him and he’s just a down to earth loyal guy who just wants to get his scholarship and help his team win. Plus he’s pretty maxed out in terms of where he can go. He’s not a top 15 pick type of wr. He’s gonna be a damn good wr2 for the next decade but he’ll go end of 1.

I know the talent drops off round by round but I cant help but wonder if I guy like Marquez Stevenson WR Houston had played for Alabama if he would be thought of as highly as some of the top receivers. He is 6' - 190 lbs and runs a 4.4 - 40 yard dash. Catches with his hands and if he gets space he is gone.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: My rationalization might be flawed but I stay away from any WR
From Auburn U. That school.just doesnt produce NFL quality WRs.I go way  back to Lawyer Tillman drafted by the Browns
Decades ago. Recently Ricardo Louis drafted by the Browns
He has done nothing at the NFL level.
Some schools just have a really good track record at cultivating
Talent at certain positions. 
Goes back decades.....USC RBs.....Penn St...RBs LBers
Tennessee. WRs and DBs.....Ohio St..WRs...RBs
Florida WRs....Auburn RBs...LBers....Clemson WRs...

Schwartz might be that guy that proves wrong.
I think Toney is more electric and is better making guys,
Miss in open field

I like Schwarz because he will possibly be available at the top of Rd 4.  He has more speed than Devonta Smith and because he comes from that joke system at Auburn and had poor QB play he might be available then.  He also is a good fit because he isn't like every other WR we have as he has a unique skill set.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, a lot will be determined by FA, but I could see them adding 1 FA on the offensive line, and signing Lawson, WJIII, and Alexander would send them to the draft with absolute needs at WR, DT, and the offensive line position that wasn't addressed in FA.  They can (and should surely) double down on FA.  

I think DE is also still an absolute need, but could wait as late as Rd 4. I don't trust having just Lawson and Hubbard. Not good enough.
I also think they need 3 new OL starters, not just two. Both OG spots and RT. None were good pass protecting this year. So another OL should be drafted no later than Rd 3 IMO unless the Bengals get another good starter in FA.

I'd be ok with re-signing Spain and letting him battle it out with XSF for one OG spot while signing a stud OG for the other spot, and then drafting a Bobby Hart replacement.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think DE is also still an absolute need, but could wait as late as Rd 4. I don't trust having just Lawson and Hubbard. Not good enough.
I also think they need 3 new OL starters, not just two. Both OG spots and RT. None were good pass protecting this year. So another OL should be drafted no later than Rd 3 IMO unless the Bengals get another good starter in FA.

I'd be ok with re-signing Spain and letting him battle it out with XSF for one OG spot while signing a stud OG for the other spot, and then drafting a Bobby Hart replacement.

I would say 4 tbh
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 09:41 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I liked Van Jefferson’s route running better than any wideout coming out last year. He was a 3rd stringer this year for the Rams—but with Kupp injured he looked like a vet today the way he runs routes and gets open. Tee Higgens was a 2nd rounder as well. Chase Claypool. In other years Antonio Brown ended up being the best wideout in his draft. Chad Johnson, etc.

Seems like the 2020 2nd round wide receivers have been as good as the 1st round selections. Granted, that doesn’t mean the same will be the case this year. The top couple wide receivers look better than the top couple last year. But historically, there are a lot of great 2nd round picks at wideout.

If we could trade down to around pick 10 and pick the best edge player, olineman, or defensive player—and pick up a 2nd round pick... we could make out pretty damn good. Might not look like a great move if we pass on Chase, but maybe he’s gone along with Smith. Someone will want to trade up for a QB. If we end up with a pick around 10 and two 2nd rounders that would be pretty good. Potentially grab a promising lineman or edge player with our 1st pick, and be set up with great draft position in the 2nd round. It’s harder to get edge rushers with elite potential in the mid rounds—which is our biggest need on defense IMO.

That said, it’s hard to pass on Chase. But we could very well see Chase, Smith, and Sewell gone before pick 5. If the Jets go with Sewell over Smith, we’ll likely get Chase falling to us though. I would think Saleh would prefer to draft lineman vs skill players based on his background as well (seems like a build through the trenches type based on the 9ers strategy).

I would also like to add that if Chase is there, why not just pick him? If he isn’t though, fans should still be happy—especially if we work a trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

So I guess I’m proposing a few questions:

Which strategy would improve our team the most—trading down a few spots and then having two 2nd rounders, or picking Chase if he’s there?

Are there any promising 2nd round receivers?

Do we need to invest a high pick at receiver, already having 2 good receivers? Would it be a luxury pick? I agree with BPA strategy, but could we realistically resign Chase, Boyd, and Higgens?

I believe our biggest weaknesses are the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’d be perfectly happy focusing mainly on these areas, provided it’s the right player and a definite BPA pick. Trading down would ensure we are in good draft position to pick BPA at a position of need with our 1st pick, and would give us great draft position in the 2nd round.

You answered it all at the end.  The Bengals are WEAK in the trenches.  They need Blocking and Tackling. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote