Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas for OC or DC
Is the only real name even still available that is linked with the Bengals available still Darrell Bevell? It seems we are all just waiting and hoping that when Taylor is announced that there is a solid plan in place. I think ultimately if Taylor is the right hire long term that waiting a few weeks won't matter but it does have me a little nervous that many of the veteran names for these spots we have thought of are already locked up elsewhere now. Just wanted to get some suggestions for who is still out there from everyone.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I imagine Taylor already has some folks lined up, but who knows? The FO probably wouldn't release staff (and still have to pay them) unless they already had some people in mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:30 AM)treee Wrote: I imagine Taylor already has some folks lined up, but who knows? The FO probably wouldn't release staff (and still have to pay them) unless they already had some people in mind.

That's what I'm hoping for as well.  I would guess Taylor/Bengals already have contacted and reached verbal agreements with offensive and defensive coordinators.  Bengals just waiting to announce them until they officially hire Taylor.  NFL really needs to get rid of this rule....everybody knows Bengals hiring Taylor, so just let them announce it and get on with it.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:30 AM)treee Wrote: I imagine Taylor already has some folks lined up, but who knows? The FO probably wouldn't release staff (and still have to pay them) unless they already had some people in mind.

I am hoping for the same thing and like the fact they are letting him bring in his own guys for the most part (still wish Pollack stayed). However, I do find it odd that there really isn't very many names floated around at all right now. My biggest fear is that after what happened in Indy where guys were hired for the head coach in waiting and then he backed out of the job if that is part of the hold up on information.
Reply/Quote
I'm calling it right here right now...… the new OC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Shane Waldron. The new DC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Robert Livingston (hence, the reason both Secondary coaches were retained)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm calling it right here right now...… the new OC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Shane Waldron. The new DC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Robert Livingston (hence, the reason both Secondary coaches were retained)

To say these moves would be bold and make me nervous would be gigantic understatements.

If that’s the case, I really hope Taylor knows what he’s doing.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm calling it right here right now...… the new OC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Shane Waldron. The new DC for the Cincinnati Bengals is Robert Livingston (hence, the reason both Secondary coaches were retained)

This is a #hottake. I wouldn't mind Shane that much, but Livingston would be a big head scratcher. I would think he would want a seasoned guy running his D since he's an offensive guy.   
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:03 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: This is a #hottake. I wouldn't mind Shane that much, but Livingston would be a big head scratcher. I would think he would want a seasoned guy running his D since he's an offensive guy.   

Maybe, but he's an up and comer himself, so he may want to go with young guys..... plus, he may not want old heads who have been HC's before coming in and trying to run things their way....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:03 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: This is a #hottake. I wouldn't mind Shane that much, but Livingston would be a big head scratcher. I would think he would want a seasoned guy running his D since he's an offensive guy.   

(01-17-2019, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe, but he's an up and comer himself, so he may want to go with young guys..... plus, he may not want old heads who have been HC's before coming in and trying to run things their way....

Yeah the Waldron thing makes sense. They went out there and interviewed them both but it never seemed Waldron was a legitimate head coaching candidate. If they really did have Taylor targeted well before the season ended then maybe they had an idea that Waldron was going to be Taylor’s guy. So when they went out there the thought was to kill two birds with one stone, grabbing a HC and OC in one trip. So if this is Taylor’s guy, I can get behind that.

As for Livingston, that concerns me a little. I really think having at least one coordinator with a lot of experience would be invaluable to Zac in his early years as HC. Sean Mcvay saw the need and importance in it and it has clearly worked. So why not at least partially copy that template?

If it happen this way I’ll be skeptical of the Livingston hire.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe, but he's an up and comer himself, so he may want to go with young guys..... plus, he may not want old heads who have been HC's before coming in and trying to run things their way....

It's a tough line to walk, for sure. You usually want a "weathered" guy to be your to lean on for past experiences. Conflict in the workplace is very healthy, it gets the tough questions/answers on the table and addressed as a group. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Honestly these aren't bad guesses at this point. Livingston may not be the guy but Waldron makes a ton of sense as OC. I am still trying to hold out hope that Jack Del Rio might want to be the Defensive Coordinator but I think he is more of a 3-4 Defensive guy and that really doesn't seem to fit our personnel. The lack of names for a Defensive Coordinator does make it seem that he has that spot filled though.
Reply/Quote
less ideas by the day..

Go saints so we can get on with it
Reply/Quote
I would think waldren would be blocked by rams since we are already taking zac taylor. I think zac already has his oc since we havently really been showing interest in any of the ocs available. I think its gonna be his brother. Id be happy with waldren, press, or mike kafka. Same thing with dc we havent shown much interest which tells me I think zac already got his guy there as well, but who knows who that might be. Ill be hoping for del rio.
Reply/Quote
If they can land Bill Callahan from Washington as the new o-line coach, and add Mike Sherman as an adviser / consultant type role, then all of sudden Taylor has a wealth of experience and knowledge to fall back and rely on when needed. 

That would seem to make it easier to bring in a Press or Waldron as OC. I would still like to see a verteran DC though.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they can land Bill Callahan from Washington as the new o-line coach, and add Mike Sherman as an adviser / consultant type role, the all of sudden Taylor has a wealth of experience and knowledge to fall back and rely on when needed. 

That would seem to make it easier to bring in a Press or Waldron as OC. I would still like to see a verteran DC though.

It's interesting that Pollack learned under Callahan...Which leaves me to believe that there might not be a big difference in coaching the o-line next season, but that Taylor is more comfortable with his old coach. Also could signify that our O-line could be getting new faces.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they can land Bill Callahan from Washington as the new o-line coach, and add Mike Sherman as an adviser / consultant type role, the all of sudden Taylor has a wealth of experience and knowledge to fall back and rely on when needed. 

Yes Holic, this with Del Rio at DC and we be sitting pretty.
Reply/Quote

Shane Waldron would make sense and agree.  No to Livingston as DC.  I think someone from college ranks could be possibility now that Donatell is gone.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 04:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Shane Waldron would make sense and agree.  No to Livingston as DC.  I think someone from college ranks could be possibility now that Donatell is gone.  

I'm not pushing Livingston, I just think that since both backfield coaches were retained, there's a good shot it's him....
Reply/Quote
DC is going to be Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 04:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Shane Waldron would make sense and agree.  No to Livingston as DC.  I think someone from college ranks could be possibility now that Donatell is gone.  

There's no defense in college football nowadays.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote