Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any mechanics on here need advice
Sad 
Friday night, after leaving Dolly wood. My wife and I figured we would ride across state line into North Carolina. Had a baby sitter for the night, so figured we would have us a nice evening out. Park closes at 7. So after going in NC we headed back home. Got to morristown Tn and it started pouring to rain. We drove her lil mazda miata. So we come on toward home.

When we get to tazewell Tn, it was 1:30am. Thats when all ,but 1 Bar closes so were driving on through tazewell. We get about 5-6 miles and we notice a big SUV coming up behind us, he gets within few feet of our car before finally changing lanes. When he gets up about our quarter panel (mind you he was swerving and driving where you knew he was DUI) he swerves and pit maneuvers us, sending her lil miata into about 3-4 full turns. The azzhole never stopped.

So after gaining our composure and looking at damage to body, which was minimal considering how hard it hit. Well she restarts car. We make it 4 or so miles home. Everything seem to be good. We get to our driveway, make left turn and it was like driver side tire was being dragged. After parking I seen inner tie rod arm had broke.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
A buddy of mine said it needed a whole new rack pinion. After searching google it looks like you can replace just this piece. 65$ Vs 500$ Any thoughts or opinions? Another pic on tie rod where it broke.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Yes, you should be able to replace just the tie rod.

However, I would strongly suggest having someone with suspension expertise give the entire front end a thorough inspection.  There may be unnoticed damage, that could surface at an inopportune moment.

On another note, that is a terrible thing that happened to you and your wife. Glad that you both are OK.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2015, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: JYes, you should be able to replace just the tie rod.

However, I would strongly suggest having someone with suspension expertise give the entire front end a thorough inspection.  There may be unnoticed damage, that could surface at an inopportune moment.

On another note, that is a terrible thing that happened to you and your wife.  Glad that you both are OK.

Ty,Sunset. Yes it could have been bad,the s.o.b never slowed down.  Don't think my liability insurance would cover it. My "mechanic" just looked and said, you have to have new rack pinion.  I've watched countless videos showing ppl changing them. Ty again Rock On

Reply/Quote
Your mechanic can be correct.

The tie rod arm was obviously damaged in the accident but did not break until you got home. So he may have seen lots of other damage that will be breaking soon if you don't repair it.

Or he could just be trying to get more money from you. Just have someone else check it out. The key is to talk to the mechanic enough to let him know that you have some knowledge about this stuff. Tell him you need to know exactly why you need and entire new system. He should be able to point out the exact damage that needs to be replaced.

As you know this is something you don't want to take a chance with. If something breaks in your steering and/or suspension your car doesn't just stop running. It could lead to a very bad accident.
Reply/Quote
Good advice fred......if the car sustained a lick hard enough to break a tie rod, it's quite feasible that it damaged the rack and pinion by overextension or pushing the rod into the rack. Is it leaking any power steering fluid around the rack? Feel any slipping or jerking in the wheel? Could've stripped teeth off of the cog or the rack.....but, it should be very obvious once a new tie rod is installed whether or not you need the rack and pinion.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 04:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good advice fred......if the car sustained a lick hard enough to break a tie rod, it's quite feasible that it damaged the rack and pinion by overextension or pushing the rod into the rack.  Is it leaking any power steering fluid around the rack?  Feel any slipping or jerking in the wheel? Could've stripped teeth off of the cog or the rack.....but, it should be very obvious once a new tie rod is installed whether or not you need the rack and pinion.

I ordered inner and outer tie rod today, when I drove it home there was no sign of any damage no jerking or slipping. There is no fluid leaking. I'm hoping that the tie rods fix it. Rack pinion is expensive for that lil miata.  Sad

Reply/Quote
fredtoastYour mechanic can be correct.

The tie rod arm was obviously damaged in the accident but did not break until you got home.  So he may have seen lots of other damage that will be breaking soon if you don't repair it.

Or he could just be trying to get more money from you.  Just have someone else check it out.  The key is to talk to the mechanic enough to let him know that you have some knowledge about this stuff.  Tell him you need to know exactly why you need and entire new system.  He should be able to point out the exact damage that needs to be replaced.

As you know this is something you don't want to take a chance with. If something breaks in your steering and/or suspension your car doesn't just stop running.  It could lead to a very bad accident.

Yes Fred , you are correct. I think he's trying to get more money. When I brought him over to look at it he just looked at broke tie rod and said, yep you need rack and pinion. After posting here and educating myself I'm going to put the tie rod on. Ty Fred. Rep to you sir

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:14 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I ordered inner and outer tie rod today, when I drove it home there was no sign of any damage no jerking or slipping. There is no fluid leaking. I'm hoping that the tie rods fix it. Rack pinion is expensive for that lil miata.  Sad

Just be sure to take a good look at everything.  A key part could be bent, crimped, or cracked and you would not feel anything from driving it.  You would not notice until it broke.

I am not expert on checking a rack and pinion system, but you should check and see if there is any play in the steering wheel when you turn it.  Also jack up the front end so that both wheels are off the ground and make sure everything moves smoothly with no play or grinding when you try to turn the tires with your hands instead of your steering wheel.

BTW Miatas are cool little cars. I almost bought one several years ago to toy around with.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just be sure to take a good look at everything.  A key part could be bent, crimped, or cracked and you would not feel anything from driving it.  You would not notice until it broke.

I am not expert on checking a rack and pinion system, but you should check and see if there is any play in the steering wheel when you turn it.  Also jack up the front end so that both wheels are off the ground and make sure everything moves smoothly with no play or grinding when you try to turn the tires with your hands instead of your steering wheel.

BTW Miatas are cool little cars.  I almost bought one several years ago to toy around with.

Rep 

Thanks Fred, I will check all the things you mentioned. I sure don't want my wife , to get out and something break and her get hurt or killed. She has already beat stage 4 liver and colon cancer. They took 2/3 of her liver out in 04 as well as a good portion of her colon. Been cancer free since 05. 

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:14 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I ordered inner and outer tie rod today, when I drove it home there was no sign of any damage no jerking or slipping. There is no fluid leaking. I'm hoping that the tie rods fix it. Rack pinion is expensive for that lil miata.  Sad

Yup, I'd say you're golden......fred gave you some good checks as well.  If all of that checks out, you should be set. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Finally, take it in and get an alignment done after you replace the tie rods.

You should be good.

BTW my parents live about 2 miles off of 25E between Clinch Mountain and Tazewell. I have made that drive you are describing many times. Your accident must have happened pretty close to the tunnel if you were just 4 miles from home in Middlesboro.
Reply/Quote