Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any other potential surprise cuts for Bengals?
(03-18-2022, 01:32 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, it is silly to cut someone: 

1) Before you need the cap space, and 
2) Before you have a replacement lined up. 

Apple just re-signed yesterday. Without Waynes, CB is still thin, Jalen Davis is #4 without him. But at least the starters are back. 

We still have cap space at the moment. 

If Collins signs, then I am pretty sure Waynes will have to be released to create cap space. Though Fred Johnson + some other moves might get us close. I read somewhere the Hendrickson's deal can be restructured to save close to $5 mil. 

Crazy thing about Wayans is if he magically gets healthy and lasts a year, his price tag is right around what hes worth. I think were waiting on Wayans at least until camp. No use in cutting someone who was projected as CB1 when you have no replacement. 

Wayans being healthy would be an insane surprise and would bolster our secondary greatly. 
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess if you are looking for a surprise cut I'd say Bell if we end up extending Bates to a huge contract and draft a safety at 31 (Keep an eye out on Brisker if no CB's are on the board, and we sign Collins). Other than that there isn't many players left that would be considered a surprise cut.

I'd hate that move.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:27 PM)jason Wrote: I'd hate that move.

Yeah was one of the best SS in the league last year imo. Idc what his stats rank him as. He played great situational ball and him and Bates together never seemed to give up deep passes
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess if you are looking for a surprise cut I'd say Bell if we end up extending Bates to a huge contract and draft a safety at 31 (Keep an eye out on Brisker if no CB's are on the board, and we sign Collins). Other than that there isn't many players left that would be considered a surprise cut.

Bell may actually last longer with the Bengals than Bates. I can see us extending him after this season for a few years.  

Bates' agent makes things tough, at this point I would guess tag#2 or let him walk might be more realistic than a long term deal.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Bell may actually last longer with the Bengals than Bates. I can see us extending him after this season for a few years.  

Bates' agent makes things tough, at this point I would guess tag#2 or let him walk might be more realistic than a long term deal.

We could always rescind Bates and draft Brisker in Round 1. Use that money on Gilmore for 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:52 PM)pulses Wrote: We could always rescind Bates and draft Brisker in Round 1. Use that money on Gilmore for 2 years.

I dont think there is any doubt we should draft a safety this season and maybe higher than people think....

Gilmore and the Raiders have been in talks for a few days now.  We could get a Donte Jackson on the cheap.

All that said, I think we keep Bates on the tag, let the rookie learn under him and make a solid run this season.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:56 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont think there is any doubt we should draft a safety this season and maybe higher than people think....

Gilmore and the Raiders have been in talks for a few days now.  We could get a Donte Jackson on the cheap.

All that said, I think we keep Bates on the tag, let the rookie learn under him and make a solid run this season.

Then let him walk next year when he wants stupid money again !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:19 PM)Housh Wrote: In a perfect world, the line is fixed and Mixon has a career year and then his contract turns into a bargain. 

I think we already have him at a bargain and any additional performance turns it into an absolute steal that could cause a Keyshawn Johnson type player to demand a new deal.  (I do not think Mixon is that type)

Mixon's scheduled to make 8M/9.4M/9.6M over the next 3 years and is coming off his 292 carries for 1206 yards and 13 TDs. 

Zeke is scheduled to make 12M this year off 237/1002/10
McCafferty is scheduled for 8.4M (injury season)
Henry is scheduled to make 12M (injury season)
Kamara's salary is cheap this year but next year bumps up to 9.4M
Dalvin Cook...same story....
Hell even Nick Chubb has a better salary than Mixon.  

It seems all the "top" RBs are warranting a salary of 10-13M/year once all the silliness that is signing bonuses and guaranteed money settle down.  We got Mixon for under that and arguably get better performance than most of those guys.  

Note:  I'm completely ignoring the silliness of those fake years on contracts...like Kamara's last year is over 22M...Saints will never pay that
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:02 PM)pulses Wrote: Then let him walk next year when he wants stupid money again !

I think you have to. He admitted to playing like a whiny ass this past season due tot his contract. We tag him next year he will really be disgruntled knowing we would never use that 3rd tag the following season.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think you have to. He admitted to playing like a whiny ass this past season due tot his contract. We tag him next year he will really be disgruntled knowing we would never use that 3rd tag the following season.
It might be unpopular but I would have let him walk this year and tried to sign Marcus Williams who is just as good or better. Or someone else a little cheaper and let him chase his big payday somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:02 PM)pulses Wrote: Then let him walk next year when he wants stupid money again !

Can you look at what happened to Ogunjobi and really blame Bates?  Ogunjobi had his $$$ lined up and it got ruined (or delayed) by an injury sustained playing on a one year contract.  

I personally think if we're going to cut corners at CB, (pun intended) then we should pay Bates because every time Apple gives up a TD, he stares at Bates as if it's his fault.  

Someone putting up with that shit deserves max dollars.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:10 PM)basballguy Wrote: Can you look at what happened to Ogunjobi and really blame Bates?  Ogunjobi had his $$$ lined up and it got ruined (or delayed) by an injury sustained playing on a one year contract.  

I personally think if we're going to cut corners at CB, (pun intended) then we should pay Bates because every time Apple gives up a TD, he stares at Bates as if it's his fault.  

Bates didn't play well enough to EARN max dollars that's the difference.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:10 PM)basballguy Wrote: Can you look at what happened to Ogunjobi and really blame Bates?  Ogunjobi had his $$$ lined up and it got ruined (or delayed) by an injury sustained playing on a one year contract.  

If I was Bates I wouldnt play under a franchise tag personally. 
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:09 PM)pulses Wrote: It might be unpopular but I would have let him walk this year and tried to sign Marcus Williams who is just as good or better. Or someone else a little cheaper and let him chase his big payday somewhere else.

No one wants to hear that. Williams is a very good player.  

If the decision was made to let Bates walk I wouldnt of traded one high dollar deal with another, I would have tried to get a Marcus Maye type for 1 yr (although he ended up getting a decent deal after being injured) and drafted a Safety very high.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:16 PM)Housh Wrote: If I was Bates I wouldnt play under a franchise tag personally. 

That would had been a disastrous decision. We still have his rights for 2 more years after this one. You going to sit out 3 seasons?

Reply/Quote

I do agree its one or the other, pay your CBs or your safeties.  But the safety needs to match play with dollars.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: No one wants to hear that. Williams is a very good player.  

If the decision was made to let Nates walk I wouldnt of traded one high dollar deal with another, I would have tried to get a Marcus Maye type for 1 yr (although he ended up getting a decent deal after being injured) and drafted a Safety very high.

I agree that's what I would have done. Looked for somebody on the short term and drafted one high this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:05 PM)basballguy Wrote: I think we already have him at a bargain and any additional performance turns it into an absolute steal that could cause a Keyshawn Johnson type player to demand a new deal.  (I do not think Mixon is that type)

Mixon's scheduled to make 8M/9.4M/9.6M over the next 3 years and is coming off his 292 carries for 1206 yards and 13 TDs. 

Zeke is scheduled to make 12M this year off 237/1002/10
McCafferty is scheduled for 8.4M (injury season)
Henry is scheduled to make 12M (injury season)
Kamara's salary is cheap this year but next year bumps up to 9.4M
Dalvin Cook...same story....
Hell even Nick Chubb has a better salary than Mixon.  

It seems all the "top" RBs are warranting a salary of 10-13M/year once all the silliness that is signing bonuses and guaranteed money settle down.  We got Mixon for under that and arguably get better performance than most of those guys.  

Note:  I'm completely ignoring the silliness of those fake years on contracts...like Kamara's last year is over 22M...Saints will never pay that

Agree and said he is going nowhere presently. But Bengals are running him an awful lot and expect that to increase this year. 

Do expect a phenomenal year from Mixon and like the guy a lot. Yet don't think the way to win is to pay a RB that sort of money these days.

Believe you just proved my point with 4 out of the 6 players listed not even making the playoffs and none listed won a playoff game this year. Zeke did make playoffs for the first time since 18 and coincidentally they have not won a playoff game since 18 either. But of course he was on a rookie contract then and they could build a better team around him. See Cowboys moving on from him in near future , as in next year.

Henry is the exception to the rule but even he proved what happens when a team is so invested in one guy playing a position where players tend to  get hurt often. 

Plus there are youngsters like Najee Harris who ran for 1,200 yards behind a poor O-line as well making 3.2 million a year.  

Like I said am a big fan of Mixon and expect him to be a beast behind the Bengals new O-line, es[ecially if Collins signs. Yet out of the 5 seasons he has been with the Bengals he has not not even averaged a 1,000 yds rushing a year. In fact has not broke a thousand 2 out of the 5. His receiving certainly helps counter this, but still. 

He already has over 1,100 carries and 171 receptions which will be over 1,400 and 200 after this year if he remains healthy. That's getting up there and the average for NFL RB's does not even exceed 1,000 carries or 3 years of service. 

Love the guy and think he will be a huge part of the teams success but eventually we will have to look elsewhere to save money for Burrow and Chase and RB's are the easiest position to find NFL ready coming out of college imo.  We are fortunate the LSU products are on Rookie deals, but fat will have to be trimmed in near future. 

Hopefully we get two more years out of him but would be looking to draft a RB now to help alleviate his workload. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That would had been a disastrous decision. We still have his rights for 2 more years after this one. You going to sit out 3 seasons?

I wouldve taken what ever contract we offered. 

No way we offered a super bad contract
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Who is this chick?
https://stripehype.com/2022/03/18/bengals-defensive-players-deshaun-watson-afc-north/amp/
Reply/Quote