Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any soccer fans on here ??
Just wondering seeing as the football season is a way off over there do any of you guys follow soccer from anywhere in the world ?? I see fc Cincinnati are doing ok at the moment and I watched the first half of the game between Los Angeles and San Jose over here last night but had to go to bed as it was midnight but it was a great first half. Over here Ryan Reynolds team Wrexham which is 16 miles down the road from me lost a fabulous game 4 - 5 trying to get back into the football league. I used to support Manchester United as my dad supported them but then downgraded to the only football league club in my county of Shropshire called Shrewsbury Town. We are pretty crap but they are my crap. We have had days beating much bigger clubs in cup competitions and also losing to way lesser clubs. So do you like soccer and if so who is your team ???
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 09:47 AM)Cuzz from England Wrote: Just wondering seeing as the football season is a way off over there do any of you guys follow soccer from anywhere in the world ??  I see fc Cincinnati are doing ok at the moment and I watched the first half of the game between Los Angeles and San Jose over here last night but had to go to bed as it was midnight but it was a great first half. Over here Ryan Reynolds team Wrexham which is 16 miles down the road from me lost a fabulous game 4 - 5 trying to get back into the football league. I used to support Manchester United as my dad supported them but then downgraded to the only football league club in my county of Shropshire called Shrewsbury Town. We are pretty crap but they are my crap. We have had days beating much bigger clubs in cup competitions and also losing to way lesser clubs. So do you like soccer and if so who is your team ???

Huge International Soccer fan; I never watch the MLS. 

Some favs:

International: The Dutch

Power Club: Arsenal

Lower Club: Sunderland

Favorite Players Past: Robin Van Persie, Therry Henry, Gennis Bergkamp

Favorite Players Present: Victor Osimhen, Virgil Van Djik, Cody Gakpo
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the EPL, Tottenham Hotspur is the team i follow. I like Hearts in Scotland, just because i like edinburgh, and i saw them play on the old fox sports channel.
International: England
Past players: Robbie Keane, oliver kahn, hasselbaink
Present: Kane and Son
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 09:47 AM)Cuzz from England Wrote: Just wondering seeing as the football season is a way off over there do any of you guys follow soccer from anywhere in the world ??  I see fc Cincinnati are doing ok at the moment and I watched the first half of the game between Los Angeles and San Jose over here last night but had to go to bed as it was midnight but it was a great first half. Over here Ryan Reynolds team Wrexham which is 16 miles down the road from me lost a fabulous game 4 - 5 trying to get back into the football league. I used to support Manchester United as my dad supported them but then downgraded to the only football league club in my county of Shropshire called Shrewsbury Town. We are pretty crap but they are my crap. We have had days beating much bigger clubs in cup competitions and also losing to way lesser clubs. So do you like soccer and if so who is your team ???

Football season's not too far off. The preseason starts in a little over two months and training camp starts a week or two before the league's first game.

All my good friends are in a group chat though where we follow everything Cinci sports and we chat about FC Cinci so I might end up at a few games soon.

Soccer's pretty boring to watch unless it's the final minutes and it's close, overtime, or shootouts, but being there with friends would obviously be more fun. The rare high scoring games are also fun or even with lots of shots on goal. 
Reply/Quote

Hey Limey!  The soccer I follow is played by my 11 year old grandson on Cincinnati United Premier.  Since he and his dad are die-hard Liverpool fans, I do root for them.  Tough loss yesterday.

I also pull for Liverpool because one of my favorite bands hailed from there.

As far as a favorite player, it has to be Schweinsteiger from the Olympics years ago.  I don't know a damn thing about him except I loved to hear the announcer say his name.

SCHVEINSTEIGAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I'm european so of course I'm a soccer fan !

Olympique de Marseille and nothing else !!

Best crowd in Europe !!

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
My favorite team is AFC Richmond.
Reply/Quote

Welcome! 

Huge footy fan here. Columbus Crew season ticket holder.  USA Men & Women. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc. 

Favorite non-USA INT:
Europe: Portugal, Denmark, Czech
SA: Uruguay
Africa: Ghana

EPL: Everton, Forest (promoted today!), Arsenal (big club)
Spain: A. Madrid, Villarreal, Deportivo La Coruna
Bundesliga: Dortmund
Italy: Atalanta
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 03:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Welcome! 

Huge footy fan here. Columbus Crew season ticket holder.  USA Men & Women. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc. 

Favorite non-USA INT:
Europe: Portugal, Denmark, Czech
SA: Uruguay
Africa: Ghana

EPL: Everton, Forest (promoted today!), Arsenal (big club)
Spain: A. Madrid, Villarreal, Deportivo La Coruna
Bundesliga: Dortmund
Italy: Atalanta
Welp, I had that recorded to watch after the race today 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 02:27 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Hey Limey!  The soccer I follow is played by my 11 year old grandson on Cincinnati United Premier.  Since he and his dad are die-hard Liverpool fans, I do root for them.  Tough loss yesterday.

I also pull for Liverpool because one of my favorite bands hailed from there.

As far as a favorite player, it has to be Schweinsteiger from the Olympics years ago.  I don't know a damn thing about him except I loved to hear the announcer say his name.

SCHVEINSTEIGAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Liverpool fans around here as I'm only 50 miles away and I think Real Madrid were destined to win after lots of close earlier games. My grandson is a pretty good player and got scouted by Manchester City but got cut. Which Liverpool band by the way ??  Most people would say the Beatles who I don't particularly care for. My favourite Liverpool band would probably be the Coral. Shweinsteiger was a good player who ended up playing for Manchester United over here at the end of his career before he fell out with the manager. Best wishes to you and the Liverpool loving family, limey.
Reply/Quote
I never played soccer. I know the rules and have watched a few games, but I don't know enough about the game to appreciate the subtle nuances of what makes one player better than the others.

But I am not blind to genius. i saw a highlight one time where Messi was bringing the ball down the sideline. There was a guy beside him that had him pinned to the sideline and a guy directly in front of him. It looked like he had nowhere to go. Then he did this amazing dribble between his own legs thing and split the two defenders. There was another defender standing close by and Messi just exploded past him before he even realized what was happening. Then Lionel drilled a laser of a shot that bent around the goalkeeper about 20 yards away and into the far end of the net. It was insane. Even though I am not a soccer fan I grabbed the remote and re-watched that about 5 times. I assume it is like knowing nothing about American football but still being blown away by some of the moves Barry Sanders pulled out of his ass.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never played soccer.  I know the rules and have watched a few games, but I don't know enough about the game to appreciate the subtle nuances of what makes one player better than the others.

But I am not blind to genius. i saw a highlight one time where Messi was bringing the ball down the sideline.  There was a guy beside him that had him pinned to the sideline and a guy directly in front of him.  It looked like he had nowhere to go.  Then he did this amazing dribble between his own legs thing and split the two defenders.  There was another defender standing close by and Messi just exploded past him before he even realized what was happening.  Then Lionel drilled a laser of a shot that bent around the goalkeeper about 20 yards away and into the far end of the net.  It was insane.  Even though I am not a soccer fan I grabbed the remote and re-watched that about 5 times.  I assume it is like knowing nothing about American football but still being blown away by some of the moves Barry Sanders pulled out of his ass.

Fred, Lionel Messi is without a doubt a genius. His highlight reels take forever to watch. Probably the best player ever to play the game. Also very humble and unassuming unlike Christiano Ronaldo who is great player but a total knob of a person. There are many genius aspects to football too, be it an amazing run from a Barry Sanders to the perfectly thrown ball or an amazing Odell Beckham type one handed grab. Every sport has its genius moments and it's great to witness the skills these people have.
Reply/Quote
The most talented was Ronaldinho, IMHO. But he was a lazy ass and spent too much time dancing Big Grin

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 02:41 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I'm european so of course I'm a soccer fan !

Olympique de Marseille and nothing else !!

Best crowd in Europe !!
My brother went to a game in France and he said it was the craziest  sports experience  he ever has had.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 05:02 PM)J24 Wrote: My brother went to a game in France and he said it was the craziest  sports experience  he ever has had.

Then he went to the Stade Velodrome Big Grin 

Ask him.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 05:56 PM)Cuzz from England Wrote: Fred, Lionel Messi is without a doubt a genius. His highlight reels take forever to watch. Probably the best player ever to play the game. Also very humble and unassuming unlike Christiano Ronaldo who is great player but a total knob of a person.

Well, then again Messi is a tax fraud who tried to avoid paying 4 billion euros through bogus companies. Something a knob would do.

@thread I used to like soccer a lot, but lately I find myself not caring much whether the investor group's team, the oligarch's team or the sheikh's team wins. And I cannot possibly watch a championship in Qatar. Big money destroyed the sport's magic.
Reply/Quote
i played soccer for over 10 years and love the game... dont really follow any teams doesnt seem to be a consistant way to watch on TV yet that ive found. but i also havent looked very hard lol... Have friends that are Crew Fans.
Reply/Quote
I spent the better part of my teenage years/early twenties living in Brazil. I really hope to someday visit some stadiums in Europe. I was lucky enough to watch a match in the famous Maracanã stadium in Rio de Janeiro when I was 16.

I mostly follow the International games, with USA and Brazil being my 1A and 1B. Then whoever is playing again Portugal, Argentina or Mexico.

I loosely keep up with Brazilian Série A. Internacional, my wife's hometown team and Avaí, the team of the city I lived in. I also got to give English classes to the son of the club's president.
Reply/Quote
Being from Germany, Football (not soccer) will always be my first love. Due to an english neighbour I became kind of a Reds Fan in the late70s/early 80s. When I really started to get into it more I became a Fan of 1 FC Köln (Cologne), reason was their former Goalkeeper T. Schumacher, a guy who didnt care about his or his opponents health (remember Semi Final of the WC 82, Batiston, google it...). It also helps, that Cologne is only 30 Miles away from where I live (also close to a lot of other Bundesliga Clubs). While the Bengals are my love, Köln is my religion, something that US Fans may not understand.

Besides Köln, I also still like the Reds and AS Roma (due to Guiseppe Ginanini and Francesco Totti), but nothing comes close to Köln.

Best player ever should be Maradona, maybe the only guy who was able to win a game on his own. For a period of 2 or 3 years, the best player was Ronaldinho, just watch the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dBz4dTZocg
hard work ain´t easy, but usually easy ain´t worth it
Reply/Quote
We have the best crowd in the world when the team is giving it all.

This is goal didn't count for some obscure reasons but when you're in it it's really something.

Reply/Quote