Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any songwriters on board?
If so, what kind of stuff do you write?  Do you play your material out anywhere?  Solo or band?  Who are your influences?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Here is a love somg i wrote for a woman a long time ago. It has never been performed in public, but I did use it on different women. No chorus. Just two verses.

THE SWEETEST OF ALL

I've drank an ocean of old Jack Danials,
and I've smoked a mountain of pot.
Hell, it'd take a train to hold the cocaine
that into my brain I have shot.
I may be a stoner; a burnt out old freak;
and a chronic alcoholic too.
But you're the best drug that I've ever had,
Honey nothing gets me higher than you.

I snort some crystal to get up every morning,
take a handful of valium each night.
I'll huff on that paint 'til I'm 'bout to faint
and tequila makes me feela alright.
I've danced with the Dead while tripping on mushrooms,
drank beer 'til I was ready to fall.
But you're the best drug that I've ever had
Honey your crack's the sweetest of all.
Reply/Quote
I like it. The lyrics are Tom Waits-ish, and a little filthy at the end. I assume there's music. If so, what instrument do you play? Or did you just go a cappella? Also, did it work on the two women?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 01:47 PM)McC Wrote: I like it.  The lyrics are Tom Waits-ish, and a little filthy at the end.  I assume there's music.  If so, what instrument do you play?  Or did you just go a cappella?  Also, did it work on the two women?

There is a tune, but I didn't play an instrument.  I know how to read music and could figure it out on the piano if I wanted too, but I am no piano player.

If by "worked" you mean "getting a laugh" then yes.  But that was not my ultimate goal.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a tune, but I didn't play an instrument.  I know how to read music and could figure it out on the piano if I wanted too, but I am no piano player.

If by "worked" you mean "getting a laugh" then yes.  But that was not my ultimate goal.

Sounds like it could be a good song for you to sing and have the woman play your flute.
Reply/Quote
This thread went sideways in a hurry, huh? Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a tune, but I didn't play an instrument.  I know how to read music and could figure it out on the piano if I wanted too, but I am no piano player.

Probably half the songs ever written by dudes were written to get a woman into bed.  And probably half of them were met with laughter.  So, you're in good company, I'm sure.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:36 PM)McC Wrote: This thread went sideways in a hurry, huh? Hilarious

Sorry..

I dont think i ever wrote anything that i turned into a song but i never really went back to stuff after i wrote it...

I did at one point come up with a band name but thats as far as i got.
Reply/Quote
My oldest son wrote a song that got recorded but never released by Clarkson.

He wrote the song, sent it to whoever and they recorded it and sent him a copy with a letter that said something along the lines of "This song is no longer yours because we added some oohs and aahs to it".

He thought it was cool and moved on, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sounds like it could be a good song for you to sing and have the woman play your flute.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
My coworker used to record his singing voice after work and share mp3s the next day. Nobody had the guts to tell him how horrible he was. That's life.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sorry..

I dont think i ever wrote anything that i turned into a song but i never really went back to stuff after i wrote it...

No biggie.  It went sideways in a good way.  

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 04:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: My oldest son wrote a song that got recorded but never released by Clarkson.

He wrote the song, sent it to whoever and they recorded it and sent him a copy with a letter that said something along the lines of "This song is no longer yours because we added some oohs and aahs to it".

He thought it was cool and moved on, lol.

Sounds like he got screwed.  If he had a copyright, they can't legally do that.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sorry..

What was the name?  I have to know it now that you mentioned it.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a love somg i wrote for a woman a long time ago.  It has never been performed in public, but I did use it on different women.  No chorus.  Just two verses.

THE SWEETEST OF ALL

I've drank an ocean of old Jack Danials,
and I've smoked a mountain of pot.
Hell, it'd take a train to hold the cocaine
that into my brain I have shot.
I may be a stoner; a burnt out old freak;
and a chronic alcoholic too.
But you're the best drug that I've ever had,
Honey nothing gets me higher than you.

I snort some crystal to get up every morning,
take a handful of valium each night.
I'll huff on that paint 'til I'm 'bout to faint
and tequila makes me feela alright.
I've danced with the Dead while tripping on mushrooms,
drank beer 'til I was ready to fall.
But you're the best drug that I've ever had
Honey your crack's the sweetest of all.

This made me cry.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 05:57 PM)McC Wrote: What was the name?  I have to know it now that you mentioned it.

Poetic Chaos.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 10:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Poetic Chaos.

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sounds like it could be a good song for you to sing and have the woman play your flute.

LOL

[Image: resized_jazz-flute-anchorman-meme-genera...588c74.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 10:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Poetic Chaos.

I'll rep that.

I was once involved in a debate over a band name.  They were trying to choose between "Fictional Sluts" and "Fictitious Sluts".
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:52 AM)McC Wrote: If so, what kind of stuff do you write?  Do you play your material out anywhere?  Solo or band?  Who are your influences?

I write all my songs.

Usually about life, love, maybe a little politics to get me pissed off lol.

Getting shit off my chest is what it is all about for me.

Solo, and life and God are my influences.
Reply/Quote