Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any songwriters on board?
https://myspace.com/sonscompass/music/songs

These are a couple songs I took to the studio back in 2009. These songs were actually played on WEBN's "native noise" for 6+ months. It was pretty awesome to hear my old songs on the radio every now and then.

I was definitely influenced by "grunge" particularly Nirvana. You'll probably notice that. My voice was a little throaty on "Pain". Wish I could go back and redo it, but studios are so flipping expensive. The second song (I Wait) was also written and composed by me, but with my band mate on Vox and me on backup vox.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Recorded an album with some buddies a few years back. Was probably the best experience of my life. There is nothing better than taking your ideas and putting them onto a recording.

Not many people hopped on the bandwagon for our band (lol) but the EP turned out ok. The band disbanded a year or so after the creation of the EP. We were all in college and what not and stopped playing music to focus on other things. I feel bad at times. Making music is something I truly love doing, and this stuff doesn't scratch the surface of what I feel a friend of mine and I could create. A lot of ideas fell to the wayside as 'real life' took over.

I still wish I could create music for a living, but there is pretty much a 99.9999% that you will end up living a terrible life as a touring hobo. IDK, personally I could handle it, but I have a gf who couldn't. If I was single, I could see myself being a musician.

Anyways, if you wanted to listen.. https://www.facebook.com/TheParisFunds/ 

I play bass and sing on some of the tracks. It's a pop punk/indie band, and if that isn't what you're into then I completely understand. This is all 'meh' to me at this point.

I might create an account to post all of my rockband creations someday... I could sit and mess around with that stuff all day...
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 02:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://myspace.com/sonscompass/music/songs

These are a couple songs I took to the studio back in 2009. These songs were actually played on WEBN's "native noise" for 6+ months. It was pretty awesome to hear my old songs on the radio every now and then.

I was definitely influenced by "grunge" particularly Nirvana. You'll probably notice that. My voice was a little throaty on "Pain". Wish I could go back and redo it, but studios are so flipping expensive. The second song (I Wait) was also written and composed by me, but with my band mate on Vox and me on backup vox.

Hell yeah.  I hear the influence but it's not at all derivative.  Great voice.   Don't change a thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 07:43 AM)McC Wrote: Hell yeah.  I hear the influence but it's not at all derivative.  Great voice.   Don't change a thing.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks man, I really appreciate that. 

My pleasure.   I love hearing someone I've never heard before and your thing is tight tight and just plain good.

I'm no singer and am the first to admit it.  I'm a poet masquerading as a singer songwriter and faking my way through the music in order to express myself.

The link is my sig, if you ever want to listen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 02:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://myspace.com/sonscompass/music/songs

That song kind of has a 7 Mary 3 vibe to it. 

I like it.  Good riff.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 08:57 PM)McC Wrote: My pleasure.   I love hearing someone I've never heard before and your thing is tight tight and just plain good.

I'm no singer and am the first to admit it.  I'm a poet masquerading as a singer songwriter and faking my way through the music in order to express myself.

The link is my sig, if you ever want to listen.

I've actually listened to yours a few times. Did you write all of those songs? If so, that's a pretty big catalog of tunes. Smoke is definitely my favorite of the bunch. You ever think about pulling some Johnny Cash covers? You have the voice for it.

(02-02-2016, 09:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That song kind of has a 7 Mary 3 vibe to it. 

I like it.  Good riff.

LOVE 7M3, so I'll take that as a huge compliment.  ThumbsUp

Btw, do you have any links for you or your band? I can't remember if I've heard your stuff or not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've actually listened to yours a few times. Did you write all of those songs? If so, that's a pretty big catalog of tunes. Smoke is definitely my favorite of the bunch. You ever think about pulling some Johnny Cash covers? You have the voice for it.

Btw, do you have any links for you or your band? I can't remember if I've heard your stuff or not.

Yep.  Wrote them all.  Have some more I'm still tinkering with and four more that will be done before long.

I love Johnny Cash.  One of my all time favorites.  But I stay away from covers because the knowing of how it's supposed to sound will only further expose me as a non-singer.  If I had someone else to be the singer, I'd step away from the mic in a NY minute.

My ultimate gig would be to write songs for people and get paid for it.

Reply/Quote
I've heard some of McC's stuff from his link on his sig. It's good stuff. You guys should check it out. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've actually listened to yours a few times. Did you write all of those songs? If so, that's a pretty big catalog of tunes. Smoke is definitely my favorite of the bunch. You ever think about pulling some Johnny Cash covers? You have the voice for it.

I would like to hear it too.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 11:32 PM)McC Wrote: My ultimate gig would be to write songs for people and get paid for it.

The guy who ran the studio where I recorded actually wrote music for several big movies including "Knocked Up". I'm pretty sure he said that when you write songs for movies, you only receive a one-time fee for your work. So obviously writing music for other musicians is the way to go because then you're talking royalties. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 01:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The guy who ran the studio where I recorded actually wrote music for several big movies including "Knocked Up". I'm pretty sure he said that when you write songs for movies, you only receive a one-time fee for your work. So obviously writing music for other musicians is the way to go because then you're talking royalties. 

I've been trying to work the Nashville publishing scene.  A better vocalist would be a huge help to me, if you know anyone. 

I feel like my shitty voice works well for my material.  I do have a lot of fans.  BTW, a friend of mine once told me my vocal style was like I was whispering in a chick's ear, trying to get in her pants.  I laughed at that but then I started noticing how many female fans I have, so maybe there's something to it.

Anyway, though, if you know any willing good singers who could spruce up three or four songs, I would love to know them.  There won't be any studio involved.  I have recording software on my laptop and I can come to them.  In a few hours, i could get everything i need.

They don't even need to be country singers, just people who can actually sing.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:21 PM)McC Wrote: I've been trying to work the Nashville publishing scene.  A better vocalist would be a huge help to me, if you know anyone. 

I feel like my shitty voice works well for my material.  I do have a lot of fans.  BTW, a friend of mine once told me my vocal style was like I was whispering in a chick's ear, trying to get in her pants.  I laughed at that but then I started noticing how many female fans I have, so maybe there's something to it.

Anyway, though, if you know any willing good singers who could spruce up three or four songs, I would love to know them.  There won't be any studio involved.  I have recording software on my laptop and I can come to them.  In a few hours, i could get everything i need.

They don't even need to be country singers, just people who can actually sing.

My buddy (the guy who sang on I Wait) knows a lot about the Nashville scene. He spent a couple years down there off and on and is registered with BMI. If you want I could give you his FB if you need any advice. Just tell him you're a friend of Deric's. He'll talk your ear off about Nashville.  Yawn

As for singers, I wish I could help. Most of the people I know sing like an amputee...can't hold a note and can't carry a tune. LOL

Have you tried Craigslist? You can usually make some good connections there in the community section under musicians.
Reply/Quote