Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any suggestions on a mattress
I bought a Tempurpedic about 10 years ago for my wife’s birthday. It’s been decent but been waking up lately like I’ve been hit by a truck. Just sore, achy, almost like my body was tense all night. So I decided to look for a new mattress, but man there’s a billion different kinds. I know there’s different firmnesses for different body types and sleep styles. Just looking to see if you all have a certain brand or type that works for you? Thanks in advance!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:40 AM)Cure4CF Wrote: I bought a Tempurpedic about 10 years ago for my wife’s birthday.  It’s been decent but been waking up lately like I’ve been hit by a truck. Just sore, achy, almost like my body was tense all night.  So I decided to look for a new mattress, but man there’s a billion different kinds.  I know there’s different firmnesses for different body types and sleep styles. Just looking to see if you all have a certain brand or type that works for you?  Thanks in advance!

Do you know what model you have?

I am on year 15 of my Tempurpedic Celebrity, and I have the occasional morning these days like you described.  That model has not been available for quite some time, so I am wondering if that could be why.  We plan to upgrade from a queen to a king in a few more years, but will probably stay with Tempurpedic.

I have a friend who recently bought a new mattress.  He started with Leesa and returned it, then Sleep Number and returned it.  At that point he took my suggestion and tried Tempurpedic.  He told me he has never been able to sleep more than 6 hours straight in his life.  He kept the Tempurpedic and now always gets a full 8 hours of sleep every night.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure of the model, when the wife wakes up I’ll see if I can find it on a tag or something. We did get the adjustable base with it and probably going to use that with the new mattress. Unless they throw in an adjustable base with the purchase of a king, we will probably be staying with a queen because we already have it. The price on some/most of these are outrages, but our thinking is that we use it everyday so we probably should get a good one.
Reply/Quote
I bought the newest model Temperpediac this year. They have samples of the old foam versus what they use now and honestly it’s not even close to the same thing. They have come a long way and the biggest improvement is the ability to regulate heat now with the layering of foams and gels the use now. I’d suggest checking out the newer models for comparison.
Reply/Quote
Sleep Number: Expensive but oh so worth it!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 02:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: I bought the newest model Temperpediac this year. They have samples of the old foam versus what they use now and honestly it’s not even close to the same thing. They have come a long way and the biggest improvement is the ability to regulate heat now with the layering of foams and gels the use now. I’d suggest checking out the newer models for comparison.

Good point about the improvements over the years. We liked our bed for a decent amount of time so I won’t rule it out.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 05:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sleep Number: Expensive but oh so worth it!

I asked my sisters and one of them said they just got one about 6 months ago and I should go check em out. I laid on one a few weeks ago just in passing and it was a little 2 hard, but I didn’t do the whole adjustment thing so I will probably try that. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
http://www.thefoamfactory.com

Make your own and save a grand or two
Reply/Quote
I don't even have a pillow top mattress so you can guess how old that mattress is. I put memory foam over it though and it's all zipped in a mattress cover and sleeps great. I wish it was adjustable. That's really the only negative for tv watching.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 09:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: http://www.thefoamfactory.com

I’ve been reading about people doing this. Have you or anyone you know tried it? Thanks for the link!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 09:52 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't even have a pillow top mattress so you can guess how old that mattress is. I put memory foam over it though and it's all zipped in a mattress cover and sleeps great. I wish it was adjustable. That's really the only negative for tv watching.

As long as it sleeps great there’s no reason to change! For the adjustable part, we really only adjust it when one of us are uncomfortable. Here lately nothing we do has worked. We’ve tried a couple pillow tops and a billion different positions on the adjustable w/ no luck. I do recommend the adjustable though. If you do get one, make sure to get the one that you can adjust the feet along w/ the head.
Reply/Quote
We got a Tempurpedic about 5 years ago.....wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:12 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I’ve been reading about people doing this.  Have you or anyone you know tried it?  Thanks for the link!

I did from that place i linked. Probably about 5-6 years ago. Still using it. Reseaeched a bunch on memory foam. Found out the density rating is basically what you want to look for. Higher the better as far as quality and longevity. But it also effects firmness. Higher being more firm.

I think i did a 3" base of the premium non memory foam. There are a bunch of different types. 5" of 3lbs density and 2" of 5lbs density memory foam. 

The 3lbs was too soft for my liking. I originally started with that on top. Switched it around and put the 5lbs on top and it was money. 

Comes rolled up and compressed. Open it up and let it air out for a day or two. I think that is true for any mail order memory foam mattress.

They sell bamboo mattress covers i found one on ebay for like 20 bucks to fit a 10" mattress. 

Where i screwed up is i didnt have a mattress protector. So dead skin and shit gets in and deteriorates the foam faster.

I will do it again. I can resuse the base and will stick to high density foam. And make sure i get a breathable mattress protector. To go under the bamboo mattress cover.
Reply/Quote
Oh. Reason i did it was because the super cheap memory foam mattresses were so tempting. Then i learned they have like 2" of cheap low density and the rest regular foam. So i ended up with over 3x as much memory foam and of higher quality.

Set it all on top of my old box spring. But that was just for convenience. No box spring was needed. You could use a cheap platform up to an expensive adjustable base with it
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 09:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: http://www.thefoamfactory.com

My ex made her own.  

Added straps so she could wear it on her back.
Reply/Quote