Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any update on Ross
Just thinking out loud, but do you think the Bengals were trying to pimp up Lafell to be traded to a decimated team like the Giants? Doesn't make a lot of sense, as their season is all but over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just feel with Ross being on the field on the occasional 3rd and 8 is better than what we have now regardless of blocking. His speed in and of it self will cause corners to back off opening up a screen for Mixon or Gio.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 11:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Another interesting part is the 26:00-28:00 mark when he talks about adjustments. Kind of makes me think that--even though i'm not Marv fan by any stretch--when he said halftime adjustments are a media creation, that he means (sarcastically) waiting till halftime then making some groundbreaking adjustment is the made up part, since Lazor talked about how they adjust throughout the game. 

Just food for thought. 

Makes sense and I think you're right about Marv's meaning behind that comment.

That said, I've seen way too many games where there was drastic change after halftime to believe that teams don't make big changes at half.

Maybe that's not a weekly thing, but sometimes they see something, make adjustments and come out looking like a completely different team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Makes sense and I think you're right about Marv's meaning behind that comment.

That said, I've seen way too many games where there was drastic change after halftime to believe that teams don't make big changes at half.

Maybe that's not a weekly thing, but sometimes they see something, make adjustments and come out looking like a completely different team.

I get that, but just as a counter; as much as you see it and it's credited (halftime adjustment to win a game) it would seem to me that practicing all week only to completely change course would be more of a detriment than a help. 

I don't doubt that a minor change would help, but i would think, better execution would be a better place to lay the credit. 

After all, when you hear about an adjustment that was made, how many times do you hear it from a bad/losing team? It's usually more from a good team that is able to change things up a bit and execute better. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 11:47 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Malone is more of a split end like AJ green.  makes it harder having 2 on the field.   he does look good when hes in the field though. Ross is probably still hurt like half his time in college.  the little ive seen from him im definitely not impressed.   i know he ran a 4.2 but he doesnt look it like Hill displays it.

These players need to get enough snaps so that when/if they are really needed later in the season, they will have some awareness and not be deer-in-the-headlights..
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:25 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I just feel with Ross being on the field on the occasional 3rd and 8 is better than what we have now regardless of blocking. His speed in and of it self will cause corners to back off opening up a screen for Mixon or Gio.

This makes a lot of sense. Lazor and Marvin, read Bengalfan4life's post and do something!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I get that, but just as a counter; as much as you see it and it's credited (halftime adjustment to win a game) it would seem to me that practicing all week only to completely change course would be more of a detriment than a help. 

I don't doubt that a minor change would help, but i would think, better execution would be a better place to lay the credit. 

After all, when you hear about an adjustment that was made, how many times do you hear it from a bad/losing team? It's usually more from a good team that is able to change things up a bit and execute better. 

I think you're making the mistake that the Bengals are like the Patriots, who change up their game plan for teams, lol. The Bengals are one type of team and they aren't able to morph, and that's why it looks like they don't make half time adjustments, because they can't.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I get that, but just as a counter; as much as you see it and it's credited (halftime adjustment to win a game) it would seem to me that practicing all week only to completely change course would be more of a detriment than a help. 

Well as a counter to your counter  Cool ; If what you're doing clearly isn't working, I'd say staying the course would be more of a detriment than switching things up. 

If you game plan for something and the opponent isn't showing what you thought they would, shouldn't you react?

Rather than stick with something that's not working just because you practiced on it?

A sudden 180 in "execution" seems less likely a reason for these drastic halftime turnarounds than "the coaches saw something and made a change or threw in a wrinkle". Just to make it clear, are you saying you think teams adjusting or making changes is a myth? That's how it read to me. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 04:57 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think you're making the mistake that the Bengals are like the Patriots, who change up their game plan for teams, lol. The Bengals are one type of team and they aren't able to morph, and that's why it looks like they don't make half time adjustments, because they can't.

I'm not making the mistake. I'm just spitballing on adjustments in general and Marv's take on the subject specifically.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 05:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: (1)Well as a counter to your counter  Cool ; If what you're doing clearly isn't working, I'd say staying the course would be more of a detriment than switching things up. 

(2)If you game plan for something and the opponent isn't showing what you thought they would, shouldn't you react?

Rather than stick with something that's not working just because you practiced on it?

(3)A sudden 180 in "execution" seems less likely a reason for these drastic halftime turnarounds than "the coaches saw something and made a change or threw in a wrinkle". Just to make it clear, are you saying you think teams adjusting or making changes is a myth? That's how it read to me. 

1. Yup yup.

2. Mos' def

3. I don't think i expressed it properly. I don't think it's a myth at all--whether in-game or halftime--i think there's a combination of doing something different and executing better. I just lean towards better execution when you put them on the scale. Going back to my previous point, when you hear about a halftime adjustment that made the difference, it's usually done by a team that's good more often than not. Of course, you could say a team is that way because they adjust better than their opponents. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 11:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Stained?

Did you mean strained? 

And the support you give this guy after just 5 weeks is amazing.  I hope you and every other individual crapping on this guy eats a ton of crow when he starts doing what he is capable of and what he was brought here to do.

You got me. I'm not trying to crap all over him I just have a feeling he won't be back for a while since we know how injuries and bengals players mix so well together. I've been rooting him on since draft day but I'm hoping he doesn't have some lingering injury that keeps him out for 6 months
Reply/Quote

Did you mean strained? 

And the support you give this guy after just 5 weeks is amazing.  I hope you and every other individual crapping on this guy eats a ton of crow when he starts doing what he is capable of and what he was brought here to do.

You got me. I'm not trying to crap all over him I just have a feeling he won't be back for a while since we know how injuries and bengals players mix so well together. I've been rooting him on since draft day but I'm hoping he doesn't have some lingering injury that keeps him out for 6 months
Reply/Quote

Did you mean strained? 

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:25 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I just feel with Ross being on the field on the occasional 3rd and 8 is better than what we have now regardless of blocking. His speed in and of it self will cause corners to back off opening up a screen for Mixon or Gio.

This is a good point with Ross he can just run a Go and he's out of there faster than anyone else, just get a couple defenders out of the middle of the field for someone like Gio to exploit. #armchairing

Honestly I'd like to see Ross line up at WR but in a sprint position (2 hands on the ground), just to scare the eff out of defenders and also make us fans laugh.

[Image: 3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ross not expected to play today against the Steelers. Why did we draft this guy again? Regardless of what Marvin says...he is not injured! Get him on the field!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: This is a good point with Ross he can just run a Go and he's out of there faster than anyone else, just get a couple defenders out of the middle of the field for someone like Gio to exploit. #armchairing

Honestly I'd like to see Ross line up at WR but in a sprint position (2 hands on the ground), just to scare the eff out of defenders and also make us fans laugh.

[Image: 3.jpg]

The combine obviously is in shorts with no pads. I wonder if his game speed isn't as overwhelmingly fast compared to other guys?

Some guys look great in shorts...then you get the pads on and have guys out there hitting them and they don't look as great.
Reply/Quote
He seems kind of brittle already. He had one somewhat memorable play in pre-season with a couple nice jukes. I guess it's not like he's The Flash, but if he was out ahead of someone I'd expect them to not catch him if it's a race.

[Image: ezra_miller_flash_running_v3_by_bryanzap-daoonu8.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:47 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Ross not expected to play today against the Steelers. Why did we draft this guy again? Regardless of what Marvin says...he is not injured! Get him on the field!

It's been a bad year for rookies with injuries. Allen out for the year in Washington with a foot injury. Foster has been hurt much of the year. Williams in San Diego. Ross.

As to why we drafted him, it didn't look like we needed a WR during the offseason with Core, Lafell, Boyd, etc. But Boyd and Core rarely see the field and Lafell has been terrible.

We definitely need a WR. The question becomes if Ross is the right guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's been a bad year for rookies with injuries. Allen out for the year in Washington with a foot injury. Foster has been hurt much of the year. Williams in San Diego. Ross.

As to why we drafted him, it didn't look like we needed a WR during the offseason with Core, Lafell, Boyd, etc. But Boyd and Core rarely see the field and Lafell has been terrible.

Gordon Hayward out within 3 minutes (not a rookie but newbie to a team, still!)
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's been a bad year for rookies with injuries. Allen out for the year in Washington with a foot injury. Foster has been hurt much of the year. Williams in San Diego. Ross.

Bingo. Some of us saw this need ahead of time. 

Ross being injured sucks, but there's no doubt we need a WR. He should be back next week, but I have a feeling he's in Marvin's dog house, so we'll see.
Reply/Quote