Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Seen This TJ interview?
(07-11-2018, 12:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: It's not as if most football players are paid like a janitor at Wendys..  The way I see it, if you're making over a million bucks a year and you can't buy your own jock strap then you probably weren't paying one bit of attention during those college math classes.. You earn a couple of million bucks a season you really ought to be investing in the tools of your trade. A jock strap qualifies as one of the tools..  in fact would you trust anyone else to even touch your jock strap? 
I bought all of my own tools and was never paid anywhere even remotely close to an nfl salary..  The team shouldn't have to buy your freaking jock strap for you. 

They are millionaires, but their employers are billionaires. Seems like a silly thing to have your employees worrying about. Everything like that should be provided so their minds can be 100% on football.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 07:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: TJs stories are a bit, just a bit, embellished. Maybe not on purpose, it was a long time ago. About the jock straps; they weren't used. They would just wash them and throw them all in one bin. They didn't do personal laundry for the players so when the jock straps were washed, they would throw them all in one bin and the players would wade through them all and, hopefully, find the one they'd used before. 

The story about towels is true. He would buy the cheapest regular sized towels they could find and they just weren't big enough for most of the guys so a couple guys on the team (mentioned in the article) went out and bought some big towels for their teammates.

You've already heard the story about the gatorade from JJoe. 
Why wouldn't they put their names or initials on the jock straps.  Problem solved. 

Like I keep saying, TJ can't handle not being in the spotlight so he gossips like a 13 year old girl.
(07-11-2018, 12:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: It's not as if most football players are paid like a janitor at Wendys..  The way I see it, if you're making over a million bucks a year and you can't buy your own jock strap then you probably weren't paying one bit of attention during those college math classes.. You earn a couple of million bucks a season you really ought to be investing in the tools of your trade. A jock strap qualifies as one of the tools..  in fact would you trust anyone else to even touch your jock strap? 
I bought all of my own tools and was never paid anywhere even remotely close to an nfl salary..  The team shouldn't have to buy your freaking jock strap for you. 

I agree that they're not paid like janitors and should be able to afford things, but let's not forget that they're taxed at 40 or 50%, so why it's hard to feel bad for them, a player with a million dollar contract isn't taking home a million after taxes, his agent's cut, and then I'm sure there's other league fees or player's organization fees.
Reply/Quote
Hard to believe the accuracy of that story. Not saying some of it’s not legit but I believe Faulk presented a more believable version.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 03:00 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why wouldn't they put their names or initials on the jock straps.  Problem solved. 

Like I keep saying, TJ can't handle not being in the spotlight so he gossips like a 13 year old girl.

I agree that they're not paid like janitors and should be able to afford things, but let's not forget that they're taxed at 40 or 50%, so why it's hard to feel bad for them, a player with a million dollar contract isn't taking home a million after taxes, his agent's cut, and then I'm sure there's other league fees or player's organization fees.

Well , ya know. If a player can afford to buy a new Lamboghini they can probably afford a jock strap. If they can't buy their own jock strap they probably shouldn't be in the new sports car market.. 
Any mechanics or carpenters out there who don't own their own tools of the trade? I don't know any. I've worked in a lot of shops where if you don't have your own tools you don't have a job. It's that simple. 
Are professional athletes so above the rest of the working classes they shouldn't have to invest in themselves beyond their college education? I don't think so. When I was in the auto body business nobody bought my tools for me. I personally invested in my own tools and didn't earn much money until I did. Why should athletes be any different ?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 08:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well , ya know. If a player can afford to buy a new Lamboghini they can probably afford a jock strap. If they can't buy their own jock strap they probably shouldn't be in the new sports car market.. 

This was my reasoning too; Joseph pissed me off about the Gatorade comment, simply because its an absolutely frivolous thing to bring up and makes HIM look petty/cheap.

Furthermore, I can guarantee you that at least, during TC, that they did NOT have to buy their own Gatorade, as Carsone mentioned in two different episodes (or was it just two different times in a single episode?) of Hard Knocks, that he really liked the flavour that one of the team guys made the Gatorade.

So the players are buying the packets and giving it to random members of the team's coaches, for them to make?

Don't buy that for a second.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 03:00 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why wouldn't they put their names or initials on the jock straps.  Problem solved. 

Because you use bleach when you wash them. Ink gone.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
One of my favorite 'current' stories about how cheap the Bengals are has to do with sock colors. You'll notice that when the Bengals wear white on white, they almost always wear orange and white socks. However, this isn't the case in the preseason, where they wear the black and white socks that also match with the black jerseys. Evidently they do this because Mikey doesn't want to pay for socks for guys that won't play beyond the preseason.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
Not sure why people are knocking TJ. He was talking about the culture before Marvin got here. Some people just can't handle any sort of criticism of the team. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 09:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because you use bleach when you wash them. Ink gone.

Take a knife and carve your number or initials into the jock strap.  Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 12:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Take a knife and carve your number or initials into the jock strap.  Problem solved.

And then a guy gets cut and you have a frayed jock strap with some random number on it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike starts supplying water, Gatorade, and jockstraps = Playoffs

Makes me wonder what would happen if he built a practice bubble instead of having players inhale the Cincinnati smog via Ohio River vapor droplets.

Reply/Quote
The frugalness for the jock straps is definitely overboard. It's no wonder no free agent wanted to be a Bengal unless they had no other NFL option.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 12:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Take a knife and carve your number or initials into the jock strap.  Problem solved.

Wood jock straps?? Gotta be uncomfortable.... :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 03:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wood jock straps?? Gotta be uncomfortable.... :giggle:

You think plastic is soft?  The whole point of a jockstrap is to protect the boys, and you can carve into plastic.
Reply/Quote
on the bright side we may be cheap but we haven't had staff infection outbreak like the buccs or browns. those tend to happen due to unsanitary conditions. also weren't we first team to have mri machine inside stadium
Reply/Quote
That was an embarrassing read.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I am shocked that people are defending Mike here. The guy is a cheap, unaccountable Jackass, and a man who has zero competitive bones in his body. It is know wonder why this team can't win because that man is a complete jackass.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am shocked that people are defending Mike here. The guy is a cheap, unaccountable Jackass, and a man who has zero competitive bones in his body. It is know wonder why this team can't win because that man is a complete jackass.

Disagree he’s not competitive. He’s just stubborn and it’s his way or the highway. Have never really believed all he cares about is money though. How many billions does one person need? I’m sure his lack of postseason success bothers him. Especially compared to his dad.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 03:24 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Mike starts supplying water, Gatorade, and jockstraps = Playoffs

Makes me wonder what would happen if he built a practice bubble instead of having players inhale the Cincinnati smog via Ohio River vapor droplets.

it all comes down from pissburg!

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2018, 11:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Disagree he’s not competitive. He’s just stubborn and it’s his way or the highway. Have never really believed all he cares about is money though. How many billions does one person need? I’m sure his lack of postseason success bothers him. Especially compared to his dad.

don't you EVER compare elmer fudd to the late GREAT PAUL BROWN!!!

Reply/Quote