Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Seen the Rolling Stones live in the past few years?
Just curious:  

The Stones are obviously a legendary band.  That said, I've been hesitant to see them over the years due to their age.  I just assumed that their best days had long past and seeing them now would only hurt my perception of them.  Is that a safe assumption or does the music still hold up?  I just bought ticket to see them play The Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 4th.  I figured if I didn't bite the bullet now, I'd never have the opportunity.  Will I be in for a good show or will I be disappointed?

Seeing Fleetwood Mac in January gives me hope that these old bands can still put on a good show.
Reply/Quote
I really wanted to see them in Columbus but couldn't. Out of town when the are in Indy too. It's probably not great, but to just see them live once would be pretty damn cool. Watching old concerts, Mick didn't exactly kill it singing wise any way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 11:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I really wanted to see them in Columbus but couldn't.  Out of town when the are in Indy too. It's probably not great, but to just see them live once would be pretty damn cool.  Watching old concerts, Mick didn't exactly kill it singing wise any way.

True that.  I am intrigued by the venue.  I think this will be the first time that the IMS is open strictly for a concert.
Reply/Quote
No one has seen the Stones live since 1985. It's been holograms and animatronics since.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 12:41 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No one has seen the Stones live since 1985. It's been holograms and animatronics since.

See the Stones is eventually gonna be like visiting the hall of presidents at Disney:

[Image: newcitizens130.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 11:47 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Just curious:  

The Stones are obviously a legendary band.  That said, I've been hesitant to see them over the years due to their age.  I just assumed that their best days had long past and seeing them now would only hurt my perception of them.  Is that a safe assumption or does the music still hold up?  I just bought ticket to see them play The Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 4th.  I figured if I didn't bite the bullet now, I'd never have the opportunity.  Will I be in for a good show or will I be disappointed?

Seeing Fleetwood Mac in January gives me hope that these old bands can still put on a good show.

I've seen them 3 times.  They were OK in 1994 and 1997...  I saw them at Nationwide Arena in 05.... Garbage.  They are gonna play the same old tired set...  Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter...  It's not that they are horrible live now, but they definitely mail it in.  Age has nothing to do with it.  I saw Bruce Springsteen last year, and he puts on a 3 hr show.  Each night is different from the one before, and it's obvious that he still loves doing it.  The Stones are going thru the motions.  If you've never seen them before, you will probably dig it... My folks liked the show in Columbus.

I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but I do like them. My cousin said they were great this time around. I would expect less from this show... Not a bad night out though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:40 PM)jason Wrote: I've seen them 3 times.  They were OK in 1994 and 1997...  I saw them at Nationwide Arena in 05.... Garbage.  They are gonna play the same old tired set...  Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter...  It's not that they are horrible live now, but they definitely mail it in.  Age has nothing to do with it.  I saw Bruce Springsteen last year, and he puts on a 3 hr show.  Each night is different from the one before, and it's obvious that he still loves doing it.  The Stones are going thru the motions.  If you've never seen them before, you will probably dig it... My folks liked the show in Columbus.

I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but I do like them.  My cousin said they were great this time around.  I would expect less from this show...  Not a bad night out though.

Thanks.  Nice to know that age isn't the issue.  My hope is that playing the Speedway will give them some incentive not to "mail it in".  Hopefully there will be a huge turnout.  They are hoping for 80,000.  Hard to think they will draw that many people.  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:46 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Thanks.  Nice to know that age isn't the issue.  My hope is that playing the Speedway will give them some incentive not to "mail it in".  Hopefully there will be a huge turnout.  They are hoping for 80,000.  Hard to think they will draw that many people.  

just said on the radio that the 'rumor' is they've sold 42 thousand tix as of today. And they were saying that wasn't very good. I think that it being on the Fourth of July has something to do with it.  I mean, nothing screams 'Americas Independence from Britain' like 'Aging British rock band' am i right? Ninja

And the Speedway seems like it'd be neat, but I don't know how well it's going to work out. Since they've never done it before I'm kind of leery. I'm sure the expensive seats will be fine, but I don't know how it's going to play in the 'cheaper' seats.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:46 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Thanks.  Nice to know that age isn't the issue.  My hope is that playing the Speedway will give them some incentive not to "mail it in".  Hopefully there will be a huge turnout.  They are hoping for 80,000.  Hard to think they will draw that many people.  

If you've never seen them, I think you will like it...  My main issue with them is I feel like I saw the same show 3 times.  Just don't expect a lot of obscure songs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 06:26 PM)Donnyho Wrote: just said on the radio that the 'rumor' is they've sold 42 thousand tix as of today. And they were saying that wasn't very good. I think that it being on the Fourth of July has something to do with it.  I mean, nothing screams 'Americas Independence from Britain' like 'Aging British rock band' am i right? Ninja

And the Speedway seems like it'd be neat, but I don't know how well it's going to work out. Since they've never done it before I'm kind of leery. I'm sure the expensive seats will be fine, but I don't know how it's going to play in the 'cheaper' seats.

Got to love the irony.

Most people in the cheap seats will be drunk anyways. It is the IMS after all. I bought the middle tier general admission seats @ $117 a pop.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:40 PM)jason Wrote: I've seen them 3 times.  They were OK in 1994 and 1997...  I saw them at Nationwide Arena in 05.... Garbage.  They are gonna play the same old tired set...  Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter...  It's not that they are horrible live now, but they definitely mail it in.  Age has nothing to do with it.  I saw Bruce Springsteen last year, and he puts on a 3 hr show.  Each night is different from the one before, and it's obvious that he still loves doing it.  The Stones are going thru the motions.  If you've never seen them before, you will probably dig it... My folks liked the show in Columbus.

I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but I do like them.  My cousin said they were great this time around.  I would expect less from this show...  Not a bad night out though.

Fleetwood Mac is just plain better with Christine McVie on board.  Stevie Nicks is the one who gets all the credit, but I always liked McVie better.  
Reply/Quote
I'd rather watch stones roll.
Reply/Quote
Read good reviews on the Columbus show. I saw them many years ago in Riverfront. They had the entire stadium dancing & singing. One of my favorite shows from back in the day.

Missed out on Fleetwood Mac this go around. And you're right they would be better with Christine McVie on board.
Still love Stevie though & always will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 12:08 AM)samhain Wrote: Fleetwood Mac is just plain better with Christine McVie on board.  Stevie Nicks is the one who gets all the credit, but I always liked McVie better.  

That's why they are such a good band: so versatile. McVie sounded good given her long hiatus. Nicks was on point too.
Reply/Quote