Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody want to.discuss the current state of the LBers?
Curious enough the Bengals added depth in the secondary
Ricardo Allen, Eli Apple, Mike Hilton
Added some intresting pieces on the D-line
Trey Hendrickson, Larry Ogenjobi.
Had conversations with Ryan Kerrigan.

But they did nothing in.regards to the LBers.
Last time I.checked games can be won or lost
At the 2nd level especially with the evolution
Of the TE position.

Right now the Bengals LB core is easily in the
Bottom of the AFC talent wise.
Germaine Pratt is kinda meh. He just doesnt
Make enough impact plays.
Logan Wilson showed some real promise and range
Akeem Davis Gaither had his struggles with the
Speed of the NFL game at times
Markus Bailey looks a career special teamer
Jordan Evans had his best year but he is a role player
At best.

Looking at the list of available LBers
I.dont understand why guys like Justin Houston, have not
Been looked at. He can still close in and finish off
The QB.

Our LBers are young and seem.to.be lacking
That savy vet to help accelerate their growth
(Think Dhani Jones)
Another thing....drafting a Kyle Pitts would allow these
Lbers to actually get better on coverage downfield in practice
Guarding Sample or Uzomah or Shreck isnt
Exactly prepping them.for the likes of Ebron, Andrews
Or Gieski on game day.

Maybe they draft a Jamin Davis on day 2
Or whoever.
I cant see Lou going into 2021 with what they have
Reply/Quote
I think we should take Jamarr Chase.

Mellow

Our LB's are terrible, frankly...and I'm surprised we didn't address it better during free agency. We'll probably throw a mid-round pick on one and call it a day. We have so many needs and only one draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our LB's are terrible, frankly...and I'm surprised we didn't address it better during free agency. 

I think thats an understatement, I felt the front office did shit in free agency. I think the number one priority this offseason is new pretty uniforms Ninja
Reply/Quote
Linebacker is one of those positions it takes 3 years and it didnt help the Bengals interior line struggled in alot of different aspects like getting off blocks and even playing the correct gaps. Early in the season was the worst several times you seen 2 or even 3 players trying to fill the same gap. Germaine Pratt in 2019 was one of the best run stopping LBers when he was starting but had issues in Pass Defense. In 2020 he was one of the worst run stopping linebackers and took a step forward in Pass defense.

Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson had some really nice bright spots and I liked how Lou worked his rookie linebackers into the lineup on 3rd down no matter the down and distance. ADG started out slow which was expected because he had never actually played traditional linebacker but ended the season on a high note.

Im looking forward to seeing how the young guys progress especially if the Defensive Line in front of them plays better.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals drafted what 3 good looking LBers last year and Pratt the year before. Gotta give them a freaking chance before drafting new guys we won’t give a chance. Come on. Not saying they will be great but jeez
Reply/Quote
Probably pointless to post this because it would never happen and I think our linebackers are adequate with potential to get better. But this year is loaded with talent in positions of need in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and not to mention quite a few game changing linebackers in the 1st. That you could trade out of 5 with a couple trades into the 20s and get the kind of linebacker that changes that whole position group. All while getting enough 2nd & 3rd picks to get 2 OL, WR and DE. While I'm living the fantasy life we could trade Zac Taylor to the chiefs for Eric Bienemy and maybe some future late RD picks. Not sure how the point system would work on that one.
Reply/Quote
This thread needs it's own subforum. "All things other than Chase v. Sewell"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
TKO and Burfict said trade back and take Parsons. (Just kidding)

Got our QB on offense last year. Get the QB on defense this year. Shock the world

We have to draft at least one. But I am really excited for the development of our starting trio. Pratt Wilson and ADG will end up being really good. Looking forward to Wilson and ADG being on the field even more. I think we hit a couple home runs with Wilson and ADG.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Bengals drafted what 3 good looking LBers last year and Pratt the year before. Gotta give them a freaking chance before drafting new guys we won’t give a chance. Come on. Not saying they will be great but jeez

This.

It’s also the least of my worries wrt the defense. Especially when there’s usually only two LBers on the field. I think the secondary is solid with Bates, Bell, Waynes, Awuzie, and Hilton. We just need a pass rush. A duo of Hendrickson and Hubbard doesn’t fill me with confidence...

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 08:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

It’s also the least of my worries wrt the defense. Especially when there’s usually only two LBers on the field. I think the secondary is solid with Bates, Bell, Waynes, Awuzie, and Hilton. We just need a pass rush. A duo of Hendrickson and Hubbard doesn’t fill me with confidence...

I've never understood the opinion that we only play 2 LBs so it's really not that important...We only play 1 QB. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The best way to describe the outlook of the linebacker group is to be determined. Hopefully guys like Wilson and Davis-Gaither pan out or they could end up like all the other linebackers we’ve drafted in the middle rounds.The Bengals have picked in the top 5 the last 2 years because the roster is a mess. We have so many holes to plug at multiple position groups it’s tough to address them all plus your in 2 linebackers sets most of the time and they got 3 young guys. Personally I think pass rushers, lineman , corners, and receivers are all more important then linebackers. If there’s a guy they love in a later round of the draft that they feel they can’t pass on I’d be fine with it.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 08:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

I'm worried about that too. That's honestly what would worry me most about drafting Chase. If we get to the 2nd and there's a couple of highly rated DE and we have to reach down the board a little for an OL can we pass the DE up? We need someone who can come in and give Hubbard and Hendrickson a breather and also possible start in case of injury. Also hopefully we can still manage to sign Kerrigan or someone equivalent after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've never understood the opinion that we only play 2 LBs so it's really not that important...We only play 1 QB. 

Didn’t say it’s not important. Said it’s not as important as a good pass rush and secondary.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 08:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: TKO and Burfict said trade back and take Parsons. (Just kidding)

Got our QB on offense last year. Get the QB on defense this year. Shock the world

We have to draft at least one. But I am really excited for the development of our starting trio. Pratt Wilson and ADG will end up being really good. Looking forward to Wilson and ADG being on the field even more. I think we hit a couple home runs with Wilson and ADG.

What warrants the excitement behind ADG? Wilson made a few splash plays and was meh. I think the linebackers are in the eye of the beholder right now. I’m beholding some low level Vigil type dudes...
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What warrants the excitement behind ADG? Wilson made a few splash plays and was meh. I think the linebackers are in the eye of the beholder right now. I’m beholding some low level Vigil type dudes...

I thought Wilson.flashed some play making ability. 
ADG looked overwhelmed at times.
Pratt to.this day hasnt impressed me. 
Bailey is Nick Vigil 2.0
I ask myself "how many of these LBers could start for 
Other AFC North teams?.......
My.answer was zero. 

Right now I see many have high hopes for the LBers
Because they are young. 
But the Steelers and Ravens rookie LBers clearly outplayed
Our rookie LBers.
I know the Bengals had a change at LBer coach.
Maybe it will.translate to better on field performance
Reply/Quote
The Bengals LBers have the disadvantage of Lou's harebrained defensive scheme. If they would just go to 3 LB as the base (or 4) and make their responsibilities consistent they would develop better. The old arguments about needing to go only 2 LB because our LBers could not defend the pass aren't valid anymore after we drafted 3 LB who all scouted in college as good pass defenders.
Reply/Quote
4 LB's have 1st rd grades this year and we could get some major draft capitol trading back to the point that they would be projected probably a couple extra day 2 picks. Also day 2 happens to be filled with positions of need for the Bengals. Imagine Micah Parsons a WR , 2 OL and DE all in the first 3 rounds. Might be far fetched but it just looks so good.
Reply/Quote
Cam Magrone out of Michigan might be there in the 5th for us. He's highly underrated and could be an upgrade to Pratt.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 05:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Curious enough the Bengals added depth in the secondary
Ricardo Allen, Eli Apple, Mike Hilton
Added some intresting pieces on the D-line
Trey Hendrickson, Larry Ogenjobi.
Had conversations with Ryan Kerrigan.

But they did nothing in.regards to the LBers.
Last time I.checked games can be won or lost
At the 2nd level especially with the evolution
Of the TE position.

Right now the Bengals LB core is easily in the
Bottom of the AFC talent wise.
Germaine Pratt is kinda meh. He just doesnt
Make enough impact plays.
Logan Wilson showed some real promise and range
Akeem Davis Gaither had his struggles with the
Speed of the NFL game at times
Markus Bailey looks a career special teamer
Jordan Evans had his best year but he is a role player
At best.

Looking at the list of available LBers
I.dont understand why guys like Justin Houston, have not
Been looked at. He can still close in and finish off
The QB.

Our LBers are young and seem.to.be lacking
That savy vet to help accelerate their growth
(Think Dhani Jones)
Another thing....drafting a Kyle Pitts would allow these
Lbers to actually get better on coverage downfield in practice
Guarding Sample or Uzomah or Shreck isnt
Exactly prepping them.for the likes of Ebron, Andrews
Or Gieski on game day.

Maybe they draft a Jamin Davis on day 2
Or whoever.
I cant see Lou going into 2021 with what they have

Bro I’ve given up on the bengals and most in here on trying to talk linebacker. But I’m with you.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've never understood the opinion that we only play 2 LBs so it's really not that important...We only play 1 QB. 

For some reason I laughed really loud when I read this.
Reply/Quote