Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody want to.discuss the current state of the LBers?
That’s why they put such a big emphasis on run stoppers in free agency last year. They went out and got one of the better NT’s in the league in Reader, and signed Bell (who’s much better against the run than he is in coverage). Then you have the pair of day 2 LBers we took in back-to-back years (Pratt & Wilson).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
As much as I want them to sign Rueben Foster I am excited about our linebacker and who steps up. We really just need one of them to be a stud but he needs to be a stud like they were in college. I hope it’s Gaither Davis. I fee like he could be electric all over the field type! Wilson did show some signs too. We will see I just do hate how the linebackers get ignored early in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 01:45 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Was listening to Duke Tobin being interviewed on a podcast, and when asked about the linebackers, he seemed to imply that the organization has pretty high hopes for Wilson.   He was the one guy that he seemed to mention the most.   Also, I guess I'm not as quick to throw dirt on Bailey considering the injury, rust, being a rookie etc.  I liked the pick when we made it and still do at this point.  

Kind of figured Wilson would be the one the FO has the most high hopes for but actually I think both ADG and Bailey have
just as high of ceilings IMO. ADG is the most raw and as the game slows down for him and we blitz him more I think he could
be a gamechanger. He also has speed when he isn't confused like he was as a rookie. Bailey is a playmaker when healthy.

Wilson I thought would be the more solid LB early which was the case last year, but he came around even faster than I thought
with his instincts and making plays. I think we might be alright, Pratt was the disappointment for me last year as I thought he 
would of been our breakout Defensive player. Kind of hard on the LB's when you have pretty much completely backup DT's 
playing in front of them all season.

Linebackers feed off how DL fill gaps to free them up. Hasn't been good play in this aspect for a couple years and before that 
we had the worst LB core in the NFL when we had Vigil, Preston and Evans starting. Burfict was our last good LB and he was 
bad his last year here, real bad.

(04-26-2021, 03:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Bailey did little know how well he will be.. ADG was subpar as a rookie.. Logan was good for a rookie. none made any all rookie team

True, didn't expect any of them to.

(04-27-2021, 01:21 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Yards allowed per game:

2020 - 148.0, ranked 29th

2019 - 148.9, ranked 32nd

2018 - 137.8, ranked 29th

2017 - 127.9, ranked 30th

2016 - 113.3, ranked 21st

I don't have the yards per carry numbers off-hand, but I can't imagine it's much better.

Terrible, I hate being ran on too. I can handle getting passed on but getting ran all over is the most embarassing to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of figured Wilson would be the one the FO has the most high hopes for but actually I think both ADG and Bailey have
just as high of ceilings IMO. ADG is the most raw and as the game slows down for him and we blitz him more I think he could
be a gamechanger. He also has speed when he isn't confused like he was as a rookie. Bailey is a playmaker when healthy.

Wilson I thought would be the more solid LB early which was the case last year, but he came around even faster than I thought
with his instincts and making plays. I think we might be alright, Pratt was the disappointment for me last year as I thought he 
would of been our breakout Defensive player. Kind of hard on the LB's when you have pretty much completely backup DT's 
playing in front of them all season.

Linebackers feed off how DL fill gaps to free them up. Hasn't been good play in this aspect for a couple years and before that 
we had the worst LB core in the NFL when we had Vigil, Preston and Evans starting. Burfict was our last good LB and he was 
bad his last year here, real bad.
Well said ! It pretty much sums up my thoughts on them exactly. I like the points made about ADG, especially considering the small school he came from and draft position. In hindsight, perhaps the experience he was forced into can turn out to be a blessing in disguise for his development.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Pratt was the disappointment for me last year as I thought he would of been our breakout Defensive player. 

Same.

The last 4 games of 2019 he was getting to play full time and making plays all over the place.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:20 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Well said !  It pretty much sums up my thoughts on them exactly.  I like the points made about ADG, especially considering the small school he came from and draft position.  In hindsight, perhaps the experience he was forced into can turn out to be a blessing in disguise for his development.

You know your Linebacker play Dr.Z. ADG did get some good experience that he can learn from, hope he comes along quick 
cause he could be a fantastic player with his length, athleticism, speed, pass rush skills and he CAN cover. Just didn't look like
it as a rookie, he was just overwhelmed understandably coming from a small college.

What is crazy is Logan also came from a small college and he seemed to belong almost immediately. Takes good angles and 
seems to be in the right spot. Something we haven't seen from our Linebackers much of in the last 4 or 5 years.

Bailey if he stays healthy could be just as good as any of them too. 2nd round talent.

(04-27-2021, 10:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same.

The last 4 games of 2019 he was getting to play full time and making plays all over the place.

Yeah, don't know what happened. He still plays extremely hard and never gives up even when him or another LB is beat.

Have to give him that but he needs to take better angles especially in the run game. Having a healthy Reader, Tupou, Larry 
Ogunjobi along with Hubbard, Hendrickson and Kareem should help.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 01:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know your Linebacker play Dr.Z. ADG did get some good experience that he can learn from, hope he comes along quick 
cause he could be a fantastic player with his length, athleticism, speed, pass rush skills and he CAN cover. Just didn't look like
it as a rookie, he was just overwhelmed understandably coming from a small college.

What is crazy is Logan also came from a small college and he seemed to belong almost immediately. Takes good angles and 
seems to be in the right spot. Something we haven't seen from our Linebackers much of in the last 4 or 5 years.

Bailey if he stays healthy could be just as good as any of them too. 2nd round talent.
Thank you Nate, and ditto my friend .
Reply/Quote
Did Josh Bynes resign? I'm okay with returning our LB's from last year and focusing on other holes myself. I'm not sold on our young group, but I do think they can improve dramatically with experience and I'm willing to see how they fare with another year.

Also the defensive line was not the greatest either last year due to injuries and such. Hopefully experience and some general health on the defense will help a lot.
Reply/Quote
Promising IMO. But a playmaker, like in a lot of areas, would be welcome.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 06:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Bengals drafted what 3 good looking LBers last year and Pratt the year before. Gotta give them a freaking chance before drafting new guys we won’t give a chance. Come on. Not saying they will be great but jeez

Exactly, and three of those guys got substantial playing time last year.  I have high hopes for Bailey, and think if Pratt doesn't up his game Bailey may take his spot in nickel with Wilson. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see another LB picked up from a team that makes some cuts after June 1st.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly, and three of those guys got substantial playing time last year.  I have high hopes for Bailey, and think if Pratt doesn't up his game Bailey may take his spot in nickel with Wilson. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see another LB picked up from a team that makes some cuts after June 1st.  

I guess my question would be is, if the front office spent over $200 milliion dollars on the defense in the last 2 off seasons in free agency why do they need to spend more?  I mean i'd hope with $200 million you'd have a defense that'll be ranked somewhere in the mid-teens/upper-teens.  

However, it all comes down to whether Lou can actually coach.  There's a huge difference being a DB coach and a defensive coordinator.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 03:59 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Did Josh Bynes resign? I'm okay with returning our LB's from last year and focusing on other holes myself. I'm not sold on our young group, but I do think they can improve dramatically with experience and I'm willing to see how they fare with another year.

Also the defensive line was not the greatest either last year due to injuries and such. Hopefully experience and some general health on the defense will help a lot.

Bynes did not re-sign. We are looking at a projected group of Pratt, Wilson and Gaither.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 09:04 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I guess my question would be is, if the front office spent over $200 milliion dollars on the defense in the last 2 off seasons in free agency why do they need to spend more?  I mean i'd hope with $200 million you'd have a defense that'll be ranked somewhere in the mid-teens/upper-teens.  

However, it all comes down to whether Lou can actually coach.  There's a huge difference being a DB coach and a defensive coordinator.  

Well, there is a bit of synergy that could happen here.  The Bengals spent money on slot CB, outside CB (2), DT, and DE.  Those positions all make the job of the LB easier if they do their job.  
Reply/Quote
I think while their is valid high hopes for ADG Wilson and Pratt
It seems because of very porous LB play over the last couple
Years the bar is lowered on the Bengals LBers

I.just notice when the Ravens or Steelers draft
Young LB they seem to.get acclaimated to the pro
Game sooner than.later and by end of rookie
Year they are making meaningful plays

But the Bengals LBers always seem.like it takes forever
And a day to get up.to NFL speed.
Who.was the last Bengals rookie LB that came