Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody want to move to Steelers country?
Just sharing this here because I know there are a lot of ties to the area on this board.

https://www.thepreferredrealty.com/real-estate/1484324/483-kreinbrook-hill-rd-bullskin-twp-pa-15666/

This is my uncle's house. He passed in August and I'm handling the estate. We just put the house up for sale, yesterday. He built it all himself with some help from family, including my father doing all the wiring (he was an actual electrician, don't worry) and me helping out.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Wait! Does it get cold in the winter time up there? Nope! In fact I'd rather mess my pants and ride a bicycle a on a hot, humid windless day uphill both ways first, but don't despair.. Some sap will fall for it.. I'm kidding.. I won't ride a bicycle..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice home, right up in the heart of Trout Country!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 08:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wait! Does it get cold in the winter time up there? Nope! In fact I'd rather mess my pants and ride a bicycle a on a hot, humid windless day uphill both ways first, but don't despair.. Some sap will fall for it.. I'm kidding.. I won't ride a bicycle..

Not only does it get cold in that area, but the house is in what's called a microclimate where you are almost guaranteed it will be colder and windier than it is a couple miles down the road. LOL

(02-02-2021, 08:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice home, right up in the heart of Trout Country!

Yeah it is. Unfortunately, I was unable to take advantage of that as I've been dealing with the estate; just too much to do and no room in the car for my gear. But there is some great fishing and hunting all around that area. Hell, right across the road there are woods that have produced deer for my uncle on several occasions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I hitch hiked through the area years ago on the first day of hunting season along the turnpike,, Never saw so many drunk fools driving on the highways shooting at damned near anything that moved. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.. To be honest I still don't know how I made it back home alive or at least without a few bullet holes in me. I did sprain my ankle after jumping from a bridge to avoid a drunk driver that day.. 
Steeler country? HELL NO!  lol
I've been through a lot of places in hunting season, but nowhere was as crazy as that..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: I hitch hiked through the area years ago on the first day of hunting season along the turnpike,, Never saw so many drunk fools driving on the highways shooting at damned near anything that moved. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.. To be honest I still don't know how I made it back home alive or at least without a few bullet holes in me. I did sprain my ankle after jumping from a bridge to avoid a drunk driver that day.. 
Steeler country? HELL NO!  lol
I've been through a lot of places in hunting season, but nowhere was as crazy as that..

I can't dispute any of this. LOL

This is where I am from. The land this house is on is quite literally a piece of the family farm that was sold off years ago. I don't disagree with any of it.

Reply/Quote
Can I take my New England inflated salary and move to PA cost of living? LOL

Nice home, best of luck.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 04:35 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Can I take my New England inflated salary and move to PA cost of living? LOL

Nice home, best of luck.

What would this house go for in New England? $400K? In my town, this house would go for about $175k. I shit you not either. You can buy a 3 bedroom brick cookie cutter here for about 35k. It's weird how the cost of living sways from a small town border town in oh/in to Pittsburgh to New England.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 08:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What would this house go for in New England? $400K? In my town, this house would go for about $175k. I shit you not either. You can buy a 3 bedroom brick cookie cutter here for about 35k. It's weird how the cost of living sways from a small town border town in oh/in to Pittsburgh to New England.

Don't know about New England (I'd assume it would depend where in NE), but here in south metro Denver, that would sell for $2-3 million, largely because of lot size.  Just very, very few homes can even touch 1/2 acre around here (and those that do are sitting around the million dollar marker).  That same house on a 1/4 plot would probably list about $500-600k.  If the home here has a finished basement, definitely on the higher end of that scale.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:07 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Don't know about New England (I'd assume it would depend where in NE), but here in south metro Denver, that would sell for $2-3 million, largely because of lot size.  Just very, very few homes can even touch 1/2 acre around here (and those that do are sitting around the million dollar marker).  That same house on a 1/4 plot would probably list about $500-600k.  If the home here has a finished basement, definitely on the higher end of that scale.  

Even in the country, on a larger tract, but still commutable to the Raleigh/Durham job market?  That one is easily $600-$750K.  Now, out in BFE, where there aren't many jobs?  Yeah, $200K sounds about right.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 08:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What would this house go for in New England? $400K? In my town, this house would go for about $175k. I shit you not either. You can buy a 3 bedroom brick cookie cutter here for about 35k. It's weird how the cost of living sways from a small town border town in oh/in to Pittsburgh to New England.

I'm in the process of selling a 1 bed 1 bath house built on top of a 2 car garage with 4 acres for 46k about 50 miles south of the OP listing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:07 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Don't know about New England (I'd assume it would depend where in NE), but here in south metro Denver, that would sell for $2-3 million, largely because of lot size.  Just very, very few homes can even touch 1/2 acre around here (and those that do are sitting around the million dollar marker).  That same house on a 1/4 plot would probably list about $500-600k.  If the home here has a finished basement, definitely on the higher end of that scale.  

Holy Schnikies. Thats like watching an episode of something on HGTV. Young couple starting out, baby on the way. They visit a house for sale and its 1 bath, 3BR and a simple living room. Pricetag: 9 centillion dollars. We'll take it.  Shocked

In my town, you get the same house for 45k.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even in the country, on a larger tract, but still commutable to the Raleigh/Durham job market?  That one is easily $600-$750K.  Now, out in BFE, where there aren't many jobs?  Yeah, $200K sounds about right.

Yeah, that house where I am would be around $350k to $400k. What kills the housing market up there, though, area the taxes. Also, that house is in the poorest county in PA. If it were literally a mile or so north, it would be up around $300k (it sits really close to the county line).

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even in the country, on a larger tract, but still commutable to the Raleigh/Durham job market?  That one is easily $600-$750K.  Now, out in BFE, where there aren't many jobs?  Yeah, $200K sounds about right.

Is that because of lot size or just in line with fairly typical property values in the region?  Real estate fascinates me, and the different markets and their individual quirks. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:12 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Is that because of lot size or just in line with fairly typical property values in the region?  Real estate fascinates me, and the different markets and their individual quirks. 

Some of each.  Inside and near the beltways, even new Townhomes are going for $300-$400K in this particular job market.  Even modest new homes, or what one would consider "starter" homes in PRDs are tough to find under $300K.  Working as a Surveyor, I notice property values more than most casual observers.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Realtor texted me that he has one offer in hand and is expecting another one before the end of the day. He's going to call me once he has both in hand.

Reply/Quote
Saw a clip on the housing market earlier this morning. Houses sure not staying on the market long nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:11 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Saw a clip on the housing market earlier this morning. Houses sure not staying on the market long nowadays.

Definitely not. I mean, this was listed Monday evening, and I just accepted an offer for the house at the asking price.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 07:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Definitely not. I mean, this was listed Monday evening, and I just accepted an offer for the house at the asking price.

That's awesome!  It's a great time to be a seller in most of the country it seems.  A little less awesome if you're competing to buy, but hey, can't win 'em all! 
Reply/Quote
Gorgeous work you all did. Impressive.
Reply/Quote